Castor plant n camouflaging lizard

Neha Singh

Oct 14, 2011, 8:13:18 AM10/14/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all,
Sharing d pics of this beautiful creature, I saw today resting on a castor plant.
 I loved his camouflage.

Regards
Neha Singh

DSCN2554.JPG
DSCN2555.JPG
DSCN2559.JPG

Madhuri Raut

Oct 14, 2011, 8:19:57 AM10/14/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Very nice pics Neha ji
Regards
Bhagyashri

Neha Singh

Oct 14, 2011, 9:03:19 AM10/14/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Thanks dear Bhagyashri ji.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 14, 2011, 9:11:46 AM10/14/11
to Neha Singh, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
The lizard is very nice looking, but plant is not castor
Any clue about the plant?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Neha Singh <neha.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks dear Bhagyashri ji.

Neil Soares

Oct 14, 2011, 9:13:14 AM10/14/11
to efloraofindia, Neha Singh
Hi,
 It is a juvenile Garden Calotes [Calotes versicolor].
                   Regards,
                     Neil Soares.

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 14, 2011, 9:14:13 AM10/14/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
This is a Calotes sp. most probably  Oriental Garden Lizard - Calotes versicolor of Agamidae family.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Neil Soares

Oct 14, 2011, 1:44:31 PM10/14/11
to Neha Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Hi,
 Agree with Prof. Singh. The plant is not Castor.
                       With regards,
                         Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 10/14/11, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Garden Calotes eggs.jpg
Garden Calotes hatchlings.jpg
Garden Calotes juveniles 1.jpg
Garden Calotes juveniles 2.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Oct 14, 2011, 2:23:17 PM10/14/11
to Neil Soares, Neha Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Hay Sir ji Neil ji Bhagyashree
One of the plant is calatropis!!!!!! we can see the typical phylotaxy.
The other may be a member of Acanthaceae a common weed. One shoot is showing minute inflorecence. Baby calotis are cute. Thanks for sharing
Madhuri

From: Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:87787] Castor plant n camouflaging lizard
To: "Neha Singh" <neha.v...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Madhuri Raut" <iti...@gmail.com>, "efloraofindia" <indian...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Friday, October 14, 2011, 6:41 PM

The lizard is very nice looking, but plant is not castor
Any clue about the plant?
-- Dr. Gurcharan SinghRetired  Associate ProfessorSGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neha Singh

Oct 14, 2011, 2:40:27 PM10/14/11
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia, Smilax004

Thank You all again. This time for identification of the garden lizard.
Neil sir ..these r wonderful pics. How U captured these..did u wait all day long  for this ??

Can I suggest that this plant may be Leonotis nepetifolia. Cau'z last year I photographed  L.nepetifolia ..exactly at the same place. When today I posted it, i just assumed that it is castor. And after Gurcharan Sir's inquiry I think it can be Christmas candlestick plant.

Posting  pics frm Oct 2010.

Regards
Neha
Lion's ear.JPG
oct 2010 026.JPG

Madhuri Pejaver

Oct 14, 2011, 3:00:53 PM10/14/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Sorry all
Realised my mistake. Sirji was talking about this maik, whereas i gave the names of othr attachments probably by Neilji
Calotis is beautiful Nehaji
sorry again
Madhuri

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 14, 2011, 10:52:39 PM10/14/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Neha ji for sharing the plant in flower.

Yes it seems to be  Leonotis nepetifolia.
Happy ride to the lizard, now we know the plant

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Oct 14, 2011, 11:48:31 PM10/14/11
to Neha Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia, Smilax004
Hi,
 A gravid female laid eggs in one of my planting pits. They were unearthed accidently while planting a sapling. Was curious to know whether they were Garden Calotes [Calotes versicolor] or Forest Calotes [Calotes rouxii] eggs and hence incubated them at home. Photograph 2 [in the previous post] is also of their release.
                         With regards,
                           Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 10/15/11, Neha Singh <neha.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
For release.jpg
Release.jpg

Neha Singh

Oct 15, 2011, 1:01:31 AM10/15/11
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia, Smilax004
Thanks Neil Sir for d interesting story.

Since the beginning of Oct I was missing  Leonotis nepetifolia around and thinking that how come this year it didnt appear till now. And thanks to this lizard and  Gurcharan Sir's awareness , I know that it is here and soon will be flowering.
Will post it's pics with flowers soon.
It was happy discussion n identification .

Regards
Neha