Plant for ID SMP1 15/1/2011

Skip to the first unread message

Satish Phadke

15 Jan 2011, 12:32:10 pm15/01/11
to indiantreepix
A large tree seen in Panhala near Kolhapur.
Compound raceme inflorescences were observed. Leaves and flowers are seen in the pictures.
Can you help me in ID? Is it Mallotus philippensis?
Dr Phadke
_MG_9501s.jpg
_MG_9497s.jpg

Satish Phadke

15 Jan 2011, 12:35:16 pm15/01/11
to indiantreepix
Adding some more images of hopefully the same species but from another nearby tree.
_MG_9539s.jpg
_MG_9529s.jpg
_MG_9535s.jpg
_MG_9538s.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

15 Jan 2011, 12:39:19 pm15/01/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Arn't those Mallotus philippinensis?
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Smita Raskar

15 Jan 2011, 1:24:11 pm15/01/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Yes Mallotus phillipinensis..Kunku phal in Marathi
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Madhuri Pejaver

16 Jan 2011, 5:53:43 am16/01/11
to indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Did you notice a golden oriole????????
Madhuri

Nidhan Singh

16 Jan 2011, 6:59:39 am16/01/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Hi,
Also locally called Sindhuri from the Vermillion coloured powder on
fruits. Nice picture of the bird. It actually went unnoticed by me.
Thanks Madhuri Ji.
Regards,

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

Smita Raskar

16 Jan 2011, 7:07:04 am16/01/11
to Nidhan Singh, Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
i wish to share picture of fruits ..looks very beautiful:):)
Picture 3608.jpg

Neil Soares

16 Jan 2011, 9:59:58 am16/01/11
to indiantreepix, Satish Phadke, Madhuri Pejaver
Hi,
 The bird is a Common Iora [possibly a male in non-breeding plumage].
                        Regards,
                         Neil Soares.

Sweedle Cerejo

19 Jan 2011, 6:18:28 am19/01/11
to indiantreepix, Satish Phadke, Madhuri Pejaver, Neil Soares
Hello All!

            The photos posted by Satishji are of Colebrookea sp. of family Lamiaceae.

--
Regards,
Sweedle

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before".
R.W.Lynd

Satish Phadke

19 Jan 2011, 10:43:36 am19/01/11
to Sweedle Cerejo, indiantreepix, Madhuri Pejaver, Neil Soares
Dear Sweedle ji and Rajendra ji
All the photos are of large trees and in a similar habitat near the so called botanical park of Panhala. The last ones with a picture of Iora are from the hotel premises.
To my knowledge the Colebrookea sp. is a shrub and not a tree. I agree that the flowers have similarity. I think the trees posted by me  are in various stages of flowering and fruiting.
This is the first time that I have seen the plant flowering. So I may be wrong.
Dr Phadke

shrikant ingalhalikar

19 Jan 2011, 8:03:33 pm19/01/11
to efloraofindia
The first set of pictures show a male plant of Mallotus philippensis
and the second set shows female flowers with 3 styles clearly leaving
no doubt for ID. Regards, Shrikant
>  _MG_9501s.jpg
> 134KViewDownload
>
>  _MG_9497s.jpg
> 165KViewDownload

Sweedle Cerejo

21 Jan 2011, 1:01:44 am21/01/11
to efloraofindia
Sathishji,

            A small justification to my posting. You have posted two sets of pictures - the first set is of Colebrookea sp. and the second set is of Mallotus philipensis (probably you are talking about the ID of this one).

--
Regards,
Sweedle

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before".
R.W.Lynd

rajdeo singh

7 Feb 2011, 2:48:54 am07/02/11
to efloraofindia
Hello All!

The posted photos - 9501 and 9497 has opposite leaves and looks
like Colebrookea sp., while Mallotus philippinensis has alternate
leaves.

***
Rajdeo Singh

C KUNHIKANNAN

12 Feb 2011, 11:49:00 am12/02/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
The photo MG_9501s.jpg is Colebrookea oppositifolia and all other
photo belong to Mallotus philippensis (1st one (MG_9497s.jpg) looks to
be male and others are female)
kunhikannan

--
Dr. C.Kunhikannan,