Holostemma annulare flowering

Neil Soares

Oct 21, 2011, 3:38:53 AM10/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Photographed at my farm at Shahapur last weekend.
                               With regards,
                                 Neil Soares.

Brahminy Starling & Long-tailed Shrike on Holostemma annulare.jpg
Holostemma annulare,Shiri,Shiravali,Kaddodi 2.jpg
Holostemma annulare,Shiri,Shiravali,Kaddodi 3.jpg
Holostemma annulare,Shiri,Shiravali,Kaddodi 4.jpg
Holostemma annulare,Shiri,Shiravali,Kaddodi 5.jpg
Holostemma annulare,Shiri,Shiravali,Kaddodi 6.jpg
Holostemma annulare,Shiri,Shiravali,Kaddodi 7.jpg

Neha Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 5:21:20 AM10/21/11
to efloraofindia
Wonderful set of pics Neil Sir , complete with Starling & Shrike.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Neha S

Madhuri Raut

Oct 21, 2011, 5:35:47 AM10/21/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Beautiful pics Neil ji. I always like to see plants and birds or animals together
Is the bird Shrike what we call "Saatbhai" as they are usually in groups of seven and I have not only heard but seen that 1 of them is always guarding in turns. I see a lot of these birds around my house at Pune
Regards
Bhagyashri

Neil Soares

Oct 21, 2011, 6:21:09 AM10/21/11
to Neha Singh, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Hi,
 The 'Rufous-backed' Long-tailed Shrike featured here belongs to a group called 'Butcher-birds'. 'Satbhai' or 'Seven Sisters' are Jungle Babblers. Sending you a few photographs.
                  With regards,
                    Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 10/21/11, Madhuri Raut <iti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jungle Babbler 1.jpg
Jungle Babbler 2.jpg
Jungle Babbler 3.jpg
Jungle Babbler 4.jpg

Neha Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 6:40:39 AM10/21/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Dear Bhagyashri Ji, the bird locally called as " saat bahi" is Jungle Babbler , Turdoides striata.

Neha S

Madhuri Raut

Oct 21, 2011, 6:46:14 AM10/21/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Neil ji very nice pics Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Neha ji for the name
Regards
Bhagyashri

Madhuri Raut

Oct 21, 2011, 6:48:17 AM10/21/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Neha ji what is shrike called locally and do we see it in Pune? I hope I am not violating any rule as I am discussing a bird and not a plant. If yes apoligies in advance

Regards
Bhagyashri

hari lal

Oct 21, 2011, 6:53:09 AM10/21/11
to Madhuri Raut, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
what a photo graphy sir very nice
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

Neha Singh

Oct 21, 2011, 7:52:00 AM10/21/11
to hari lal, Neil Soares, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Yes Neil sir...Wonderful Pics.

Bhagyashri Ji, Yes we see shrikes but not as commonly as babblers In Pune.

We locally call them- Pachanak , Kajala latora  ( In north India )
                               Chashmewala , Jangli Khatik  ( In West India ).

I hope Chashmewala rings a bell for U.

And  this discussion gave me one crazy idea of having one "e-fauna india" forum one day.

Madhuri Raut

Oct 21, 2011, 8:04:41 AM10/21/11
to Neha Singh, hari lal, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Neha ji I do not think I have seen this bird.
and yes "e-fauna india" forum is welcome by me surely
Regards
Bhagyashri

Mahadeswara

Oct 21, 2011, 9:39:12 AM10/21/11
to efloraofindia
Simply superb photographs.

On Oct 21, 3:21 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  The 'Rufous-backed' Long-tailed Shrike featured here belongs to a group called 'Butcher-birds'. 'Satbhai' or 'Seven Sisters' are Jungle Babblers. Sending you a few photographs.
>                   With regards,
>                     Neil Soares.

Ushadi micromini

Oct 21, 2011, 10:44:00 AM10/21/11
to efloraofindia
Neil : Somewhere I read that (may be flickers) that these flowers are
eaten in Maharashtra and so populations of this plant have dwindled...
how eat them and why? any religious or nutritional reason?

cant it be farmed?
propagated?
usha di
==============

Satish Phadke

Oct 21, 2011, 12:34:17 PM10/21/11
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Very nice Neil ji
A beautiful Asclepiadaceae member. I don't know whether can be seen in wild now?
Its good that people like you have maintained these private biodiversity areas.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Neil Soares

Oct 21, 2011, 12:51:56 PM10/21/11
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini
Hi,
 Pravin Kawale was with me at Shahapur when we found one of these flowering in the wild. From him I learnt that the central part of the flower [that looks like a pointed crayon] can be eaten and it is very sweet.
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.