Species Id: 02-07-2010-DKV 1

Skip to the first unread message

Dev Kumar

2 Jul 2010, 2:23:13 pm02/07/10
to indiantreepix
Mhow, Dist Indore, Madhya Pradesh - 453441

Tree seen in the campus of the Veterinary College.

Would this be the Rai Jamun? (Syzigium nervosum)?

- Dev

DSC03545.JPG
DSC03548.JPG
DSC03551.JPG
DSC03566.JPG

tanay bose

2 Jul 2010, 2:57:20 pm02/07/10
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear Dv Ji,
I think this is Syzigium nervosum indeed please consult with the description from Eflora of China

Syzygium nervosum Candolle, Prodr. 3: 260. 1828.

Calyptranthes mangiferifolia Hance ex Walpers; Cleistocalyx cerasoides (Roxburgh) I. M. Turner; C. operculatus (Roxburgh) Merrill & L. M. Perry; Eugenia cerasoides Roxburgh; E. clausa C. B. Robinson; E. divaricatocymosa Hayata; E. holtzei Mueller; E. operculata Roxburgh; Syzygium angkolanum Miquel; S. cerasoides (Roxburgh) Raizada; S. nodosum Miquel; S. operculatum (Roxburgh) Niedenzu.

Trees, to 15 m tall, many-branched. Bark grayish brown, thick. Branchlets flattened, furrowed. Petiole 1-2 cm; leaf blade oblong to elliptic, 11-17 × 4.5-7 cm, thinly leathery, both surfaces glandular punctate, secondary veins 9-13 on each side of midvein, 8-9 mm apart, and at an angle of 45°-60° from midvein, reticulate veins obvious, intramarginal veins ca. 2 mm from margin, base broadly cuneate to slightly rounded, apex acute to acuminate. Inflorescences lateral on leafless branches, paniculate, 6-12 cm. Buds oval, ca. 5 × 3.5 mm. Hypanthium hemispheric, ca. 3 mm, not stipitate. Calyptra 2-3 mm, apex beaked. Petals obsolete. Stamens 5-8 mm. Style 3-5 mm. Fruit violet to black when mature, broadly ovoid, 1-1.2 × 1-1.4 cm. Fl. May-Jun.

Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Neil Soares

3 Jul 2010, 3:36:08 am03/07/10
to Dev Kumar, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr.Kumar,
   Nice photographs of Syzygium alternans locally called Pan Jhambul / Bhedas. The fruit on my trees are also ripe now. These trees generally grow on the banks of rivers or streams. Sending you some of my photographs.
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 7/3/10, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Syzygium alternans,Pan-Jhambal,Bhedas unripe fruit 1.jpg
Syzygium alternans,Pan-Jhambal,Bhedas unripe fruit 2.jpg
Syzygium alternans,Pan-Jhambal,Bhedas ripening fruit 1.jpg
Syzygium alternans,Pan-Jhambal,Bhedas ripening fruit 2.jpg
Syzygium alternans,Pan-Jhambal,Bhedas ripe fruit 1.jpg
Syzygium alternans,Pan-Jhambal,Bhedas ripe fruit 2.jpg
Syzygium alternans,Pan-Jhambal,Bhedas ripe fruit 3.jpg
Syzygium alternans,Pan-Jhambal,Bhedas ripe fruit 4.jpg

promila chaturvedi

3 Jul 2010, 9:44:06 am03/07/10
to Neil Soares, Dev Kumar, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
In JNU campus I think it is used as avenue tree. I do not know if the trees are still there. I visited the campus 12 years back.
Promila

Dev Kumar

5 Jul 2010, 12:41:32 pm05/07/10
to promila chaturvedi, Neil Soares, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
In his book TREES OF DELHI the author Pradip Krishen writes this about Rai Jamun i.e.,  Syzigium Nervosum: "It may come as a surprise that most of the lovely trees on both sides of Rajpath are not jamuns but a closely allied relative known as 'rai jamun.'"  Would be interesting to know if the species in JNU is Syzigium nervosum or Syzigium alternans
Dev

J.M. Garg

14 Jul 2010, 8:09:26 am14/07/10
to efloraofindia, tanay bose, Neil Soares, Dev Kumar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I think this is Syzigium nervosum indeed please consult with the description from Eflora of China
................Regards
Tanay

“Nice photographs of Syzygium alternans locally called Pan Jhambul / Bhedas. The fruit on my trees are also ripe now. These trees generally grow on the banks of rivers or streams. Sending you some of my photographs.
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.”

“In his book TREES OF DELHI the author Pradip Krishen writes this about Rai Jamun i.e.,  Syzigium Nervosum: "It may come as a surprise that most of the lovely trees on both sides of Rajpath are not jamuns but a closely allied relative known as 'rai jamun.'"  Would be interesting to know if the species in JNU is Syzigium nervosum or Syzigium alternans
Dev”

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC03545.JPG
DSC03548.JPG
DSC03551.JPG
DSC03566.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

26 Aug 2010, 11:36:48 pm26/08/10
to efloraofindia, Dev Kumar, TANAY BOSE, Neil Soares

Resurfacing again for Id confirmation

Earlier feedback:

Tanay.....................................................................“I think this is Syzigium nervosum indeed please consult with the description from Eflora of China
Neil ji....................................................................

“Nice photographs of Syzygium alternans locally called Pan Jhambul / Bhedas. The fruit on my trees are also ripe now. These trees generally grow on the banks of rivers or streams. Sending you some of my photographs.

Dev ji.....................................................................“In his book TREES OF DELHI the author Pradip Krishen writes this about Rai Jamun i.e.,  Syzigium Nervosum: "It may come as a surprise that most of the lovely trees on both sides of Rajpath are not jamuns but a closely allied relative known as 'rai jamun.'"  Would be interesting to know if the species in JNU is Syzigium nervosum or Syzigium alternans

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

29 Aug 2010, 1:10:56 pm29/08/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, TANAY BOSE, Neil Soares
Dear Friends
I wrote to Pradip Krishen (author of Trees of Delhi and whose book Jungle Trees of Central India will be launched soon). His reply is interesting. This is what he wrote:

"not sure I can help in identifying your jamun pix down to a specific sub-type. They look like good old Syzigium cumini to me, and I am painfully aware that some solid taxonomic work remains to be done to sort out the various types of jamuns one finds in the field. As things stand, the species is a bit of an umbrella species covering a multitude of forms and sub-types. There are distinct differences in fruit size, phenology and even leaf and bark.
Botanists hide behind the phrase "polymorphic species" but I'm pretty sure this is just laziness or lack of clarity. But until some definitive work on the jamuns happens, we're just going to have to remain satisfied with the gross character of a single species... Hope this helps!"

Dev