Flowering Silver oke

satish phadke

Feb 18, 2008, 9:24:46 AM2/18/08
to indiantreepix, wildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, india-na...@yahoogroups.com
The silver oke is flowering with bright yellow colours and many birds make beeline to snatch its taste daily.
..........From my hall window.

--
Dr. Satish Phadke
Silver oke..Myna.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 18, 2008, 10:18:56 PM2/18/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix, india-na...@yahoogroups.com

Hi, Satish ji, lovely relationship shown of the birds with the trees & their dependance on their flowers for necter & their role in propogation etc.

Grevillea robusta, commonly known as the Silk- or Silky-oak, or Australian Silver-oak, is the largest species in the genus Grevillea. It is a native of eastern coastal Australia. It is a fast growing evergreen tree, between 18-35 m tall with dark green delicately dented bipinnatifid leaves reminiscent of a fern frond. These leaves are generally 15-30 cm long with greyish white or rusty undersides. Its flowers are golden-orange bottlebrush-like blooms, between 8-15 cm long, in the spring, on a 2-3 cm long stem. The seeds mature in late winter to early spring, fruiting on dark brown leathery dehiscent follicles, about 2 cm long, with one or two flat, winged seeds.

Grevillea robusta is used in musical instrument making, as a top for the acoustic Stompbox and guitar inlays by Ellis Guitars. Before the advent of aluminium, the timber from this tree was widely used for external window joinery as it is resistant to rotting. It was also popular for making furniture. There are severe restrictions on the harvesting of this tree now as the number of trees became depleted.

When young it can be grown as a houseplant where it can tolerate light shade, but prefers full sun as it grows best in warm zones. If planted outside, young trees need protection on frosty nights. It needs occasional water but is otherwise fairly drought-resistant.

Grevillea robusta is often used as stock for grafting difficult-to-grow grevilleas.

Care needs to be taken when planted near bushland as it can be weedy.

The above inf. taken from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Oak

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Only on Yahoo!

World of Star Wars

Meet fans, watch

videos & more.

Moderator Central

Get answers to

your questions about

running Y! Groups.

Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

.

__,_._,___

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

satish phadke

Feb 19, 2008, 10:14:57 AM2/19/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, india-na...@yahoogroups.com, wildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
This silver oke tree is near my house in Pune city(Maharashtra)There are very few silver oke trees which show flowering here....hardly 5% of the total trees.
This tree starts flowering here in first week of Feb and shows inflorescences till April-May and sometimes again in Oct Nov.
The Golden oriole is visiting this tree every year at the same time(first week of feb,confirmed by dates on my earlier photographs ....noticed by its harsh call early morning which gradually becomes musical and fluty in later march and april.The female is seen very very occasionally.I haven't noticed any nesting activity.It remains perched on the tree till late afternoon eating the flowers repeatatively.
Sorry for the details about bird description but I couldn't resist to share this interesting association with the tree.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Phadke