Rosaceae Week- Is this Potentilla atrosanguinea ? from Cardiff, Wales.

Skip to the first unread message

Neha Singh

7 Oct 2011, 4:20:23 am07/10/11
to efloraofindia

This Pic was taken in d wild  @ Cardiff , Wales, UK.
Dated- July 2010.

Looks like Potentilla atrosanguinea . Unfortunately I couldt find other pics of this sp, so for now I have only this .

Regards
Neha Singh

Potentilla atrosanguinea.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

7 Oct 2011, 6:39:31 am07/10/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Rather Potentilla nepalensis; flowers with darker centre, smaller, leaflets less silky and more importantly lower leaves should have 5 leaflets.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Neha Singh

7 Oct 2011, 12:28:27 pm07/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
 Thanks Gurcharan sir, now I know diffrenciate btw/n them ( P. nepalensis n P.atrosanguinea )

Potentilla nepalensis then.

Regards
Neha

chrischa...@btinternet.com

21 Jan 2017, 9:32:11 pm21/01/17
to efloraofindia
I am confused by this.  You say "taken in the wild" in the UK but Cardiff is hardly "in in the wild" and this appears to a cultivated
plant in a situation that as far as I can tell is in a cultivated area or very close to.  Probably only partially naturalised - at most.

There are no red-flowered Potentillas native to the UK.   Potentilla nepalensis is listed in 'Alien Plants of the British Isles' as a casual
garden escape i.e. not properly naturalised.  I doubt very much that the PURE, original Potentilla nepalensis has escaped.

There are quite a number of cultivars of P.nepalensis available but most have pink flowers.  A hybrid between P.atrosanguinea and P.nepalensis
is known.   Of these, 'Gibson's Scarlet' is one of the common ones.  I cannot see sufficient detail in the picture above to be certain but think it is
entirely possible that the plant you photographed is a cultivar with some P.atrosanguinea in its ancestry or other Potentillas not necessarily of Himalayan
origin.   Once in cultivation especially in places where they are being bred and deliberately crossed, can rapidly get mixed-up.  Does NOT appear pure
P.nepalensis to me.

J.M. Garg

23 Jan 2017, 9:53:17 am23/01/17
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia, Neha Singh