Unidied shrub/tree

JANAKI TURAGA

Jun 16, 2008, 1:43:55 PM6/16/08
to treepix Indian
Hi all,
Would appreciate if someone would identify this shrub/tree and its flower/fruit. This was photographed in
a nursery in Delhi. The shrub/tree had a sweet perfume. I am familiar with this smell and this tree
but am unable to place it or identiy it.
Thanks
Janaki Turaga
unidiedtreeshrub.jpg
unidiedtreeshrubfruitflower.jpg
unidiedtreeshrubbark.jpg

Dr.Gautam Joglekar

Jun 16, 2008, 2:22:12 PM6/16/08
to JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
That's the Green Champaka.

At least thats what they call it in Marathi (Green Chapha)

I had one of these in my society garden. It died couple of years back.

It might belong to family Magnoliaceae.

cheers,

Gautam Joglekar.

L. Shyamal

Jun 17, 2008, 6:00:40 AM6/17/08
to indiantreepix
Looks like Ylang Ylang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ylang_ylang
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/CANANGA_ODORATA.htm

best wishes
Shyamal

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM, JANAKI TURAGA <janakitur...@gmail.com>

sachin pandhare

Jun 17, 2008, 6:09:47 AM6/17/08
to Dr.Gautam Joglekar, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Yes i too know it by the same name :-)
In Pune I have seen it at Jungli Maharaj Temple on JM road.
it smells very nice, gentle. they say you can put it in (coconut) hair oil and you get a perfumed hair oil :-)

the petals of the flower are very delicate and they just fall apart if you touch them harshly. the flower turns yellowish when it matures.

Sachin

Neil Soares

Jun 17, 2008, 6:22:23 AM6/17/08
to JANAKI TURAGA, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janaki,
It is Artabotrys hehaprtalus locally called Hirva champa
With regards,
Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Jun 17, 2008, 6:27:29 AM6/17/08
to JANAKI TURAGA, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Messed up the spellings. It is Artabotrys hexapetalus locally called Hirva Champa.
With regards,
Neil Soares.

Jun 17, 2008, 7:59:12 AM6/17/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all.
It appears to be a native tree as part of its South East Asia range.
Going by your reports, it is part of Maharshtra. Is there any information about its range in India.
Does it grow wild, or is it cultivated, or is it merely a 'curiousity' piece like the Fiddle leaf fig tree in many nurseries and few homes.
Janaki Turaga

J.M. Garg

Jun 17, 2008, 8:30:16 AM6/17/08
to JANAKI TURAGA, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
The following link gives China & Taiwan as its native places, though its silent about India:

Coincidentally, it's one of the common name is also Ylang Ylang, though its a climber/ shrub in comparison to Ylang Ylang, Cananga odorata, (as per link provided by Shyamal ji) which is a tree though from the same family Annonaceae: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ylang_ylang &
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/CANANGA_ODORATA.htm )

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Bapu Gosavi

Jun 17, 2008, 8:54:57 AM6/17/08
to JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Hi
 It is Artabotrys hexapetalus commonly known as Hirva Chpha. Ylang ylang is a common name of different plant i.e Cananga odorata.

Chandramohan Reddy

Jun 17, 2008, 11:35:34 AM6/17/08
to indiantreepix
Cananga species is real "ylang ylang". Artabotrys is referred as
"climbing ylang ylang". (May be due to the similar apprarance of
flowers of both the species). Both the species produce fragrant
flowers. Cananga is a small tree where as Artabotrys is a climbing
shrub which requres support for its growth. Artabotrys has good telugu
name .. "Mano ranjitham" Locally it is also called as "Madan mast".
The peple from Hyderabad can see both the species in the "Fragrance
Garden" recently developed in Sanjeevaiah Park.