Request for Species ID - 111009 DKV 1

Dev Kumar

Oct 11, 2009, 5:05:05 AM10/11/09
to indiantreepix
Request for Species ID
Mhow, Dist Indore, Madhya Pradesh
Plant observed growing by a roadside in an open ground.

Dev Kumar

DSC05062.JPG
DSC05061.JPG
DSC05064.JPG

Prashant awale

Oct 11, 2009, 5:25:05 AM10/11/09
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear Dev Kumar ji,

This could be Martynia annua
  (Martyniaceae family).

best wishes
Prashant

Dinesh Valke

Oct 11, 2009, 9:24:17 AM10/11/09
to Prashant awale, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
... just as Prashant points out, me too think it to be related to Martynia annua ... attached is photo of M. annua whose flower resembles Sesamum orientale.
Regards.
P1070368.jpg

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Oct 11, 2009, 11:49:05 AM10/11/09
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Yes it is Martynia annua
Santhosh

2009/10/11 Dev Kumar <dev.kumar...@gmail.com>
--
SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar

Dinesh Valke

Nov 12, 2009, 9:22:45 AM11/12/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Martynia annua, commonly known as: devil's claw, iceplant, tiger's-claw • Bengali: বাঘনখী baghnakhi • Hindi: बाघनख baghnakh, हाथाजोड़ी hatha-jori, उलट-कांटा ulat-kanta • Kannada: ಗರುಡ ಮೂಗು ಮುಳ್ಳು garuda mugu mullu, ಹುಲಿ ನಖ huli nakha, ಹುಲಿ ಉಗುರು huli uguru • Malayalam: പുലിനഖം puli-nakham • Marathi: विंचू vinchu • Nepalese: बिरालो-नङ्ग्रि biralo-nangri, ग्रिध्दरनंकी gridharnankee • Oriya: baghanakhi • Sanskrit: काकनसा kakanasa • Tamil: புலிநகம் puli-nakam, தேட்கொடுக்கி tet-kotukki • Telugu: గరుడముకు garudamukku

Regards.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Many thanks Santhosh ji for confirming the ID.
Dear Prashant, I confused myself ... I mis-interpreted DSC05061.JPG.

Regards.