Verditer Flycatcher on Mitragyna parvifolia

Skip to the first unread message

Pankaj Kumar

20 Apr 2011, 7:37:59 am20/04/11
to indiantreepix
The Verditer Flycatcher (Eumyias thalassina) sitting on Mitragyna
parvifolia [Rubiaceae].
Picture taken at Rajaji National Park on 12.3.2011.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

FLYCATCHER.jpg

prasad dash

20 Apr 2011, 7:44:04 am20/04/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Great catch Pankaj. Its simply awesome. Is it a visitor only or it feeds on the fruit of Mitragyna ? Because now a days its very important for us to know the interaction and linkage between plants and animals. In one of my study i have identified 36 species of plants whose fruits are used as food by the Giant squirrel in Karlapat wildlife sanctuary.

Best

Prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

Dr Pankaj Kumar

20 Apr 2011, 8:19:46 am20/04/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Prasad, This is a flycatcher so its obvious it will feed on
insects. They do come down during this season otherwise I have seen
them in Askot. The present pic sud be some where around 300m asl.
Pankaj