For Id 300508JM

J.M. Garg

May 30, 2008, 8:01:16 AM5/30/08
to indiantreepix
On 17/3/08 at Jayanti, Duars, West Bengal.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

May 31, 2008, 3:12:41 AM5/31/08
to indiantreepix
Here is a reply:

"Dear Mr. Garg

This is a species of Leucas a herb of Mint family. Regds

Shrikant Ingalhalikar"

Sony rk

Jun 20, 2008, 2:08:20 AM6/20/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I think it is Leucas aspera

Pia Sethi

Jun 20, 2008, 6:43:37 AM6/20/08
to indiantreepix
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on the list knew whether Chisocheton paniculatus, Dysoxylum binectariferum (Meliaceae) and Polyalhia simiarum (Anonaceae) have bisexual flowers? So that they sexes are not separate (dioecious)? I I did read somewhere that Chisocheton has polygamous flowers-what exactly do they mean by that? Hermaphroditic?

I have also been told that these are mid to late successional species that are shade intolerant (except for Chisocheton). Any information on this including seed dormancy, persistence of seedlings and juveniles, height of seedlings, etc. would be very welcome.

thanks, Pia

J.M. Garg

Jun 20, 2008, 9:44:58 PM6/20/08
to seth...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
I think the following extracts from Wikipedia link, may clarify your doubts (you can click the link for more details): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_sexuality

Individual reproductive unit (a flower in angiosperms)

  • Bisexual - or perfect flowers have both male (androecium) and female (gynoecium) reproductive parts, including stamens, carpels, and an ovary. Flowers that contain both androecium and gynoecium are called androgynous or hermaphroditic. Examples of plants with perfect or bisexual flowers include the lily, rose, and most plants with large showy flowers, though a perfect flower does not have to have petals or sepals. Other terms widely used are hermaphrodite, monoclinous, and synoecious. A complete flower is a perfect flower with petals and sepals.
  • Unisexual - Reproductive structure that is either functionally male or functionally female. In angiosperms this condition is also called diclinous, imperfect or incomplete.

Plant population

  • Hermaphrodite - only hermaphrodite plants with flowers that have both male and female parts.
  • Monoecious - only monoecious plants, that is plants have separate male and female flowers on the same plant. A plant species where the male and female organs are found in different flowers on the same plant, often plants are wind pollinated like some trees and grasses like corn.
  • Dioecious - only dioecious plants, all plants are either female or male.

surajitkoley

May 23, 2015, 10:17:40 AM5/23/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, jmg...@gmail.com, jmg...@gmail.com
This one will fall under the first part of my comment - ""To me, except for two or three threads where pictures are not at all clear to identify the species, ......"

It has very probably not L. aspera (Willd.) Link.

Better pictures are needed to reach species level ID.

Thank you

Regards

surajit koley