Ceiba speciosa

renee vyas vyas

Jan 21, 2011, 4:52:56 AM1/21/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

Could not help sharing the photos of this beautiful tree flowering now, just outside the
Churchgate railway Station, mumbai.

Cheers,

Renee
Flowers & flowers buds of Ceiba speciosa_1.JPG
Flowers of Ceiba speciosa_1.JPG
Leaves of Ceiba speciosa_1.JPG
trunk of Ceiba speciosa_1.JPG

renee vyas vyas

Jan 21, 2011, 5:00:27 AM1/21/11
to efloraofindia
Hi Friends,

Oops sorry....did not attached the close up of the flower!

Renee
Flower of Ceiba speciosa_1.JPG

Pravir

Jan 21, 2011, 5:43:58 AM1/21/11
to efloraofindia
Nice catch and thanks for sharing

Pravir Deshmukh

tanay bose

Jan 21, 2011, 7:24:31 AM1/21/11
to Pravir, efloraofindia
Nice catch
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

shubhada nikharge

Jan 21, 2011, 8:02:37 AM1/21/11
to efloraofindia, renee vyas vyas
Renne,
Thanks for sharing nice pics.
We saw this tree flowering near Churchgate station, Mumbai today morning. All credit goes to Dr. Usha Desai, who saw this tree in bloom while travelling in a taxi at 9 pm, requested someone on the road to get the flowers and identified them. thanks a ton , Usha.

I have attached some more pics of the flowers, closeup of pollen, greeen bark and the serrated leaves.
Scientific name : Ceiba speciosa
Common name: Silk floss tree
family: Bombacaceae

Cheers,
Shubhada
"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

--- On Fri, 21/1/11, renee vyas vyas <renee...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ceiba speciosa Silk floss tree Bombacaceae 2011_0121_Rani_Bagh10083 e.JPG
Ceiba speciosa Silk floss tree Bombacaceae 2011_0121_Rani_Bagh10077 e.JPG
Ceiba speciosa Silk floss tree Bombacaceae 2011_0121_Rani_Bagh10048 e.JPG
Ceiba speciosa Silk floss tree Bombacaceae 2011_0121_Rani_Bagh10042 e.JPG
Ceiba speciosa flower close up Silk floss tree Bombacaceae 2011_0121_Rani_Bagh10097 e.JPG
Ceiba speciosa Silk floss tree Bombacaceae 2011_0121_Rani_Bagh10096 e.JPG
Ceiba speciosa bark Silk floss tree Bombacaceae 2011_0121_Rani_Bagh10040 e.JPG

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 21, 2011, 8:09:29 AM1/21/11
to efloraofindia, renee vyas vyas, shubhada nikharge
I eel the flowers, tree trunk and leaves with flower donot belng to the same tree. Tree trunk is no doubt the silk cotten.But all remaining i doubt.
May be i am wrong .
Madhuri

renee vyas vyas

Jan 21, 2011, 8:27:28 AM1/21/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, shubhada nikharge
Dear Friends,

Thank you all for appreciating the pictures and with due respect to Madhuriji.......we all, myself, Shubhada, Katie and Dr Usha,  togather in the morning went to Churchagate station to take the pictures of this tree, so I can assure you that flowers, leaves & trunk belongs to Ceiba speciosa.

Regards,

Renee