Separating default sender and default recipient setting in configuration

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 13, 2011, 5:37:22 AM10/13/11
to In-Portal Development
Now In-Portal has single configuration variable "Messages from Site Admin are from" (Smtp_AdminMailFrom), that is used as default from e-mail for all outgoing e-mail that are sent from the site.

In fact the same configuration variable is used as default recipient for any e-mail, that is sent to administrator from the site (e.g. validate new link e-mail, contact us form was submitted e-mail).
This is inconvinient, since you can't specify multiple admin e-mails because same e-mail list would be used as "From" part of outgoing e-mails and will break them down.

Now you need to go though every e-mail event settings and manually assign admin users to each event and that's inconvinient.

What I'm proposing:
  1. add configuration variable called "DefaultEmailRecipients" or something like it (need to figure out how to to translate it to human readable format) as "textarea", where you can specify any number of e-mail (on one per line format), like you usually do in your e-mail client (e.g. "FirstName LastName <fi...@email.com>" or "em...@sample.com")
  2. add same variable to site domain record, since default from e-mail is also present there
Maybe renaming "Smtp_AdminMailFrom" to "DefaultEmailSender" would be good too.

--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 13, 2011, 1:56:04 PM10/13/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
this is a really good idea, but I think the variable should be named "AdminEmailRecipents", is this is intended to receive admin messages.

Does actual "DefaultEmailSender" field also understand addresses like "Alex <aik....@gmail.com>" ? It should also work like the new field.

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 13, 2011, 2:09:23 PM10/13/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
this is a really good idea, but I think the variable should be named "AdminEmailRecipents", is this is intended to receive admin messages.

I'm open to suggestions, since I wasn't sure if new variable name would be understandable to others.

Does actual "DefaultEmailSender" field also understand addresses like "Alex <aik....@gmail.com>" ? It should also work like the new field.

Nope. It uses Website name + default email as sender.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 13, 2011, 3:44:21 PM10/13/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
ok. thanks for fast reply on this.

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 16, 2011, 11:21:05 AM12/16/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
There is a duplicate discussion here: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/in-portal-dev/MeYX1VvU7VA/discussion

Another idea: maybe instead of large textarea we can place a standard recipient entering control from "Settings" tab of e-mail event editing page (see attached image).
email_recipient_control.png

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 16, 2011, 2:11:35 PM12/16/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
idea is good too, but Dmitry's proposal about ability to setup a whole group as admin recipient for system messages is cool too.
In fact, at some point, it's an email configuration rather than admin : it's very easy to setup a group address which deliver emails to many emails, but it's easier to manage the whole thing in admin panel.

Your 2 ideas are good:
- ability to setup an admin group, in case a person in charge is not here, someone else receive emails
- ability to setup a list of specific recipient is useful, for example an approved order email would be sent to person in charge of preparing parcels, and processed orders emails could be sent to accounting people

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 17, 2011, 6:06:29 AM12/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
In total we have these options:
  • [Alex] Add a new "AdminEmailRecipents" configuration variable as a large textarea, where you can specify multiple e-mail addresses (in one e-mail per line format)  in a form "firstname lastname <em...@address.com>".
  • [Alex/Dmitry] Add a new "AdminEmailRecipents" configuration variable as recipient specification control (see my previous post) that allows to specify to/cc/bcc (not only to recipients as usual).
  • [Alex] Add "ReceiveAdminEmails" checkbox into user/group record and users from marked groups or users marked exactly will receive admin designated e-mails.
Also Dmitry suggested, that can use "from e-mail" that we already have to act as "to e-mail" (for admin email events) in case if to e-mails in a new form haven't been specified.

Dmitry A.

Dec 19, 2011, 12:23:00 AM12/19/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I strongly believe that Option 2 (Alex/Dmitry) with Interfaces + ability to use From Email as default To Email will work the best. The main reasons are:

1. we don't want to over complicate current Users/Admin functionality/data structure
2. it's sounds more like Subscription task where ANY user can be subscribed almost to anything, this is NOT the goal here
3. we'll need to make lost of work to make this work/use all options CC/BCC/TO and other
4. not as flexible.

The only concern/question that remains here is the location of this Interface.

Option 1 - Advanced -> Email Settings sub-section

Option 2 - come up with new section under Configuration.

I am voting Option 1 for now - at least until we get to new Admin Interface questions.

I hope you are convinced.

DA

Dmitry A.

Dec 19, 2011, 8:27:43 PM12/19/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Any thoughts here?

I would love to see this Finalized and have it for 5.2.0 as soon as possible (need to create task too).

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 20, 2011, 3:16:25 AM12/20/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I'm ok with it, since this was the idea I suggested too.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 20, 2011, 6:55:14 AM12/20/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I'm also ok with Alex/Dmitry idea :)

Dmitry A.

Dec 23, 2011, 4:27:44 PM12/23/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
New task is ready for this.

1183: Separate setting for default Email Sender / Recipients

DA