Malti -- Wattakaka volubilis

bindu kapadia

Aug 6, 2008, 6:26:37 AM8/6/08
to indiantreepix
 Malti vel in Gujrati -in my sister's garden Ahmedabad.
When young we used to put the caterpillar in a glass jar feeding its leaves and see the
butterfly emerging! But at that time never knew the name of the butterfly-Blue tiger.
We also used to make a caterpillarlike garland out of these flowers
Regards,
Bindu
Picture 121.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 6, 2008, 10:52:41 AM8/6/08
to bindu kapadia, indiantreepix
Intersting, Bindu ji!!!
Here are a few links with lovely pictures for Wattakaka volubilis syn. Dregea volubilis (Malti in Gujrati): http://flickr.com/photos/91314344@N00/2617414125 & http://flickr.com/photos/91314344@N00/2617418763
Here is a link for details: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=242355068
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

satish phadke

Aug 6, 2008, 11:33:26 AM8/6/08
to bindu kapadia, indiantreepix
This climber in garden? Planted or natural?
Because on Vetal Tekdi and other elevated regions around Pune. This grows rampantly uncontrolled.
A climber from Aesclepediaceae family
Indicative features of this family seen here are...........
Milkweed.. if you cut small branch milky sap flows.
Opposite leaves.
Flowers :  Pentamerous( 5 Petals), Actinomorphic, A typical pentagonous corona( for the insects to land)seen in the flower.
Seeds falttened with a tuft of hairs(See attached picture)
Satish

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:56 PM, bindu kapadia <bind...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wattakaka1.jpg
Wattakaka2.jpg
Wattakaka3.jpg

Mahadeswara Swamy

Aug 7, 2008, 12:32:36 AM8/7/08
to satish phadke, bindu kapadia, indiantreepix
In Chennai Wattakaka is a natural climber and available in plenty .   Abundant in IIT campus, CLRI campus and Guindy National park areas. .  No body plants this climber in Chennai in garden area.  Nevertheless, the climber comes up naturally  and climbs up many trees in the garden area.  The greenish  flowers are  beautiful to look at.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Click here.