Flora of Panipat: Ipomoea aquatica from Village Lohari Panipat

Skip to the first unread message

Balkar Arya

13 Sept 2011, 8:37:15 pm13/09/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Ipomoea aquatica from Village Lohari Panipat
growing wildly in roadside ditches

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Ipomoea aquatica (1).JPG
Ipomoea aquatica (2).JPG
Ipomoea aquatica (3).JPG
Ipomoea aquatica (4).JPG
Ipomoea aquatica (5).JPG
Ipomoea aquatica (6).JPG
Ipomoea aquatica (7).JPG
Ipomoea aquatica (8).JPG
Ipomoea aquatica (9).JPG

Ushadi micromini

13 Sept 2011, 11:15:51 pm13/09/11
to efloraofindia
Yes, we eat the greens as veggie in Bengal...
called Kalami saag ... not to be eaten during monsoon....

also used for increasing mothers milk postpartum,
supposed to have anti-viral preoperties towards vacciniea
helps detox from arsenic and opium toxicity etc etc

usha di

======
>  Ipomoea aquatica (1).JPG
> 138KViewDownload
>
>  Ipomoea aquatica (2).JPG
> 371KViewDownload
>
>  Ipomoea aquatica (3).JPG
> 116KViewDownload
>
>  Ipomoea aquatica (4).JPG
> 126KViewDownload
>
>  Ipomoea aquatica (5).JPG
> 121KViewDownload
>
>  Ipomoea aquatica (6).JPG
> 166KViewDownload
>
>  Ipomoea aquatica (7).JPG
> 293KViewDownload
>
>  Ipomoea aquatica (8).JPG
> 231KViewDownload
>
>  Ipomoea aquatica (9).JPG
> 173KViewDownload

Tanay Bose

14 Sept 2011, 12:01:59 am14/09/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha Di.
I have heard many people including my mom saying that we
should not eat this plant during monsoon I am curious to know
the reason for it.
Thanks
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Arya

14 Sept 2011, 12:29:42 am14/09/11
to Tanay Bose, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi Ji for information

ushadi Micromini

14 Sept 2011, 1:36:40 am14/09/11
to Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Tanay

we were told ,
in Bangla.. :nana rokom rog hoy, tai..khaben na" ...
translation... many diesaes occur doe to water born  pathogens... so do not eat..

we have seen ascaris eggs attached to the stem and mosquito eggs...  asla we did not photograph them in those days...

Another admonition given in the erthnobotany class was: " tatka tule khaben"   translation... eat only freshly plucked saag...

Hope this helps.

Usha di
======

Tanay Bose

14 Sept 2011, 8:28:58 am14/09/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Usha di your justification is quite reasonable
Tanay