Find & Replace

Paul Marriner

Sep 18, 2016, 3:32:52 PM9/18/16
to indesign-talk
I am considering adding a page or two to a book that has already been indexed. Having spent 5 hrs cleaning up ID's (CS6) generated index I have no intention of repeating that task. I could add these two pages at the end and then add them manually to the index but that's an ugly kludge. Is it possible in grep to find and add 1 to page numbers to a selection of index pages. For example, the first new page is 122. So I would add 1 to each page number larger than 122. If the next one was 265, rinse and repeat. Possible?

Paul

mraj

Sep 18, 2016, 3:52:25 PM9/18/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it's possible with Grep, but probably with a script

Michel Raj

I am considering adding a page or two to a book that has already been indexed. Having spent 5 hrs cleaning up ID's (CS6) generated index I have no intention of repeating that task. I could add these two pages at the end and then add them manually to the index but that's an ugly kludge. Is it possible in grep to find and add 1 to page numbers to a selection of index pages. For example, the first new page is 122. So I would add 1 to each page number larger than 122. If the next one was 265, rinse and repeat. Possible?

Paul

Mike Witherell

Sep 18, 2016, 6:11:53 PM9/18/16
to InDesign talk

RE Gmail

Sep 18, 2016, 6:28:29 PM9/18/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget about dates and other numbers in your index. I seem to remember this being discussed several years ago. IIRC, the solution was to apply a character style to the numbers you did want changed.

Rebecca Evans

C F Majors

Sep 18, 2016, 7:03:04 PM9/18/16
to Indesign talk 2010
I think she remembers that correctly!

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .    .   .
Carol Majors / Publications unltd
Raleigh NC

Paul Marriner

Sep 19, 2016, 9:56:51 AM9/19/16
to indesign-talk
Unfortunately I'm still having problems. In the script that follows I can't figure out what I'm supposed to select. Selecting something in the document doesn't work. Also I don't really need the ranges except in the sense of "all larger than xxx" Can anyone enlighten me? And yes I have applied a character style to the page numbers. Paul

// A Jongware production. No guarantees.
var ranges = [
[54, 103, 1],
[104, 178, 2]
];
// step 0: verify selection
if (app.selection.length != 1)
{
alert (“Well, I warned you to select something!”);
exit();
}
// step 1: find ALL numbers
app.findGrepPreferences.appliedCharacterStyle = “YourCharacterStyleNameHere“;
app.findChangeGrepOptions = null;
app.findGrepPreferences = null;
app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = “\b\d+\b”;
numberList = app.selection[0].findGrep(true);
// alert ('found '+numberList.length);
// step 2: change certain ranges
for (a=0; a<numberList.length; a++)
{
thisVal = Number(numberList[a].contents);
for (b=0; b<ranges.length; b++)
{
if (thisVal >= ranges[b][0] && thisVal <= ranges[b][1])
{
numberList[a].contents = String(thisVal+ranges[b][2]);
break;
}
}
}
// step 3: … erm. That's all!

On Sep 18, 2016, at 6:30 PM, RE Gmail <forsal...@gmail.com> wrote:

Don't forget about dates and other numbers in your index. I seem to remember this being discussed several years ago. IIRC, the solution was to apply a character style to the numbers you did want changed.

Rebecca Evans

Sep 19, 2016, 10:02:23 AM9/19/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
You are looking for every number that has that character style. In  the step 1 part of the script.

Carol Majors
publications unltd
Raleigh NC
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com.

Paul Marriner

Sep 19, 2016, 12:10:55 PM9/19/16
to indesign-talk
I'm afraid that didn't help. I can see that I'm doa without some scripting knowledge. What I need is a grep search or a script that will select all numbers above a specified number, e.g., all numbers above 136 in a document where the numbers aren't in order (ie an index). Then I could use a change numbers script (available) to increment all selected numbers by 1.

Paul

David Blatner

Sep 19, 2016, 7:29:03 PM9/19/16
to InDesign talk
I like Mike Witherell's script ideas…
(Hey Mike! Did you see my email to you re: The InDesign Conference coming to DC?)

One other script idea is:

It's especially helpful when you have applied a character style to the numbers.

--david blatner

C F Majors

Sep 20, 2016, 6:41:53 AM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
My approach, which I cannot test, to a similar problem as this, broke down into two strategies. First was to find the right parameters to find all the page numbers to be staffed and turn them into something like "red" color in a character style. This now is your target, defined and marked.

Then using GREP, the logic goes like this. Find the red characters. Then replace with the contents of the "find" -- plus 1.

I would leave the character color change until every thing is finis.

