Flora of Panipat District- Monochoria vaginalis

Skip to the first unread message

Balkar Arya

10 Oct 2010, 1:20:34 pm10/10/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Monochoria vaginalis

pls validate
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
tn_Monochoria vaginalis1.JPG
tn_Monochoria vaginalis2.JPG
tn_Monochoria vaginalis3.JPG
tn_Monochoria vaginalis4.JPG
tn_Monochoria vaginalis5.JPG
tn_Monochoria vaginalis6.JPG
tn_Monochoria vaginalis7.JPG

tanay bose

10 Oct 2010, 1:23:38 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
hopefully it was growing near some water if i am not wrong
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Arya

10 Oct 2010, 1:25:09 pm10/10/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix
Yes Tanay
Near a small water body around rice fields

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 1:25:56 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Balkar Arya <balka...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there any other Monochoria available in your area. Because I have
doubts on this identity!! Leaves are too narrow, flowers are white. M.
vaginalis is supposed to have cordate base and blue flowers!! This is
of course a semi aquatic plant.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Balkar Arya

10 Oct 2010, 1:32:21 pm10/10/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Pankaj Ji
Flowers are blue, i dont know why camera could not catch color properly. These photos were taken today only

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 1:35:17 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Leaves are also different. I have seen this plant many times. Never
seen with such leaves. You can google this plant and see the colour
and shape of the leaves there. Many pics are available. I assume there
is a Flora of Haryana available.
You never know, this could be a new species for state!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 1:43:06 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
There is another taxa which is not accepted by Kew but I believe it to
be a distinct plant:

Monochoria vaginalis var. plantaginea (Roxb.) Solms

Though I am not so sure yet.
Thanks for sharing.

Balkar Arya

10 Oct 2010, 1:43:19 pm10/10/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Pankaj Ji
Two diff species are reported from Haryana vaginalis and hastata.
Key indicate vaginalisas
leaves base cordate or truncate- m vaginalis
hastate or sagittate- hastata

Balkar Arya

10 Oct 2010, 1:46:25 pm10/10/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Monochoria vaginalis var. plantaginea (Roxb.) Solms also given as synonym of M vaginalis in flora of Haryana

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 1:47:00 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
I think two species are reported from whole of India but both of them
have varieties. All varieties of Monochoria is considered as synonym
of M. vaginalis. Monochoria hastata has one more variety, M. hastata
var. elata.

Regards

Balkar Arya

10 Oct 2010, 1:48:24 pm10/10/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks Pankaj Ji for more information

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 1:50:52 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
By the way according to your key, your leaves are not truncate!!
neither they are hastate, nor cordate or sagittate. Thats why I had
doubts.
Anyways....
Pankaj

Balkar Arya

10 Oct 2010, 1:56:54 pm10/10/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Agreed Pankaj Ji
I will try to visit that place again in one or two days to observe more plants for leaf morphology. If it comes out to be a new ssp or variety, then it will be a new record from Haryana

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 2:03:42 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
So now you know sir why I had been so against the id. You may try to
find both of them, may be vaginalis and plantaginea, and on the basis
of some prominent characters differentiate it into two distinct
varieties or may be species too and you will get a very good taxonomic
publication that way too.

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 2:10:17 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Just in case you come to the conclusion that your id is correct. Then
also you can write an article on MORPHOLOGICAL AND ANATOMICAL STUDIES
IN LEAVES OF MONOCHORIA VAGINALIS FROM HARYANA.

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 2:19:23 pm10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Sorry, I meant to say
MORPHOLOGICAL AND ANATOMICAL VARIATION IN LEAVES OF MONOCHORIA
VAGINALIS FROM HARYANA.

Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

10 Oct 2010, 2:51:09 pm10/10/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Really great variation if accept it as single taxon. Our Monochoria vaginalis in Kashmir is more like this one

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

10 Oct 2010, 2:53:29 pm10/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yes, this is for sure M. vaginalis. Thanks for sharing....

Balkar Arya

10 Oct 2010, 8:30:17 pm10/10/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thanks for Sharing Gurcharan Ji.
I will try to find out the plant somewhere else also

Gurcharan Singh

11 Oct 2010, 11:12:18 am11/10/10
to Balkar Arya, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Just a clarification
This is not my plant. Just a link from the net, a plant similar to found growing in Kashmir.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

JM Garg

17 Jun 2020, 5:54:20 am17/06/20
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, GurcharanSingh