Flora of Panipat: Clitoria tarnatea from Arya P G College Panipat

Skip to the first unread message

Balkar Arya

12 Sept 2011, 8:49:43 pm12/09/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Clitoria tarnatea from Arya P G College Panipat
Cultivated vine

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Clitoria ternatea (1).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (10).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (2).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (3).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (4).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (5).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (6).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (7).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (8).JPG
Clitoria ternatea (9).JPG

Gurcharan Singh

12 Sept 2011, 9:55:06 pm12/09/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Nice photographs Balkar ji
We have one with blue flowers and one with white in our colony.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tanay Bose

12 Sept 2011, 10:02:13 pm12/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Great collection Bakar ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

12 Sept 2011, 11:28:13 pm12/09/11
to efloraofindia
Very nice Clitoria tErnatea with an e

love this flower...there is bangla adhunik gaan ...
that goes something like...
neel aparajita and neel butterfly (prajapati) under the neel sky ...
one of my favorite from my childhood..

wish I knew how to embed music that may be on public domain..

Usha di
===

On Sep 13, 7:02 am, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great collection Bakar ji
> Tanay
>

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nice photographs Balkar ji
> > We have one with blue flowers and one with white in our colony.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Dear All
> >> Clitoria tarnatea from Arya P G College Panipat
> >> Cultivated vine
>
> >> --
> >> Regards
>
> >> Dr Balkar Singh
> >> Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology
> >> Arya P G College, Panipat
> >> Haryana-132103
> >> 09416262964
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

H S

13 Sept 2011, 2:11:56 am13/09/11
to Tanay Bose, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yes i have also plant with white and blue flowers,,

i always have a doubt, why Ayurvedic people treat white flower plant more important than the colour ones in the same species,,, pls if anyone can explain..

eg.. Plant with white flowers:
Butea
Erythrina
Clitoria
Bombax / Salmalia
Abrus (seeds white)

regards
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

13 Sept 2011, 2:56:35 am13/09/11
to H S, Tanay Bose, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yes same is true for Catharanthus roseus (Vinca rosea), the white flowered form is sought after by ayurvedic practitioners.

Perhaps Ushadi or Madhuri ji have some explanation.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Giby Kuriakose

13 Sept 2011, 4:09:25 am13/09/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Nice pictures!
we too have blue and white flowers on different individuals.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Balkar Arya

13 Sept 2011, 11:21:34 am13/09/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi ji

Gurcharan Singh

13 Sept 2011, 11:23:53 am13/09/11
to Balkar Arya, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Same thing again Ushadi, thread broken

Don't change subject line and click reply all if you want original photographs to stay.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

formp...@yahoo.com

13 Sept 2011, 11:27:31 am13/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, H S, Tanay Bose, Balkar Arya
Dear All
Ok. Don't know the correct answer. But no harm in scraching the head.
1. Sometimes the pigments are bad, r also found to be carcinogenic
2. A case was found of albino pig. Here when the albino pig was fed with some specific plant and was exposed to sunlight it developed skin rashes, which latter developed skin cancers. But Black pig if fed was not affected. It was found that the plant pigments were bad as when exposed to sunlight were reacting with UV and were producing some toxins resulting into skin cancers. In black pigs the melanin pigments were absorbing those UV hence no bad effect was seen.
3. Plant spents energy in pigment formation, hence production of other material can/will be less. Where as in white flower plant, less expenditure of enrgy on pigment formation hence more production of other materials.
These other materials can be the alkaoids produced,or the secondary metabolities, which actually have the medicinal values.
Hence in white revolution the milking cow is made to stand at one place so that gives more milk.
4. Some pigments like red / orange are of Tamasi type that is they increase the temperament. Which may affect hormone production in body creating bad effects.
Any other gueses????
Thanks for $making me tjink.
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

13 Sept 2011, 11:29:09 am13/09/11
to efloraofindia
I dont understand the above mesage... ..its here ... the whole
thread?
seems it appears broken in the in box of gmail..., but thread at
indiatreepix /browse thread / .... it remains together....

Usha di
=======

On Sep 13, 8:23 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same thing again Ushadi, thread broken
>
> Don't change subject line and click reply all if you want original
> photographs to stay.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Ushadi ji
>
> >http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/...

Ushadi micromini

13 Sept 2011, 11:34:24 am13/09/11
to efloraofindia

I did not change the subject line again just now but it appears as if
I did ...

something is just not right...
they may be messing with gmail again...
lets hope it settles down...
ushadi

=====

On Sep 13, 8:29 pm, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

Ushadi micromini

13 Sept 2011, 11:39:18 am13/09/11
to efloraofindia

Dear all:
1. Am using reply button. in t6he thread...... now there is no reply
to all button here... in the thread... like there is in gmial.....
NOT CHANGING SUBJECT LINE........

