Google Tools Integration

Phil

Feb 18, 2010, 10:37:54 AM2/18/10
to In-Portal Development Team
Hello,

It's a long time I want to ask about your willing to integrate 2
(important) functions:

- Google Sitemap XML generation: I see it as just a special TPL which
output datas for whole product catalog in XML style, or it could be,
more professionnal, a tool in admin to submit directly sitemap to
specified google account

- Google Product Search: another special field in admin to push on
Google whole or part of the products catalog

May it's time to start a new module, very usefull: Google
interactions.
this module would give direct access or shortcut with login to:
- google analytics
- google adwords (along with a code updated "thank you" page, to send
cart info to google for ROI)
- google sitemap for automatic sitemap sending
- Google Product Search

Most of these options are now a standard on many merchant software,
and I think this now a must-have to send at least sitemap and
products.
Cart information for google analytics is also very important for
serious customer who use adwords.

Waiting your opinion.

Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 18, 2010, 1:21:32 PM2/18/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Don't know what google products is, but we already have implemented google sitemap in some projects. It's simple category list, just without categories, that are marked as to be excluded from google sitemap. Administrator needs to review each page presence in that sitemap by hand for now. Maybe there is a way to automate that.
--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil

Feb 19, 2010, 6:10:10 AM2/19/10
to In-Portal Development Team
About sitemap, I'm sure it's very easy, I just don't know the code to
output the whole catalog products, but it's something simple, but not
yet included while all competitors have this as a key feature ;-)

Phil

Mar 22, 2010, 5:41:59 AM3/22/10
to In-Portal Development Team
any willing to implement Google's stuff?

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 22, 2010, 5:56:11 AM3/22/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I think, that sitemap, sending order info to google, and google analytics are easy to implement, since they don't require any additional programming, just proper tag placement in proper templates. We can schedule them to 5.2.0 release, which doesn't seem to be very close to today (by release date).

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to in-portal-dev+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 22, 2010, 7:51:23 AM3/22/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
exactly, it's only special templates, which could dramatically improve SEO.

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 22, 2010, 9:16:44 AM3/22/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Let's wait for Dmitry's opinion.

Dmitry Andrejev

Mar 23, 2010, 2:33:57 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I see no issue as doing this as a little project which can be committed into In-Portal or some other module once planned and possible completed as custom.

Phil, if you want us to complete this before 5.2.0 - please take over this Google project and layout clear specifications of what needs to be done. Please do it as 1, 2, 3 list so we can break it on parts if needed.

DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 23, 2010, 4:30:17 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
This list is already there - see previous Phil posts.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 23, 2010, 7:35:34 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
thank Alex, Dmitry may you want to read detailed interaction and
needed fields for each part?

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 23, 2010, 7:39:09 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
What you will be doing then, if Dmitry will provide all specs to you?

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 23, 2010, 7:57:18 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
haha sorry we misunderstoud, I meant should I detail something I can
retrieve from my knowledge of google analytics, sitemap and product
search integrations?

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 23, 2010, 8:01:39 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Product search maybe, other two we've already implemented somewhere. Is product search different from what you've submit to google on order thank you page? Google documentation link could be useful also.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 23, 2010, 8:13:08 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking about providing google doc links, as before, this could
save you time :)

Dmitry Andrejev

Mar 23, 2010, 11:45:40 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello Phil,

Sorry to repeat myself, but again we are unable to dedicate time for researching and putting together all specs for this task.

Thus, if you want us to complete this before 5.2.0 release - please take over this Google Tools project and write down clear specifications of what needs to be done.

Please do it as 1, 2, 3 list so we can break it on parts if needed. Again, we are not looking for a links - we are looking for a strong specs and leadership of this project if it's important to you.

Let us know.

DA.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 23, 2010, 6:09:38 PM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dmitry,

no problem, here you are. I've compiled all needed informations.

My color code : user input - source code - comments

 Google analytics

references
  http://code.google.com/intl/en/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/gaTrackingSite.html#multipleDomains

# in Admin, ability to setup the google tracking code in a field, only for main website

  example.com = UA-12345-1

# in html-head, insertion of asynchronous tracking (this new tracking doesn't slow the page loading):
   on main website :
<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
  _gaq
.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-XXXXX-X']); <<< insert the code previously setup in admin
_gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.example1.com'];); <<< insert the main website address with a leading dot
 _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
_gaq.push(['_setAllowHash', false]);
_gaq.push(['_setSessionCookieTimeout', 3600000]);<<< to be modified according to cookie duration setup in Admin
  _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {

var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga
.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';

var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);

})();
</script>
   and on multisites:
<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-12345-1']);
_gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'none'];);
_gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
_link(); <<< see note below
_gaq.push(['_setSessionCookieTimeout', 3600000]);<<< to be modified according to cookie duration setup in Admin
  _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {

var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga
.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';

var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);

})();
</script>
 note : using this tag, user can add a tracking for links to main website, as follow :
Using these 2 tracking codes we can have analytics reports for all websites under the same analytics page (excellent for cross-comparison)

 Orders tracking & Adwords ROI  setup

reference and details
  http://code.google.com/intl/en/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/gaTrackingEcommerce.html
  http://code.google.com/intl/en/apis/analytics/docs/gaJS/gaJSApiEcommerce.html

# in cart page, we need to add into standard tracking code (I've left comments for your reference):
   // add item might be called for every item in the shopping cart

// where your ecommerce engine loops through each item in the cart and

// prints out _addItem for each

  _gaq
.push(['_addItem',

'1234',           // order ID - required

'DD44',           // SKU/code

'T-Shirt',        // product name

'Green Medium',   // category or variation

'11.99',          // unit price - required

'1'               // quantity - required

]);
  _gaq
.push(['_trackTrans']); //submits transaction to the Analytics servers
# in checkout_success.tpl page, we need to add into standard tracking code :
  _gaq.push(['_addTrans',

'1234',           // order ID - required

'Acme Clothing',  // affiliation or store name

'11.99',          // total - required

'1.29',           // tax

'5',              // shipping

'San Jose',       // city

'California',     // state or province

'USA'             // country

]);
  _gaq.push(['_trackTrans']); //submits transaction to the Analytics servers

 Google sitemap

reference
  http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hlrm=fr&answer=156184

- general guidelines
  > max. 50,000 urls per file
  > max. 10Mo per file
  > we can split sitemap in more than one file if we exceed limits, main sitemap file will contain link to other sitemaps files
  > url must be in utf-8

- generate sitemap from a php script - could be also launched by automated tasks for update
 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9">

  <url>
<loc>http://www.example.com/</loc> <<< we should index all pages: content, products, news, links
<lastmod>2005-01-01</lastmod> <<< we put here the last update for each item, format YYYY-MM-DDThh:mmTZD
<changefreq>monthly</changefreq> <<< i suggest to put weekly, or may we could consider it as a parameter in admin setup?
<priority>0.8</priority> <<< setup values in admin for each type of pages (content, products, news, link)
</url>

</urlset>

- add the address of XML sitemap file in robots.txt as follow :
Sitemap : http://example.com/sitemap.xml
Here are already coded script for your reference
  PHP generator script
  Enarion phpSitemapsNG (PHP)
  Google Sitemap Generator (Linux/Windows, 32/64bit, open-source)
  Simple Sitemaps (PHP)

Google Product Search

This is another big bunch of infos, I can write a summup here, but it involves a lot of things:
   http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/answer.py?answer=160072&hl=en

Dmitry, is it the kind of informations you were expecting from me? thank you for your feedback, and your overall thought in this.
It improves Inportal integration with must-have tools, but lower the paid services we can bill, I'm truly working for community ;-)

Cheers,
Phil.

Ilya Bernshteyn

Mar 23, 2010, 6:25:58 PM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We started researching Google Product Search

for a project but didn't end up implementing it.

The idea was to be able to list, edit and delete products to/from Google Base / Google Products Search from the Admin Console. Would it help for you guys to see what we found and where we left off?

Ilya

Dmitry Andrejev

Mar 23, 2010, 6:28:44 PM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Ilya, Please share it here, by all means.

DA.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 23, 2010, 6:32:28 PM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
yes please :)

Dmitry Andrejev

Mar 25, 2010, 1:35:00 AM3/25/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ilya,

Just a quick reminder that we didn't forget about your notes :)

DA.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 25, 2010, 6:10:13 AM3/25/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
yup :)

Ilya Bernshteyn

Mar 29, 2010, 7:14:30 PM3/29/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Ok, here's where we left off, to give credit where credit is due - this is all Erik's research into this feature. I am simply rewriting it here. If we really do want to develop this / add it to In-Portal, I can help with researching further and answering some of these questions.

1) Found a specific PHP library for working with Google services

It has a sample module for working with Google Base (install then demos/Zend/Gdata/Gbase.php)

Installation instructions indicated that this library works with Zend Framework and that php.ini needs to be configured for it to work propoerly http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/articles/php_client_lib.html#gdata-installation

2) Authentication

2.1) To use Google Base, you have to get an API key http://code.google.com/apis/base/signup.html (Web applications on the domain) - this key is part of every request to Google.

2.2) Each request also contains a token. In the sample Gbase.php, the way you get a token is through a redirect to Google, where the user has to log in, after which there's a redirect back to the client's site, and Google provides the token along with the redirect. The token never expire. The original proposal was to add a button in the Configuration section of the Admin Console "Get Token", which opens a popup to login on Google.

3) Each Google Base item has a type. Since we were planning on doing this for an E-commerce site, the assumption that all of our items were going to have the same type - products.

4) For products, Google Base recommends particular attributes

Universal attributes can also be used for products

You can also add custom attributes.

The code that creates items in Google base can be found in the file demos/Zend/Gdata/Gbase.php, but it didn't have an example of how to add images to items.

The simplest way to add an image was to put it the image URL in the Universal attribute 'image_link'.

////////////////////////////////////////

Questions to look into further...

1) Which attributes are needed and how should they be connected with In-Portal product fields (auto prefill)

2) Do we need the functionality to allow the Admin to enter custom attributes for items? If yes, what's the max number of custom attributes?

3) What will the add/modify/delete interface look like?
3.1) If all attributes are connected to In-Portal product fields, then the interface can be as follows -

In the Product Catalog and eBay Listings sections, we add a "Publish to Google" button. The Admin checks the items and clicks this button and...

a) If the item is available and has not been published yet - it gets published
b) If the item is no longer available and has been published - then it gets removed from Google
c) If the item is available and is already published - then its attributes get updated

Also...

If the button was clicked through the product catalog, then the link on Google gets placed to the product details page of the website.

If the button was clicked in the eBay Listings section, then the link on Google gets placed to the listing on eBay (eBay Auction or Store) where the item is being sold.

3.2) If the Admin needs to add custom attributes, for example 3 max, then we can add the following 6 fields to In-Portal products:

attribute1 name
attribute1 value
attribute2 name
attribute2 value
attribute3 name
attribute3 value

4) Do we need automatic monitoring of Published products / eBay items?
4.1) If the Admin changed a product in the In-Portal Product Catalog and this product has been published to Google, do we need to automatically update/delete the product in Google Base? (Delete if the product has been disabled or available quantity = 0)
4.2) If the product was bought on the site / eBay and inventory is 0, do we automatically delete it from Google Base?

5) Do we need a special section in the Admin displaying all Products that have been Published to Google? If yes, what sort of functionality do we have here - delete? update? This would allow the user to separately enter info for the Product Catalog and for Google Base.

Ilya

Dmitry Andrejev

Mar 31, 2010, 5:25:20 PM3/31/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ilya!

Lots of interesting information. I guess it will take me at least a few days to review and think through.

Guys - Phil, Alex and other listeners (I am sure Ilya has an opinion on this too) please review this and let's talk things through.

How about everyone lists he ideas by NEXT Tue (6-Apr-2010) here?

Cheers!

DA.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 1, 2010, 7:17:17 AM4/1/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Well, what Ilya have submitted is a part of my initial idea. Google base is used "for submiting all kinds of content for Google to host and to make searchable online.", and is targeted for "Google Product Search" only (see http://www.google.com/merchants). this is the last part of my proposal. Actual market make this usefull for US, maybe other countries will use it soon, but the include of the whole API is a big work... maybe not necessary at the beginning.

Other parts are still up and I'm waiting your comment for Analytics and Sitemaps integration. It doesn't seem too much hard to do... cart tracking and sitemap generation could be done 99% using new tpl, do you share this point of view?

P.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 9, 2010, 10:16:32 AM4/9/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Here are some bad news about sitemap generation:
  • there are limits on url count in one sitemap file and one sitemap file size
  • add pages, that could be found by google on site should be included also all pages of all category/product lists should be there
  • links to all product detail pages also should be there
  • links to static site pages also should be there
This way we can't do it as simple template. Also with such amount of data sitemap generation could take time and we should so it in cron and just return generated before file, when google asks for it.
I have a class on php, that does that, but it is strictly dependent on theme. When you change theme a bit, then I couldn't guess what should be removed from sitemap and what stays.

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 9, 2010, 11:46:02 AM4/9/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

1. Very easy to add Google Tracking (done this before) and we are going to add this to the themes soon.

Task needed for this.

2. Sitemap - Alex would you please post the code here or may be a Patch so I can look at it?

Need separate task.

3. Google Merchant - very easy too (done this before) - template changes.

Need task for this (probably the same)

DA.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 11, 2010, 4:11:35 AM4/11/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

there is -plenty of- allready coded PHP crawlers to generate sitemap,
could it be interesting (and easier) to generate sitemaps outside
In-Portal engine?
I gave links to these scripts sooner in this topic, I can resume them
again if needed.

Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 11, 2010, 5:51:40 AM4/11/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Problem is that sitemap links are not stored in database and are generated on the fly and only In-Portal itself can do that.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 11, 2010, 6:34:18 AM4/11/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
that's why I said we can use an external script which crawl pages, as a browser could do it, and as Google do it itself :)

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 11, 2010, 7:18:46 AM4/11/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Let's wait for you to provide exact links then.

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 11, 2010, 10:59:49 AM4/11/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
External crawlers are good, but I don't believe it will do the Job considering the Flexibility we want.

Alex if you don't mind sharing the code you had experience with and issues (you said with templates) with it. I would like to take a closer look too.

DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 12, 2010, 4:24:32 AM4/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Here it is. Just call build() and sitemap will be generated in /system/user_files/sitemaps" folder. When site domains are not used, then please comment out code in constructor, that refers to them.
sitemap_helper.php

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 12, 2010, 10:32:07 AM4/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

seeing the work done by Alex, do you still need my examples?

P.

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 12, 2010, 10:41:34 PM4/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

Sure, I can still take a look your links.

Alex, I see there are templates hard coded there:

$tag_params = Array ('types' => 'pick', 'recursive' => 1, 'parent_cat_id' => $category_id, 'per_page' => $product_per_page);
$this->addProductsWithPagination('in-commerce/store/category/editor_pick_products', $category_id, $tag_params);

// add link to: category new products
$tag_params = Array ('types' => 'last_150', 'recursive' => 1, 'parent_cat_id' => $category_id, 'per_page' => $product_per_page);
$this->addProductsWithPagination('in-commerce/store/category/new_products', $category_id, $tag_params);

// add link to: category top seller products
$tag_params = Array ('types' => 'hot', 'recursive' => 1, 'parent_cat_id' => $category_id, 'per_page' => $product_per_page);
$this->addProductsWithPagination('in-commerce/store/category/top_seller_products', $category_id, $tag_params);

I guess are mainly for particular product sections - we can skip them I guess and rely on the __default__ template? Give me your thought on making this more common used for us.

Thanks.

DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 13, 2010, 3:49:33 AM4/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
That is the problem, since we don't know what templates are used in theme and they are not "__default__" for sure. As you can see later in this script we are using "__default__" as well for listing links to product listings inside category.

Dmitry A.

Apr 26, 2010, 9:19:45 AM4/26/10
to In-Portal Development Team
Hi guys,

I have files a task for this so it doesn't get lost:

716: Google Tools Integration

http://tracker.in-portal.org/view.php?id=716

PS. for now will be doing:
- Sitemap
- eCommerce integration tracking
- Product Catalog Data feed (simple without API)

DA.

On Apr 13, 2:49 am, Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is the problem, since we don't know what templates are used in theme
> and they are not "__default__" for sure. As you can see later in this script
> we are using "__default__" as well for listing links to product listings
> inside category.
>
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Dmitry Andrejev <dandre...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi Phil,
>
> > Sure, I can still take a look your links.
>
> > Alex, I see there are templates hard coded there:
>
> > $tag_params = Array ('types' => 'pick', 'recursive' => 1, 'parent_cat_id'
> > => $category_id, 'per_page' => $product_per_page);
> >  $this->addProductsWithPagination('in-commerce/store/category/editor_pick_pr oducts',
> > $category_id, $tag_params);
>
> > // add link to: category new products
> >  $tag_params = Array ('types' => 'last_150', 'recursive' => 1,
> > 'parent_cat_id' => $category_id, 'per_page' => $product_per_page);
> >  $this->addProductsWithPagination('in-commerce/store/category/new_products',
> > $category_id, $tag_params);
>
> > // add link to: category top seller products
> >  $tag_params = Array ('types' => 'hot', 'recursive' => 1, 'parent_cat_id'
> > => $category_id, 'per_page' => $product_per_page);
> >  $this->addProductsWithPagination('in-commerce/store/category/top_seller_pro ducts',
> > $category_id, $tag_params);
>
> > I guess are mainly for particular product sections - we can skip them I
> > guess and rely on the __default__ template? Give me your thought on making
> > this more common used for us.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> > DA.
>
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Phil -- wbtc.fr -- <p...@wbtc.fr> wrote:
>
> >> Hello guys,
>
> >> seeing the work done by Alex, do you still need my examples?
>
> >> P.
>
> >> 2010/4/12 Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com>
>
> >> Here it is. Just call build() and sitemap will be generated in

> read more »

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 26, 2010, 12:28:42 PM4/26/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I think integrating API wouldn't bring a lot more than tools listed here.

p.