Trichodesma indicum (syn. Borago indica)

J.M. Garg

Aug 3, 2008, 12:16:42 AM8/3/08
to indiantreepix
On 20/7/08 around agricultural fields at Agriculture University in Hyderabad, AP. Identification was done by Chitra ji in the field & also seen in Srikant ji's book. Here is a link for details & its medicinal use: http://www.bpi.da.gov.ph/Publications/mp/pdf/t/trichodesma%20indicum.pdf
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

satish phadke

Aug 4, 2008, 11:07:06 AM8/4/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Trichodesma indicum belongs to Boraginaceae family
Few indicative characters seen here are
Annual herb (In this case)
Simple entire leaves; lacking stipules
Pubescent and hairy
Flowers axillary in leaf bases 5 petalled.actinomorphic.....radial symmetry.Calyx persistent i.e.
it remains even in fruit.

I have seen these flowers from July to sept. The flowers are almost always facing the ground so very difficult to photograph.Only during evevning some upright flowers are sometimes seen.
Satish
Trichodesma.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 4, 2008, 11:29:37 AM8/4/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks, Satish ji for enlighting us.
Your posted is superb & appears to be of Trichodesma inaequale (Chhota- kalpa) as per Shrikant ji's book.

satish phadke

Aug 4, 2008, 11:42:09 AM8/4/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thanks for noting it correctly.
I have Shrikantji's old book which mentions the flower seen on page 132 as T. indicum which probably he has corrected later as T.inaequale.
The flower shown on page 450 of the new book is T. indicum which clearly show the pyramid shaped stamenal congregation which is absent in T.inaequale.
The plants seen here are all T.inaequale
Satish