2: I have reference to white clitorea handy... I'll tell you about
it...
others... will need research for giving solid info...
cant do it right now for a month or two... exam.....

Re: aparajita: Charak talks of the swet variety..several times...
many properties and disease specific uses are in charak samhita...
mainly roots and sometimes seeds... my notes are about 30 pages
long... too much to type with my speed...
suffice it to say that:

swet is Pungent, bitter and cooling, and drying effect ... used often
for detox and skin, headaches etc
neel is Bitter , cooling and "wet" snigdha effect... used often for
removing mental illness "unmaad", asthma, lung disorders etc... and
even in clearing the aura of possessions by disembodied
entities !!!...

Re white abrus... is used in magic spells in villages... besides the
leaves etc have all the three colors (bl, wh . and red) have same
effects...

Re: as for vinca rosea var alba is used, even i prefer white...non-
hybrids... but i have forgotten where i filed the reason(s)... but
there were definite differences in micro-constituents and elements....
but there is a definite reason.. I would not follow any thing
blindly...

Sorry, lets face it this is not sufficient/efficient way to talk of
such a vast and important subject...

Rest of the others that you mentioned above.. dont recall discussing
it in any of the medical addas or classes... if something is buried
in my brain it will come up now that you have asked...

AND may be Madhuri Raut knows... hello Madhuri... Bhagyashri.. do
tell

Usha di

==]

On Sep 13, 8:34 pm, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

Gurcharan Singh

13 Sept 2011, 12:18:11 pm13/09/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Ushadi
Since you changed tarnatea (by Balkar ji) to ternatea the thread is split into two threads in our gmail inbox. Those who are replying to Balkar ji 'thread (right now) will remain attached to that, and those replying to your get attached to that thread. (7 now). Agreed at the website all mails appear together the statistics lists only 7, although all 14 are attached.

Bottom line don't change the subject line even if it has mistakes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

13 Sept 2011, 12:21:13 pm13/09/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, H S, Tanay Bose
Sir I need seeds of white variety

Ushadi micromini

13 Sept 2011, 12:28:32 pm13/09/11
to efloraofindia
ok got it... thanks... will do... save some headaches....

usha di
=

Ushadi micromini

13 Sept 2011, 1:27:23 pm13/09/11
to efloraofindia
Balkarji... I had collected some pods from my friend's garden in fall
of 2005 . since then they have gone back to England.. and sold.. so I
no longer have access to their garden.. dont even know if their plants
have survived the new Indian owners and their dogs... The seedpods I
left at rt for a month or so in home, then stored in acid free
envelope in an airtight plastic box... of course it has been
undergoing the heat then , normal, cold temp cycles since then... pods
are solid (not eaten away) seem intact... many many years ago a
Patel family had taught me that if you save the seeds in their own pod
they will survive a long time.. how much long they could not say...
several years was their shoulder shrugging answer... i have about 6
pods. am willing to send 3 to you if if want to take a chance and try
them out... but it will get cold very soon up north, do you have a hot
house?
Usha di

========

On Sep 13, 9:21 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To: H S<hemsan...@gmail.com>
> > Cc: Tanay Bose<tanaybos...@gmail.com>; Balkar Arya<balkara...@gmail.com>;

Giby Kuriakose

13 Sept 2011, 1:54:00 pm13/09/11
to Balkar Arya, formp...@yahoo.com, Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, H S, Tanay Bose
Please send me your mailing address. Shall I use the same in your gmail signature?
I shall ask my mother to collect and keep the seeds whenever it is available and send the same to you.

Regards,
Giby.

Balkar Arya

13 Sept 2011, 7:52:49 pm13/09/11
to Giby Kuriakose, formp...@yahoo.com, Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, H S, Tanay Bose
Yes Giby ji
Address is same as in my signature. I have seen this white variety in Sri Venkateshwera College Tirupati. But i could not collect any seed at that time (December End of 10) as no pods were there. only few flowers i could see.
thanks

Balkar Arya

13 Sept 2011, 7:54:28 pm13/09/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
No Ushadi Ji
Still i dont have green house till now. we are planning to construct in Feb next year

Satish Phadke

14 Sept 2011, 8:49:00 am14/09/11
to Ushadi micromini, indiantreepix
Usha di
It happens sometimes that the <reply to all> button is not visible in some versions of Gmail.
If you want the reply to remain in the same thread in that case......
Just Click on reply.
Then Add Cc to "indiantreepix" <indian...@googlegroups.com>,
Write your reply. No need to write subject line. The post will remain in the thread and everybody will get to see it in the same thread.
Dr Phadke