Caribean Agave (Agave angustifolia)

J.M. Garg

May 28, 2008, 2:21:47 AM5/28/08
to indiantreepix
On 25/5/08 at Sanjeevaiah Park at Secunderabad, AP.

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave

Agave is a succulent plant of a large botanical genus of the same name, belonging to the family Agavaceae.

Chiefly Mexican, agaves occur also in the southern and western United States and in central and tropical South America. The plants have a large rosette of thick fleshy leaves, each ending generally in a sharp point and with a spiny margin; the stout stem is usually short, the leaves apparently springing from the root. Along with plants from the related genus Yucca, various Agave species are popular ornamental plants.

Each rosette is monocarpic and grows slowly to flower only once. During flowering a tall stem or "mast" grows from the center of the leaf rosette and bears a large number of shortly tubular flowers. After development of fruit the original plant dies, but suckers are frequently produced from the base of the stem which become new plants.

It is a common misconception that Agaves are cacti. Agaves are closely related to the lily and amaryllis families, and are not related to cacti.

Four major parts of the agave are edible: the flowers, the leaves, the stalks or basal rosettes, and the sap (called aguamiel—honey water).(Davidson 1999)

  • Each agave plant will produce several pounds of edible flowers during the summer.
  • The leaves may be collected in winter and spring, when the plants are rich in sap, for eating.
  • The stalks, which are ready during the summer, before the blossom, weigh several pounds each. Roasted, they are sweet, like molasses.
  • During the development of the inflorescence there is a rush of sap to the base of the young flower stalk. In the case of A. americana and other species, this is used in Mexico and Mesoamerica in the production of the beverage pulque.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg