Create a swatch based on the colour of an object

Pat Bensky

Jul 29, 2017, 9:59:13 AM7/29/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I've followed the instructions on the Adobe tutorial:

Create a swatch based on the color of an object

  1. Select the object.
  2. In the Toolbox or Swatches panel, select the Fill box or the Stroke box.
  3. In the Swatches panel, do one of the following:
    • Click the New Swatch button  and double-click the resulting new swatch.

    • Choose New Color Swatch in the Swatches panel menu.

​But all I ever get is a new black swatch.
​Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Note - there is no + button on my swatches palette. There is a "new swatch" button which is only active when a swatch is selected (NOT None, Registration, Paper, or Black. This creates a copy of the selected swatch.

Using CC2015.

Thanks!

Pat
-
CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

R Evans

Jul 29, 2017, 9:26:24 PM7/29/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried clicking on the object with the eyedropper? That should load the color into the fill "box" of the fill/outline selector. Then you should be able to click on the new swatch icon to create a swatch outlined that color.

Rebecca

Christophe Dhélin

Jul 30, 2017, 10:53:30 AM7/30/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
if the object is a simple frame with stroke colour or fill colour, grab the stroke or fill icon of the Swatches panel to the list itself. The colour will be added to your swatches. Sometimes it needs two tries before succeeded…
if the object is a image, use the eyedropper to capture the colour you need, then do the same as above.

Chris

Pat Bensky

Jul 30, 2017, 11:12:31 AM7/30/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Yes of course ... the eyedropper tool does the trick.
Thanks guys!

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk.