Depricated code removal proposal

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 4, 2010, 9:18:40 AM12/4/10
to In-Portal Development
I propose, that we should remove depricated code, used to syncronize user table changes and user login/logouts with external websites, like MediaWiki and HiveMail.

We could easely find this code in user's unit files, e.g.

$sync_manager =& $this->Application->recallObject('UsersSyncronizeManager', null, Array(), Array ('InPortalSyncronize'));

Long time ago it was added to base "In-Portal" code and was expected to be used very frequently, however years have passed and this code is now not more then a reminder of incorrect decision made at that time.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 4, 2010, 9:29:10 AM12/4/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
well, time is passing and thing are evolving...

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 4, 2010, 9:38:40 AM12/4/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Only problem is that we are not looking for code to remove just like that. Only when we change code near suspiceous code, then we notice it.

Hope In-Portal could become better some day. It's already better, then it's first 1.0.3 version, which was the first version of it I've used.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 4, 2010, 9:40:39 AM12/4/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
of course big improvment have been made, and now I think we should focus on admin design, because we have very strong functions for many things, but still a poor admin looking and behavior, compared to other CMS available actually... ok just a note, this is not the right place to talk about that :)

Dmitry Andrejev

Dec 4, 2010, 11:43:37 AM12/4/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I'll stay on course of your original post.

I believe we should remove the old In-Portal code, but keep Synchronization class since it's there and coded in 5.x style. It's not something that should bother us much since when we need it we can use it while to code it from scratch is too much time again.

DA

--

Best regards,

Dmitry A.

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 4, 2010, 12:16:59 PM12/4/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
"When we needed" haven't happened in 3 years. Also that code is called on every operation with user and it's just doing nothing.

Dmitry Andrejev

Dec 4, 2010, 12:19:40 PM12/4/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Let's disable it for now so it's NOT called on ever operation, but I would leave it in the distribution...

It has more potential then other parts of unused code we have...

DA