Without my computer open, I can only speak in general terms.

From what I can tell, this script is designed for this purpose.

So you create a new char style for the numbers you wish to change, and that can be as simple as finding those numbers and changing them to "red" and naming the char style. Then when the script asks for that, you give it that name.

Maybe in step 0 you select a sample of this at the start of the index. Maybe.

Does this get you started?

C F Majors

Sep 20, 2016, 6:46:10 AM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

First was to find the right parameters to find all the page numbers to be staffed

I have no idea what autocorrect was going for here. I meant "changed."

RE Gmail

Sep 20, 2016, 6:58:52 AM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Don't you love autocorrect? Especially if you use abbrevistions--I once sent an editor an email about "uncle pigs" instead of "uncxd pgs."

Rebecca

Michael Brady

Sep 20, 2016, 7:13:03 AM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

> Don't you love autocorrect? Especially if you use abbrevistions--I once sent an editor an email about "uncle pigs" instead of "uncxd pgs."

I call it “autospellnanny.” And BTW, Rebecca, what are you using that confuses the nanny?

R Evans

Sep 20, 2016, 7:29:12 AM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

What the heck is "abbrevistions"? I meant abbreviations, of course. Where is that nanny when you need her?

On Sep 20, 2016 7:13 AM, "Michael Brady" <mich...@michaelbradydesign.com> wrote:

> Don't you love autocorrect? Especially if you use abbrevistions--I once sent an editor an email about "uncle pigs" instead of "uncxd pgs."

I call it “autospellnanny.” And BTW, Rebecca, what are you using that confuses the nanny?

Paul Marriner

Sep 20, 2016, 8:34:59 AM9/20/16
to indesign-talk
Hi Carol. Everything stumbles around the first strategy. Once you can select the range you want changed Mike's script (which I had already found on InDesign Secrets, thanks David) will do the job. How do I "find" and "select" all numbers greater than "xxx"? I don't really even need an "internal" range. As long as I can get all the numbers larger than xxx and increase them by 1 then I can just repeat for another page number which is larger than the original. If it wasn't an Index (page numbers not consecutive), then Peter Kharel's script would work fine.
Paul

C F Majors

Sep 20, 2016, 10:35:06 AM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
When I read his script, there is a place for those parameters.

So you can select all page numbers, make them a new char style (pagenum-red), and then make that choice when running the script.

If the script doesn't ask you this, then you could edit the script appropriately. That may be the issue here.

For ex: bold highlight. -- YourCharacterStyleNameHere
This should say "pagenum-red" if that is what you named that char style.

In step 2, does the script ask you for the number range? If you get past the first error message, it looks like you have a chance to say "136" to "end (what page number is that)"

It's a beautiful GREP. I'm not an expert, but all the logic seems to be in it.

[...]

Paul Marriner

Sep 20, 2016, 11:53:57 AM9/20/16
to indesign-talk
Here's the problem. You can't select multiple numbers in InD, at least as far as I know. You can select a single number but that's it. Using find/change I've given all the pg numbers in the Index a character style.
In the script which are the variables? It won't run past the "I told you to select something". I can select the index (all alphanumeric characters) or a single number, still fails. What is it that the author expects selected? If I edit the script I can get it to line 17 but then it expects something for the variables b, and d+

Very confusing. I understand it was a throwaway script intended for scriptors but it's impenetrable to me.

C F Majors

Sep 20, 2016, 12:29:07 PM9/20/16
to Indesign talk 2010
Can someone help Paul here?

I’m in over my head as I don’t have his setup to test this. Nor am I an expert.

This I do think:

Step 0

I would expect you select the area you want the script to apply to. So select the index pages.

Step 1
Type in the style name between the quote marks.

Step 2
This is where I don’t know what to expect. David Blatner has a nice one page summary of the basic expressions.

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = “\b\d+\b”;    < this means find all digits (which already limited to the char-style)

What I did for a 500 page book that had certain letter pairs that needed kerning, was to do it manually by searching for all the pairs and turning them red, then searching for red and certain of the pairs, and then manually kerning them in the find window. There is a certain way to run that window so that it stays in place, and then you can hit return and then do the next one. I had a bunch of keystrokes sequenced in my mind. I guarantee if you can find a way to use color to select your targets, you get a whole lot better control. I would use another color for a “fixed” number, but I can’t tell you how off hand. I might have made a “blue” char style that I applied immediately and manually after the “find” was fixed.

Since it is all numbers after 136, I don’t know if there is a grep search in the find change for that, but I expect there is. I would use my friend google to look for that.

