31012011GS5 Ornamental orchid-5 for ID

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

31 Jan 2011, 4:23:30 am31/01/11
to efloraofindia
31012011GS5 Ornamental orchid-5 for ID sold in stores in California, photographed in December..

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Orchid-5-California-1.jpg
Orchid-5-California-2.jpg

mani nair

31 Jan 2011, 4:31:47 am31/01/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, beautiful Phalaenopsis.  Did you purchase any orchids?

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

31 Jan 2011, 4:53:01 am31/01/11
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Yes, a few
They are at my son's house.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

mani nair

31 Jan 2011, 4:55:55 am31/01/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Is this the flowering season of Phalaenopsis?   I am very curious as I have a Phalaenopsis not yet flowered.
Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

31 Jan 2011, 5:05:29 am31/01/11
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Seen only in California, were flowering in plenty in December.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Katarina

31 Jan 2011, 5:20:42 am31/01/11
to efloraofindia
Phalaenopsis can flower year around but their main flowering season
(at least when grown in Sweden) is late autumn after their new flower
stalks are fully grown. They can resprout old flower stalks and
produce more flowers during a long period of time so dont cut back old
stalks until they are drying out.

/Katarina

tanay bose

31 Jan 2011, 8:54:00 am31/01/11
to Katarina, efloraofindia
Nice sets of Orchids
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

31 Jan 2011, 12:30:41 pm31/01/11
to Katarina, efloraofindia
Phals flower for a long time. I saw the begining of flowers at TBGRI too.
Thanks for sharing. Frankly I have very less idea about hybrids.
just for your information there are around 120000 hybrids registered
at Orchid Hybrid Registrar..
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Oudhia

31 Jan 2011, 12:45:19 pm31/01/11
to efloraofindia
Whether anyone comparing the changes in medicinal properties in
hybrids with its wild parents?

Just completed a report on Medicinal properties of Vanda mainly Vanda
tessellata. We can give the Vanda hybrids to the Traditional Healers
for comparing its medicinal properties with parents. Not sure whether
someone will take interest in it.

Few days back I observed the use of this species on Quadriplegic
patient with other herbs. In recent film "Gujarish" Hrithik played a
role of Quadriplegic. It is considered as incurable but in Traditional
Healing, the Healers believe in try.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

31 Jan 2011, 1:36:21 pm31/01/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I have never heard of
but there have been experiments to introduce genes which can enhance
some medicinal properties. Not in orchids though.
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

31 Jan 2011, 1:47:09 pm31/01/11
to efloraofindia
Then lets think of taking the first ever project under the banner of
Efloraindia under leadership of Dr.Sahani, Vijayashankar ji ,
Gurcharan ji (and so on, )and start this noble work.

Group members, please express your interest to join this project and
also share your comments.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

31 Jan 2011, 2:01:06 pm31/01/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Let me know what help you would need from me. I usually dont deal with
Hybrids.:P... For Vanda, there is Dr. Martin Motes in USA who has the
credit of creating maximum number of Vanda hybrids in the world,
single handedly. He was recently in India too.
Pankaj