ID-DKB185

Devendra Bhardwaj

Sep 1, 2009, 12:08:26 PM9/1/09
to indiantreepix

Hello,

Plant from Virat nagar Forest Jaipur

For  ID-DKB185,It is a fern.

Photo Taken on-25.8.2009

Regd

Devendra

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.
ID-DKB185.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Sep 1, 2009, 12:25:27 PM9/1/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
... I got to know from one of my Flickr contacts that this plant is known as maiden hair fern.
Not yet knowing the botanical identity.

Attached two photos.

Regards.

3801766604_e82f2e8ca6_b.jpg
3801718790_a62940bd0d_b.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Sep 1, 2009, 1:11:59 PM9/1/09
to Indian Tree Pix, sanal nair
Response from Sanal ji below:
(Many thanks, Sanal ji)
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM, sanal nair <sanalna...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dinesh,
              The Botanical name is Adiantum lunulatum.

      regards,

                  Sanal Nair

On 9/1/09, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... I got to know from one of my Flickr contacts that this plant is known as
> maiden hair fern.
> Not yet knowing the botanical identity.
>
> Attached two photos.
>
> Regards.
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Devendra Bhardwaj <
> devendra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Plant from Virat nagar Forest Jaipur
>>
>> For  ID-DKB185,It is a fern.
>>
>> Photo Taken on-25.8.2009
>>
>> Regd
>>
>> Devendra
>>

>> ------------------------------

>> See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out
>> Yahoo!

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 1, 2009, 2:19:27 PM9/1/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Most probably Adiantum caudatum

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Swagat

Sep 2, 2009, 10:03:52 AM9/2/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix, sanal nair
Dinesh,

'Asiantum lunulatum' is called 'Rajhans' 'राजहंस' / 'Hanspadi' 'हंसपदी' in Marathi.
and
'Asiantum caudatum' is called 'Mayurshikha' 'मयूर‍‍शिखा' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Mahendra Prasad

Sep 9, 2009, 10:39:53 AM9/9/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
This looks like Maidenhair Fern,  Genus Adiantum, Family: Pteridaceae (Adiantaceae) , sometimes found between bricks or stones on whole walls. Maybe Adiantum cunninghamii, which shows characteristic inrolled leaf margin containing sori. I have seen this type of fern almost covering an old brick wall, dried up in summer but again producing new green leaves after the advent of the rainy season. The leaf stems are dark, almost black, shiny and brittle.

Sep 9, 2009, 12:15:01 PM9/9/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
The ferns of this genus(Adiantum) are called as maiden hair ferns.
The tree Gingo biloba has leaves with shape similar to this fern hence it is called as maiden hair tree but it has nothing to do with this fern.
Dr Phadke Satish

2009/9/1 Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra...@yahoo.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

J.M. Garg

Oct 4, 2009, 7:20:23 AM10/4/09
to indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj, Dinesh Valke, sanal nair, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Mahendra Prasad

Forwarding again for Id confirmation pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

"Hi Dinesh,
              The Botanical name is Adiantum lunulatum.
    regards,
                  Sanal Nair"

"Most probably Adiantum caudatum
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"
"This looks like Maidenhair Fern,  Genus Adiantum, Family: Pteridaceae (Adiantaceae) , sometimes found between bricks or stones on whole walls. Maybe Adiantum cunninghamii, which shows characteristic inrolled leaf margin containing sori. I have seen this type of fern almost covering an old brick wall, dried up in summer but again producing new green leaves after the advent of the rainy season. The leaf stems are dark, almost black, shiny and brittle. " from Mahendra Prasad ji.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

ID-DKB185.jpg

Vijayadas D

Oct 4, 2009, 8:14:59 AM10/4/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj, Dinesh Valke, sanal nair, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Mahendra Prasad
Dear all,

 It is Adiantum caudatum

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Dinesh Valke

Oct 7, 2009, 9:08:11 AM10/7/09
to Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj, sanal nair, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Mahendra Prasad
... re-surfacing this post. As of now:

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR: ... belongs to Adiantum sp

Sanal Nair: ... is Adiantum lunulatum

Dr. Gurcharan Singh: ... most probably Adiantum caudatum

VijayadasD: ... it is Adiantum caudatum

Mahendraprasad  ... maybe Adiantum cunninghamii

... some surfing on flickr and other sites of internet:

Adiantum caudatum seems to be photographer's subject, Google's image results show them plenty, and runs into pages.
Adiantum lunulatum barely shows any image results, the FRLHT's digital herbarium image makes me re-consider the ID.
Adiantum cunninghamii may be ruled out.

I think Devendra ji's plant to be A. caudatum ... I may be wrong. Please validate.

Regards.

Vijayadas D

Oct 7, 2009, 12:56:01 PM10/7/09
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj, sanal nair, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Mahendra Prasad
I am sure on this, A.linulatum and A.cunninghamii are entirely different , It is Adiantum caudatum.