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .    .   .
Carol Majors / Publications unltd
Raleigh NC

Paul Marriner

Sep 20, 2016, 1:34:32 PM9/20/16
to indesign-talk
Many thanks for the valiant effort Carol. Btw, selecting the entire index doesn't help, I still get the "no selection" error. If anyone wants to give it a try here's the "A" section of the Index. The numbers all have character style, "indexPgNumbers". The index lines are styled with a para style. For example suppose I wanted to add "1" to each page number between 64 and 425 (because I want to insert a new page 64). Can this script do it, and if so what would I change in the various lines in the script editor?

Ackroyd   382
Alexandra   59
Allen Street Hooker  425
Ally’s Shrimp   348
Al’s Iceman   60
André’s Stone Fly   305
Arnold Weagle Special   62
Aurora Bearrealis   63
Austin’s Green   64
Autumn Flash   65

Phil Frank

Sep 20, 2016, 2:09:35 PM9/20/16
to indesign-talk

Hi Paul,

Sorry you’re having so much trouble. I just took your sample below, brought it into a new document, and applied a character style to each number greater than 63. Then I ran the PriceAdjuster script that someone linked to earlier (can be found on Peter Kahrel’s site). No editing or changing the script—just run it. I had to enter something in only three fields: Operation (i.e., add, subtract, etc.), Operator (how much I wanted the numbers to increase by [in this case, just 1], and then the final field: Target character style. In that one I put the name of the character style I created for the purpose. Then I hit OK and off it went and gave the expected result.

Hope this helps.

Phil Frank

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk.

jctremblay

Sep 20, 2016, 2:22:10 PM9/20/16
to InDesign talk
I’m late in tho thread but this could be easy to do with a excel.csv file and the use of the Multi Find/Change plugin from Automatication.com. MF/C allow the use of a list of think to find/change. Easy to do... In case of number you need to do it in reverse. Higher number to lower one.

Paul Marriner

Sep 20, 2016, 2:40:57 PM9/20/16
to indesign-talk
Hi Phil,
Thank you for the reply. I think what you're missing here is that I just gave a small sample from an index of more than 400 entries. Yes, if I wanted to insert a page after page 63, I could manually select each number greater than 63, apply a different character style and use Peter's script to increase them by one. Then, if I now wanted to insert a page after 125, rinse and repeat. Not much question I could have done that by now considering how long this thread has run. The goal is to be able to use a script to find all numbers larger than x then change x to x+1 without having to do anything to the original numbers.

Cheers,
Paul

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk.

Paul Marriner

Sep 20, 2016, 2:49:25 PM9/20/16
to indesign-talk
Merci, JC. The hope was to be able to do it within InDesign. Unfortunately this doesn't seem feasible, at least not easily, so if no one comes up with a solution I'll fall back on the kludge of adding a couple of pages after the last chapter, entitled "Bonus Patterns". Ugly but easy.

Paul

Jean-Claude Tremblay

Sep 20, 2016, 2:52:02 PM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Paul, this is possible in InDesign. The Multi Find/Change plugin is only use to run a batch of F/C queries. It took a few minutes to figure it out and run it.

JC

On Sep 20, 2016, at 14:49, Paul Marriner <flyti...@gmail.com> wrote:

Merci, JC. The hope was to be able to do it within InDesign. Unfortunately this doesn't seem feasible, at least not easily, so if no one comes up with a solution I'll fall back on the kludge of adding a couple of pages after the last chapter, entitled "Bonus Patterns". Ugly but easy.

Paul

Paul Marriner

Sep 20, 2016, 3:35:17 PM9/20/16
to indesign-talk
J-C, it's a little expensive, especially with our dollar these days, but I appreciate your input.

Paul

Jean-Claude Tremblay

Sep 20, 2016, 3:37:51 PM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
You have been having this discussion for two days now. Expensive? It all depends on how much you evaluate your time… ;)

JC

On Sep 20, 2016, at 15:35, Paul Marriner <flyti...@gmail.com> wrote:

J-C, it's a little expensive, especially with our dollar these days, but I appreciate your input.

Paul

Paul Marriner

Sep 20, 2016, 4:04:45 PM9/20/16
to indesign-talk
Fortunately I'm long retired and simply repurposing print content into the digital world. Time is no longer evaluated...

Paul

C F Majors

Sep 20, 2016, 6:49:24 PM9/20/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
What I reported works in Indesign.

Use JCs find replace formula.

Create a char style for the replaced part.

Install the script I linked to, run it using the char style as your parameter. Tell it to Add 1. Make all changes a new color tony oh can check them.

It's done.

Carol Majors
919-559-1886 (voice & text)
Sent from my iPhone