Change module selector on language pack export screen to multiselect

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 6, 2009, 6:14:27 AM12/6/09
to In-Portal Development
I propose to Change module selector on language pack export screen to multiselect (from checkbox list) because a lot of checkboxes (when you have more then 3 modules installed) are not an easy way to select specific module for exporting.

--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.org
http://www.alex-time.com

Dmitry A.

Dec 6, 2009, 11:38:59 PM12/6/09
to In-Portal Development
I would actually disagree with that. I would rather select all by
default since in most cases you export all so it's easier to un-check.

Other thing is we might want to list modules in 1 column and provide
some additional info like Number of Phrases and Event Events in each
Module for this Language that will be exported.

What you think?

DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 7, 2009, 2:55:51 AM12/7/09
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
You didn't get my point here. What I mean here is that list of checked checkboxes is replaced with multiselect where all items also are all checked. When user doesn't touch checkboxes, then all works the same. Change is that to uncheck element he need to hold "Ctrl" and he will be able to select one module just by clicking on it (this will unselect all previously selected modules and select given module).

Dmitry A.

Dec 7, 2009, 11:18:54 AM12/7/09
to In-Portal Development
Yes, I do understand your point - we are trying to simplify the
process.

In particular we need a way to quickly select all and un-select all
modules.

At the same time I believe we should not lose ability to extend by
adding new features which actually might very useful and informative.

In my opinion by using single Multi-Select area we'll loose ability to
list additional information about module Phrases.

I would approach it this way:

1. List all modules with Check-boxes in one column
2. List additional info (number of Phrase and Events) next to each
modules
3. Provide Select ALL and NONE options above check-boxes.

Also, I think it makes sense to pass this to out Designs Interfaces
guys.

What you think?

DA.
to unselect User will be doing the same number of clicks + needs to
hold Ctrl.
> > in-portal-de...@googlegroups.com<in-portal-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 7, 2009, 1:14:21 PM12/7/09
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I see you've find the solution, that will satisfy both parties. About design I think that two links above checkbox list (Select All, Unselect All) is what we need, so we won't need to bother designers about that. Also your previous idea about texaareas, where user can specify only phrases/email events (by name), that need to be exported also looks very useful. All that would be a nice feature for 5.1.0 release.

By the way we should start composing 5.1.0 release (in issue tracker). I think, that 5.1.0 will mostly consist of a lot small features, rather, then a small count of large features.

Dmitry A.

Dec 16, 2009, 3:27:32 PM12/16/09
to In-Portal Development
This has been filed as new Feature Request:

455: Interface Improvements to Language pack Export

http://tracker.in-portal.org/view.php?id=455

No version selected just yet, but we'll discuss this shortly.

DA.

On Dec 7, 12:14 pm, Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see you've find the solution, that will satisfy both parties. About design
> I think that two links above checkbox list (Select All, Unselect All) is
> what we need, so we won't need to bother designers about that. Also your
> previous idea about texaareas, where user can specify only phrases/email
> events (by name), that need to be exported also looks very useful. All that
> would be a nice feature for 5.1.0 release.
>
> By the way we should start composing *5.1.0 release* (in issue tracker). I

> > > --
> > > Best Regards,
>
> > >http://www.in-portal.orghttp://www.alex-time.com

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 22, 2010, 5:55:10 PM3/22/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Here is how it will look (screenshot after patch is applied).

Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com
language_export_advanced.png

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 22, 2010, 6:15:46 PM3/22/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
nice design, simple and clear. to export specified phrases or e-mails
events, should we use their ID or their inportal label? Separated by ?

last remark: it's a long time I don't make any difference between
modules lang packs, but rather websites langpack, as when you do mods
on a website, they are related to the business they run, and for
example you can do a change to core labels, and this changes could
reflect the fact we are using only in-commerce, i.e. such changes
alone won't be of any help for another website.

Should it be possible to use a full lang pack (with all modules), and
the system will install only the needed langs, based on installed
modules? it could keep the raw lang pack for futures modules install
(or even use the online lang pack update as we've seen in another
post), avoiding the missing labels when installing new modules, as
we've seen before, and we would only maintain 1 big lang pack and not
a myriad of small packs which are raely used alone new they are nearly
all for free.

Good night Alex, I go offline :)
Phil.

2010/3/22 Alexander Obuhovich <aik....@gmail.com>:

> in-portal-dev+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the
> words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Dmitry Andrejev

Mar 22, 2010, 11:53:28 PM3/22/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

I'll answer your both questions:

1. You specify the Label or Event Name if you want to export something specific and not the Entire Language pack (or module)

2. You are missing very important point here. As we all know our goal is to get lot's of translations these are our main points:

a. It's very unlikely someone is going to translate 4K+ language pack
b. It's easier to maintain since we are making modules fully independent from In-Portal Core
c. Front end language pack is fully independent and Module based now too since I don't need phrases I have in Onlinestore theme installed for Advanced and other way around.

To answer your question about custom labels that you are adding changing. What we do - we add all NEW labels to a Custom module (Dev Kit) which is what we always install for all our projects. The main purpose of the Custom module is to add new and extend existing PHP functionality (classes)

By the way, we notice very minor activity in the Localization group - who is the Leader down there? ;)

Cheers!

DA.

Dmitry Andrejev

Mar 22, 2010, 11:54:18 PM3/22/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Alex - VERY good work as always!

Exactly what we planned.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 23, 2010, 4:36:49 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Small note here:

1. there is bug, that prevents hints for these two fields (textarea) to be shown, but patch is already up for testing and will be included once 5.0.3-B1 will be released.
2. in that hint label there is detailed explanation what data format should be used
3. we are actually combining selected module + entered phrase names + entered event names

If entered event/phrase names should override selected modules from above, then please tell my why. For example I can specify some phrases and none events and in this case want these phrases + all events exported from selected above modules.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 23, 2010, 6:20:46 AM3/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dmitry,

1. ok

2. I agree with you, just few remarks:

a. sure it's a big job, but done only once
b. as I told you before, I've make coding a perl script which detects
new tags :)
c. I agree

Ok for module "Custom", I'd be happy to read more about it, how it
works, how we can code things in it...

About localization group:
- I've asked by e-mail on 20th march if something else was needed
about the fact french lang pack is marked as "not complete" on
in-portal.com
- I'm still waiting an answer in
http://groups.google.com/group/in-portal-guide/browse_thread/thread/1458b83654675724
- I'm on the go to create new lang packs for front-end (in new languages)

Cheers!
Phil.