Check for database collation during installation

1 view

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 9, 2011, 3:43:53 AM2/9/11
to In-Portal Development
When on "Database Select" step user enters database connection info, then basic tests are performed on that database to make sure, that it can be used by In-Portal.

One important check is not made during that time - check for database collation match against collation user have specified.

In case when database collation is "latin1_swedish_ci" (default for MySQL server) and user have selected "utf8_general_ci", then category permission cache rebuild will fail, when there are categories (sections) with non-latin characters in their names (unserialize function will fail due incorrect encoding).

In ideal world In-Portal must add collation to any CREATE TABLE statement it does, but it doesn't.

We could actually do both of that (create table fixing and check during installation) to be sure that all is ok.

Dmitry A.

Feb 9, 2011, 2:56:37 PM2/9/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I know we are NOT using Collations defined in config.php when creating Search tables.

I am sure we have other places.

DA