Small white morning glory (Ipomoea obscura)

J.M. Garg

Jun 20, 2008, 11:17:29 PM6/20/08
to indiantreepix
On 15/6/08 at Vanasthalipuram in Hyderabad, AP.

Here is some data & links from Indiantreepix Database:

Ipomoea obscura Convolvulaceae obscure morning glory, small white morning glory  at Bhadreshwar, Hooghly, West Bengal on 17/10/2007- Debasish ji.

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link on Ipomoeas:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea

The genus Ipomoea is the largest in the family Convolvulaceae, with over 500 species. Most of these are called "morning glories", but this can refer to related genera also. Those formerly separated in Calonyction are called "moonflowers". The genus occurs throughout the tropical and subtropical regions of the world, and comprises annual and perennial herbaceous plants, lianas, shrubs and small trees; most of the species are twining climbing plants.

Human use of Ipomoea is threefold: First, most species have spectacular, colorful flowers and are often grown as ornamental plants, and a number of cultivars have been developed. Their deep flowers attract large Lepidoptera - especially Sphingidae such as the Pink-spotted Hawkmoth (Agrius cingulata) -, or even hummingbirds.

Second, the genus includes food crops; the tubers of Sweet Potato (I. batatas) and the leaves of Water Spinach (I. aquatica) are commercially important food items and have been for millennia.

The third way humans use Ipomoea is due to these plants' content of medically and psychoactive compounds, mainly alkaloids. Some species are renowned for their properties in folk medicine and herbalism; for example Vera Cruz Jalap (I. jalapa) and Tampico Jalap (I. simulans) are used to produce jalap, a cathartic preparation accelerating the passage of stool. Kiribadu Ala (Giant Potato, I. mauritiana) is one of the many ingredients of chyawanprash, the ancient Ayurvedic tonic called "the elixir of life" for its wide-ranging properties.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Small white morning glory (Ipomoea obscura) in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_7089.jpg
Small white morning glory (Ipomoea obscura) in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_7091.jpg