Flowering trees in delhi--Vilaiti keekar(Prosopsis julifora)

vinod kumar gupta

May 15, 2008, 1:57:07 PM5/15/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Taken at delhi on 30.4.8

Vinod

vilaiti-keekar_prosopsis-julifora_615_300408.jpg
vilaiti keekar_prosopsis julifora_delhi_605_300408.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2008, 4:53:58 AM5/21/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopis_juliflora

Bayahonda blanca (Prosopis juliflora) is a shrub or small tree native to Mexico, South America and the Caribbean. It has been introduced into Asia, Australia and elsewhere. Its uses include forage, wood and environmental mangagement.[1] The tree grows to a height of up to 12 m and has a trunk with a diameter of up to 1.2 m.[2]

This is a well-known plant in its native range as well as in India, having a range of vernacular names.

In Hindi, it is known as Kabuli Kikar, Vilayati Babul, Vilayati Khejra or Vilayati Kikar. The first means "Kabul Acacia", the others, approximately, "introduced acacia".

On 5/15/08, vinod kumar gupta <vkgupt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Taken at delhi on 30.4.8

Vinod

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

sibda...@gmail.com

May 22, 2008, 1:15:02 PM5/22/08
to indiantreepix
I came across such plants in Rajasthan. I was told they were Prosopis
specigera. Are they different or a synonym ? Sibdas Ghosh

On May 21, 1:53 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopis_juliflora
>
> *Bayahonda blanca* (*Prosopis juliflora*) is a shrub or small tree native to
> Mexico <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico>, South
> America<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_America>and the
> Caribbean <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean>. It has been introduced
> into Asia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia>,
> Australia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia>and elsewhere. Its
> uses include
> forage <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fodder>,
> wood<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood>and environmental mangagement.
> [1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopis_juliflora#cite_note-ildis-0> The
> tree grows to a height of up to 12 m and has a trunk with a
> diameter<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diameter>of up to 1.2 m.
> [2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopis_juliflora#cite_note-purdue-1>
> This is a well-known plant in its native range as well as in
> India<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India>,
> having a range of vernacular names.
>
> In Hindi <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi>, it is known as *Kabuli Kikar,
> Vilayati Babul, Vilayati Khejra* or *Vilayati Kikar*. The first means
> "Kabul<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabul>Acacia", the others,
> approximately, "introduced acacia".
>
> On 5/15/08, vinod kumar gupta <vkgupta_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >  Taken at delhi on 30.4.8
>
> > Vinod
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

J.M. Garg

May 23, 2008, 10:36:04 AM5/23/08
to sibda...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Hi, Sibdas ji, here are details & links from Indiantreepix Database about : Prosopis cineraria (Syn. P. spicigera).
Prosopis cineraria (Syn. P. spicigera) Fabaceae Jhand, Khejri, Sangri, Kandi, Sami, Sumri, Chaunkra, Jat Flowering at sultanpur(near delhi) on 18.4.08- Vinod ji. Trees of Delhi- Flowers late March to early May. Often a second flush after the rains. Prosopis cineraria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Prosopis cineraria- khejri, jand, sangri (Rajasthan), jand (Punjabi), kandi (Sind), sami, sumri (Gujarat) - indiantreepix | Google Groups Flowering trees in delhi--Jhand(Prosposis cineraria) - indiantreepix | Google Groups