Rubiaceae Week_Rubia sp_RKC03_06022012

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Feb 6, 2012, 12:11:00 AM2/6/12
to efloraofindia
Rubis sp. (cordifolia??)

Rubiaceae

Loc.: Dehradun, Uttarakhand

Date: August, 2010

Regards,
Ritesh.
IMG_0102.JPG
Rubia_00.JPG
Rubia_02a.JPG
Rubia_03a.JPG
Rubia_04.JPG
Rubia_05.JPG
Rubia_06.JPG
Rubia_07.JPG

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Feb 6, 2012, 12:12:22 AM2/6/12
to efloraofindia
Pl read the genus name as 'Rubia'

Regards,
Ritesh.

Satish Phadke

Feb 6, 2012, 10:08:08 AM2/6/12
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Very nice pictures of a Rubiaceae plant.
I am not sure about the ID though.
The pictures are showing an important character of Family Rubiaceae.............
Opposite leaves. I have read that often the plants have interpetiolar stipules which are sometimes big and appear like leaves making the leaf pattern whorled..........
Is it the classic case here?
Would like to learn from experts.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Vijayasankar

Feb 6, 2012, 10:19:24 AM2/6/12
to Satish Phadke, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Ritesh, it may be Rubia himalayensis. (it is not R. cordifolia).

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 6, 2012, 11:18:48 AM2/6/12
to Vijayasankar, Satish Phadke, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Yes not Rubia cordifolia in which leaves are with very long petioles, and leaf base usually cordate.

Leaves 2-4 in a whorl and short petioles suggest R. himalayensis as suggested by Vijayasankar ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Feb 6, 2012, 7:39:47 PM2/6/12
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Satish Ji, Gurcharan sir and Vijay anna for your comments
and ID confirmation!

Infact, I was also doubtful about this to be as R. cordifolia. The
typical R. cordifolia I've posted in another thread.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Ritesh.