Scoparia dulcis

Skip to the first unread message

Satish Phadke

17 Aug 2011, 10:28:13 am17/08/11
to indiantreepix
Scoparia dulcis
Iobserved this plant near Paud in Ghat section by the roadside.
From a distance I thought it to be a Lamiaceae member.
On close observation the flowers appeared to be regular.
After going through earlier discussions and checking FFOS I think this is Scoparia dulcis.
This is a small herb with very smallflowers of about 8 mm.
Leaves are characteristic. In my specimen ...not exactly opposite but 3 in a whorl fashion. sessile with serrate margin.
The flower has 4 sepals and petals.I don't know how many stamens and carpels.....
Earlier placed in Scrophulariaceae; now placed in Family Plantaginaceae.
From earlier discussion on the group
......dulcis means sweet.
......Interestingly it is called as sweet broom and also bitter broom.
...... I remember observing some different brooms in villages; these must be from the dried twigs of this plant.
Regards
Dr Satish Phadke
_MG_3657s.jpg
_MG_3671s.jpg
_MG_3673s.jpg
Scoparia dulcis_MG_3649.jpg

Tanay Bose

17 Aug 2011, 12:40:25 pm17/08/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Awesome snap Satish Ji !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

17 Aug 2011, 12:55:53 pm17/08/11
to efloraofindia
Nice.... thanks for sharing. Its good to know that you have kept track
of previous conversations on this plant too.
Regards
Pankaj

On Aug 17, 9:40 pm, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome snap Satish Ji !!
> Tanay
>

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *Scoparia dulcis*
> > Iobserved this plant near Paud in Ghat section by the roadside.
> > From a distance I thought it to be a Lamiaceae member.
> > On close observation the flowers appeared to be regular.
> > After going through earlier discussions and checking FFOS I think this is
> > *Scoparia dulcis.*
> > This is a small herb with very smallflowers of about 8 mm.
> > Leaves are characteristic. In my specimen ...not exactly opposite but 3 in
> > a whorl fashion. sessile with serrate margin.
> > The flower has 4 sepals and petals.I don't know how many stamens and
> > carpels.....
> > Earlier placed in Scrophulariaceae; now placed in Family Plantaginaceae.
> > From earlier discussion on the group
> > ......dulcis means sweet.
> > ......Interestingly it is called as sweet broom and also bitter broom.
> > ...... I remember observing some different brooms in villages; these must
> > be from the dried twigs of this plant.
> > Regards
> > Dr Satish Phadke
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

hari lal

18 Aug 2011, 11:17:48 pm18/08/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
very nice sir it has very medicinal use
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

manudev madhavan

20 Aug 2011, 1:10:59 am20/08/11
to hari lal, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Nice catch...!!!
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow