Possible improvements to grid date range filter

1 view

Alexander Obuhovich

Aug 9, 2010, 5:00:32 AM8/9/10
to In-Portal Development
We have pretty obvious "grid_date_range_filter" filter, that allows to enter date interval (from and to date) to filter grid records by.

I think, that we could make interval selection easier by placing dropdown above date fields with such possible values:
  • empty value
  • today
  • yesterday
  • 1 week
  • 1 month
When appropriate value is selected, then from and to dates are automatically prefilled without a need to use date picker at all.

I have 2 questions about that:
  1. do we need such an ability?
  2. how words "1 week" and "1 month" can be interpreted?
For example "1 week" could be:
  • from today till "today minus 7 days"
  • from yesterday till "today minus 7 days"
  • from "get calendar week of today minus 1 week" to "get calendar week from today minus 2 weeks"

For example "1 month" could be:
  • from today till "today minus 30 days"
  • from yesterday till "today minus 30 days"
  • from "get calendar month of today minus 1 month" to "get calendar week from today minus 2 months"

Maybe meaning changes based on filter usage:
  • one meaning for reports
  • other meaning for regular grids

Any ideas?

--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Aug 13, 2010, 5:36:15 AM8/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I personnaly use very rarely this option, as it's more on reporting
stage that we need to deal with dates (maybe a future module or
function ^^).
When I use this filter in order list, I look for a particular order,
and then I don't need any predefined interval...

Alexander Obuhovich

Aug 13, 2010, 5:40:28 AM8/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
This function could be useful, then database tables are filled by them selves (by other users) and you want to see last updates for that interval.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Aug 13, 2010, 6:17:46 AM8/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I didn't though about the use for other places than order, you are
right on this.

then I'd suggest "between now and my last logout date" :)

Alexander Obuhovich

Aug 13, 2010, 7:06:46 AM8/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
This is not front-end so use last login date for filter :)

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Aug 13, 2010, 9:35:49 AM8/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
i said "logout" because if you add items and logout, you'll se them
again on next login if you search for items modified/created between
your previous login and now :)

Alexander Obuhovich

Sep 2, 2010, 7:01:26 AM9/2/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com