Bamboo flowering

Samir Mehta

Jan 13, 2008, 1:48:58 AM1/13/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Bamboo flowering @ Karnala WLS, Maharashtra; January 3, 2008.

Bamboo trees flower once in 40-60 yrs, depending on the variety, and the tree dies after the event.

Bamboo, Flowering IMG_0110.jpg

Kiran Srivastava

Jan 13, 2008, 9:23:35 PM1/13/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I have observed mass flowering of Bamboo in Sanjay Gandhi National Park,
Mumbai too. I further learnt that there are two species here - Thorny
Bamboo, Bambusa arundinacea and the Solid Bamboo, Dendrocalamus strictus.

Cheers,

Kiran Srivastava

kir...@vsnl.net

P1030083.JPG
P1020965-bamboo flowers.jpg

sachin pandhare

Jan 14, 2008, 5:42:34 AM1/14/08
to Kiran Srivastava, indian...@googlegroups.com
if i am not wrong bamboo gets flowers once in 7-8 years.
please correct..

and i am keen to see such flowers.... didn't get a chance to do so. :-(
thanks for sharing these photos.

samirmehta

Jan 14, 2008, 9:43:31 AM1/14/08
to indiantreepix
I learnt of the figure (40-60 yrs) from the forest guides at Karnala -
but it does sound a bit too long to me also, your figure sounds more
realistic.

Best Regards,

Samir Mehta

J.M. Garg

Mar 12, 2008, 6:47:59 AM3/12/08
to indiantreepix
May anyone give the scientific names of the these flowering Bamboos, for inclusion in the Indiantreepix database?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg