Cron reminder in "Agents" section

Alexander Obuhovich

Nov 14, 2011, 5:59:28 AM11/14/11
to In-Portal Development
In-Portal has 2 ways of running agents:
  • via cron (recommended)
  • after page is displayed to user

Right now setting to enable cron usage is located far away from agents section. I'm proposing to add a hint to "Agents" section (like one in "Change Logs" section), that would show a small dialog window, where sample crontab lines are displayed, like this:

--- CUT HERE ---
[Enable Cron] [Disable Cron] - toolbar buttons

I have a UNIX-based server. How do I setup cron jobs?

Typically you will be able to setup your cron with the following format:
*/5 * * * * php /path/to/in-portal/tools/cron.php

If your PHP executable is installed in a custom folder, you may need to specify the PHP folder (such as /usr/local/bin/php) with your custom PHP path in a following command:
*/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php /path/to/in-portal/tools/cron.php

If you are having trouble setting up the cron (or do not know the location of PHP on the server) you can use the following format:
--- CUT HERE ---

This would allow user to see how cron job should be added and manually confirm/decline enabling of "Run Agents Through Cron" configuration setting.

--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Nov 14, 2011, 8:18:08 AM11/14/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I'm for it, as all ideas making in-portal's usage more intuitive.

Dmitry A.

Nov 19, 2011, 3:11:45 PM11/19/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of having the option to enable this, but I having problem the problem envisioning how we are going to show those Samples so it's user friendly and doesn't break the looks.

Any ideas / examples on this?

DA

Dmitry A.

Dec 6, 2011, 3:05:34 PM12/6/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Any new ideas here?

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 6, 2011, 3:22:41 PM12/6/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I think it's again the point where I'll ask the revival of contextual help, as question mark icon, or as toolbar text link - hey yes, it's never done yet, then it'd be eye catching :)

2011/12/6 Dmitry A. <dand...@gmail.com>
Any new ideas here?

DA