Content Mode on Front-End

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 13, 2010, 12:43:46 PM10/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

when we work with a team of translators/content reviewers, it'd be very usefull to be able to have a "content mode" on front-end.
This would be also very practical when you check all your pages, and need to change just a label somewhere.

I think about admin users who could have a special perm to see displaying these magic yellow boxes.

Additionnaly, what do you think about a system to make label translation as easy as displaying an input field when clicking the Edit button, without any pop-up/modal window?

Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 13, 2010, 12:52:02 PM10/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
when we work with a team of translators/content reviewers, it'd be very usefull to be able to have a "content mode" on front-end.
This would be also very practical when you check all your pages, and need to change just a label somewhere.

Is there any particular reason, why you just can't create single user only with site content editing right for all that group of people. You need some way to identify them in any case, since I don't suppose you wan't any site visitor to be able to switch to content mode?

I think about admin users who could have a special perm to see displaying these magic yellow boxes.

Phrase editing permission comes together with content block editing ability, which is checked by CATEGORY.MODIFY permission.

Additionnaly, what do you think about a system to make label translation as easy as displaying an input field when clicking the Edit button, without any pop-up/modal window?

Specially for users, who don't like popups we have nice feature in debug mode: all untranslated phrases are displayed as links, who will lead to phrase translation page in same window. You even don't have to go to admin, just enable debug mode for user ips who are interested.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 13, 2010, 1:05:05 PM10/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/13 Alexander Obuhovich <aik....@gmail.com>

when we work with a team of translators/content reviewers, it'd be very usefull to be able to have a "content mode" on front-end.
This would be also very practical when you check all your pages, and need to change just a label somewhere.

Is there any particular reason, why you just can't create single user only with site content editing right for all that group of people. You need some way to identify them in any case, since I don't suppose you wan't any site visitor to be able to switch to content mode?

Reasons are:
- no need to train people on how to use admin (it could become very complicated for a newby to change a theme + change a lang to be able to translate something), and time consumming when you work with 10 peoples, who are not ohisically in your office

- faster than everything else

- really wysiwyg without any action

I think about admin users who could have a special perm to see displaying these magic yellow boxes.

Phrase editing permission comes together with content block editing ability, which is checked by CATEGORY.MODIFY permission.

that's right !

Additionnaly, what do you think about a system to make label translation as easy as displaying an input field when clicking the Edit button, without any pop-up/modal window?

Specially for users, who don't like popups we have nice feature in debug mode: all untranslated phrases are displayed as links, who will lead to phrase translation page in same window. You even don't have to go to admin, just enable debug mode for user ips who are interested.

Exact, but when label have been translated, we can't do it once again, sadly

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 13, 2010, 1:14:40 PM10/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Reasons are:
- no need to train people on how to use admin (it could become very complicated for a newby to change a theme + change a lang to be able to translate something), and time consumming when you work with 10 peoples, who are not ohisically in your office
- faster than everything else
- really wysiwyg without any action

It seems, that you'll be shooting a video for youtube about how to translate phrases in content mode:
  1. login to admin console
  2. click "browse site" in tree
  3. click "content mode" in top frame
  4. do translation
Doesn't seem to hard.

Exact, but when label have been translated, we can't do it once again, sadly

Since it is activated by debug mode, then it was originally designed for php developers ;), who are adding phrases and want to translate them at same point.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 13, 2010, 1:32:55 PM10/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
well, you can't imagine how people who are not coders have difficulties with these things...
But I agree on the point this is not a must-have function ;-)

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 13, 2010, 1:50:02 PM10/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Actually S.G. has more ideas about how to make In-Portal more user friendly for translators, but he won't be sharing them any time soon, since he doesn't believe, that we going to implement them at all (based on ratio of suggested features VS implemented).

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 13, 2010, 2:43:10 PM10/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
ok, may we'll come back later here...

Dmitry Andrejev

Oct 13, 2010, 2:44:58 PM10/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
This is sad :)

I don't think that it's entirely our fault that we don't have that ratio as high as 50-70%.

In any case good ideas convert into features and tasks, but if there are no suggestions - it's hard to brainstorm.

Sergey - we all ask you - please share your thoughts! :)

DA.

Thanks.
--

Best regards,

Dmitry A.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 14, 2010, 8:18:55 AM10/14/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Up there, I've found that the content mode IS working on front.

1- login to admin
2- open a new window, and any front-end page, and add "?admin=1&editing_mode=2" at the end or URL: you are in content mode :)

I think this subject is closed.

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 14, 2010, 12:15:17 PM10/14/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
It's working, but maybe popups won't be working. Also all other translator people should login to admin too, to be able to access link you've provided.

Dmitry Andrejev

Oct 14, 2010, 1:06:54 PM10/14/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
There is definitely room for improvement, I think but it's not very critical now.

DA.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 14, 2010, 1:39:42 PM10/14/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
yes, this is not critical, and may we can improve just by using the system differently.