Custom Fields Naming

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

May 18, 2010, 7:59:01 PM5/18/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

we still use a simple text field for naming custom fields, while this is a special field which should not contain spaces or special chars. Do you plan to change this, or is there a way to call the custom field ID instead of its name?

Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

May 19, 2010, 2:59:13 AM5/19/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
We use custom field ID to address it in database (e.g. table CategoryCustomDate, field l1_cust_2) , so it's no big deal to use how user will name that custom field, because it won't break anything.
--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

May 19, 2010, 11:03:02 AM5/19/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
my question was related to the displayong or use of this customs fields on front end.

for example, in a form, we have

<inp2:m_RenderElement name="inp_edit_options" prefix="l" field="cust_LinkCountry" title="lu_fld_Country"/>

cust_LinkCountry is made of cust_ + custom field name, that's why I ask propose to eliminate this source of problem. It's a not a big deal now, but the more users we'll have, the more case they'll report on something which "appears" like a bug, but is not at all.

Alexander Obuhovich

May 19, 2010, 11:31:39 AM5/19/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Ok, let's validate then. What symbols are allowed:
  • latin letters
  • numbers

Dmitry Andrejev

May 19, 2010, 11:33:36 AM5/19/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's a good idea - only alpha-numeric can be used.

DA.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

May 19, 2010, 11:41:12 AM5/19/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
no underscore/dash/period?

Alexander Obuhovich

May 19, 2010, 12:02:52 PM5/19/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
We don't use none of that symbols in field naming according to naming conventions we are following in In-Portal.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

May 19, 2010, 4:18:27 PM5/19/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
ok, I though underscore was admissible :)