Changes to "Remember Last Admin Template"

1 view

Dmitry A.

Apr 11, 2010, 10:31:01 PM4/11/10
to In-Portal Development Team
Hi guys,

Two things crossed my mind while I was working in the Admin. While
these are minor - I didn't want to leave it as is and decided here for
more opinions.

1. I think we should turn OFF "Remember Last Admin Template" in
default installation.

The main reason is that so far I find it a bit annoying for myself. I
do recognize it as a feature, but don't think it should be enabled by
default.

2. I would rename this to more appropriate since Admin Template is not
very user friendly?

How about "Remember last Admin Section for User"?

What's your take on both.

Cheers!

DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 12, 2010, 2:52:12 AM4/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
1:

I'm against that, because it's normal for administrator to continue to work on last section here visited last time he was logged in administrative console.
When all site administrators use same "root" account for system access and one user sees what other user visited, then it's not comfortable.

2.

I would rename it to: "Remember User's Last Visited Template".

Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 12, 2010, 11:30:43 AM4/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
1. I agree to keep "last visited section" as Alex said.

2. "template" is still not user's friendly at my sight, what do you
think about "Remember last display on exit".
"display" is about what user's see, "template" is what systems
display... we don't talk to system, but to users :)

p.

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 12, 2010, 10:35:17 PM4/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Okay guys,

1. It's okay to keep this On by default (even it's a bit annoying me).

2. I would say "Reopen last visited Section on Admin Login".

I think it described what it will actually do instead of some other action - who cares what it remembers - we need to know how it affect the behavior, right?

DA.

Ilya Bernshteyn

Apr 13, 2010, 1:33:22 AM4/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
How about..."Save current view on close" or "Save current view on exit" ?

If not, I like Alex's suggestion, "Remember User's Last Visited Template"

Ilya

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 13, 2010, 3:45:11 AM4/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
This now more looks, like firefox option, so next version will be: "Restore Last Visited Section After Login". Since we only have sections in administrative console, then no need for "Admin" to be added into configuration variable name.

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 13, 2010, 11:35:08 AM4/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Alex - right in the spot - I like it almost 100% :)

I still would say "Restore last visited Admin Section after Login".

NOT every user know we have Sections only in Admin, plus we have Login in Admin and Front end - let's make it 100% clear for everyone - even those without extensive knowledge of In-Portal today.

What you think?

DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 13, 2010, 11:39:21 AM4/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Seems ok. But why not all words are capitalized?

Dmitry A.

Apr 13, 2010, 11:52:04 AM4/13/10
to In-Portal Development Team
It has better readability this way.

I have created General task for Missing/Changing labels in English
lang. pack in 5.0.3 - will gather all other places/labels shortly and
update in that task.

696: English Language pack changes in 5.0.3

http://tracker.in-portal.org/view.php?id=696

DA.