Review filters in "View Menu"

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 25, 2010, 2:44:02 AM2/25/10
to In-Portal Development
Since now all grids have individual filters for each column we don't need to duplicate them in view menu. I think, that most of current view menu filters should be removed at all. We need to review "FilterMenu" option in each unit config and "menu_filters" parameter of "grid" block, on template, where menu filters are used.

--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil

Feb 26, 2010, 12:00:03 PM2/26/10
to In-Portal Development Team
I agree, and by the way, we can also remove the "Per page" option, as
this would come to the filter bar, (http://groups.google.com/group/in-
portal-dev/browse_thread/thread/6d9a942de3693087)
and finally, we just have "select column" and "auto-refresh", right?

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 26, 2010, 3:52:50 PM2/26/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
We will have:
  • Select Columns
  • Auto-Refresh
  • Sort - I think, that we can remove that since we already have sorting control for each column all the time
  • Select - checkbox in filters row partially duplicates this

Dmitry V. Andrejev

Feb 26, 2010, 4:15:03 PM2/26/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Looks good Alex,

How and when we are planning these changes.

I suppose it's some thing we should coordinate with Pagination changes?

--
With best regards,

Dmitry V. Andrejev

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 26, 2010, 4:39:26 PM2/26/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
It's not top priority, but any help would be appreciated.

Phil

Feb 27, 2010, 4:08:56 PM2/27/10
to In-Portal Development Team
if, like Alex and I agreed, we just have select columns and auto-
refresh, then I propose to completly remove the "view" button, and
place theses options in tools, as they are only tools for browsing
category.

We will also gain in usability, we get less options hidden in -too
many- menus, and we gain in efficiency, no more wait for JS to display
a sub-sub-menu for sorting, for example :-)

We have many of competitor's options, but we need to dramatically
improve the intuitivity, and I'll do my best to help you in this way,
if you agree with me on this.

On 26 fév, 22:39, Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not top priority, but any help would be appreciated.
>

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Dmitry V. Andrejev <dandre...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> >  Looks good Alex,
>
> > How and when we are planning these changes.
>
> > I suppose it's some thing we should coordinate with Pagination changes?
>
> > --
> > With best regards,
>
> > Dmitry V. Andrejev
>
> > On 2/26/2010 2:52 PM, Alexander Obuhovich wrote:
>
> > We will have:
>

> >    - Select Columns
> >    - Auto-Refresh
> >    - Sort - I think, that we can remove that since we already have sorting

> >    control for each column all the time

> >     - Select - checkbox in filters row partially duplicates this

> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Phil <p...@domicilis.biz> wrote:
>
> >> I agree, and by the way, we can also remove the "Per page" option, as
> >> this would come to the filter bar, (http://groups.google.com/group/in-

> >> portal-dev/browse_thread/thread/6d9a942de3693087<http://groups.google.com/group/in-%0Aportal-dev/browse_thread/thread/...>

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 28, 2010, 7:37:12 AM2/28/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I was talking about "View Menu" in general (for all system grids), but "View Menu" merging with "Tools" menu for catalog also seems to be a good idea.

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 14, 2010, 9:38:32 AM3/14/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Looks like it's two related tasks or one task with 2 parts:
  1. remove duplicate items from view menu
  2. merge view menu with tools menu in catalog

Dmitry Andrejev

Mar 14, 2010, 4:23:12 PM3/14/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Actually we should talk to Andrew and other guys about Merging View Menu with Tools.

Remember we wanted to have the ability to control those Items via System Presets.

DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 14, 2010, 5:03:25 PM3/14/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Toolbar buttons yes, but not sub-menus of view menu.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Mar 14, 2010, 5:35:16 PM3/14/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
It's not just a merging of 2 menus, it's a change in ergonomy and usability.

Ergonomy, as all View-related fields will disappear for the benefit of
a direct access around listing, and Editing button hiden in Tools will
re-appears.

Usability, as actual View Menu is not adapted to everyday use, and
finally the less menu we have in toolbar, the better will be the
intuitivity of the software.

p.

Dmitry A.

Mar 14, 2010, 11:56:16 PM3/14/10
to In-Portal Development Team
Guys,

Currently we are trying to work list of changes we need to make now so
we don't have duplicate or useless options.

Phil, I have nothing against improving "Ergonomy" and "Usability" of
the menu, but we need to hear more concrete steps and solutions.
Please list them in a list or even better attach the draft how you
envision these changes.

Cheers!

DA.

On Mar 14, 4:35 pm, "Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::.."

> It's not just a merging of 2 menus, it's a change in ergonomy and usability.
>
> Ergonomy, as all View-related fields will disappear for the benefit of
> a direct access around listing, and Editing button hiden in Tools will
> re-appears.
>
> Usability, as actual View Menu is not adapted to everyday use, and
> finally the less menu we have in toolbar, the better will be the
> intuitivity of the software.
>
> p.
>

> 2010/3/14 Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com>:

> > Toolbar buttons yes, but not sub-menus of view menu.
>

> > On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Dmitry Andrejev <dandre...@gmail.com>

> > wrote:
>
> >> Actually we should talk to Andrew and other guys about Merging View Menu
> >> with Tools.
> >> Remember we wanted to have the ability to control those Items via System
> >> Presets.
>
> >> DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Mar 15, 2010, 5:22:28 AM3/15/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Seems, that you haven't read all discussion Dmitry, since Phil and I have already listed them before.

Alexander Obuhovich

May 23, 2010, 12:15:13 PM5/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

May 23, 2010, 4:57:21 PM5/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
in addition to the task, we need to add "status" column available in
column picker for section, otherwise we'll loose the status filter for
sections.

Dmitry A.

May 23, 2010, 5:50:52 PM5/23/10
to In-Portal Development Team
Quick note here.

I believe this whole and some other tasks fall in the category of
tasks which can be deprecated in 5.2.0 where we want to update our all
Lists and Grids.

We don't want to spend to time for something that will be resolved in
other task - please keep this in mind Alex.

Phil, all available (to choose) columns are defined in Config file of
the Unit and "status" field is there too (when needed). If you see any
place where we are missing a field please note it here or separate
(new discussions).

Thanks.

DA.

On May 23, 3:57 pm, "Phil -- wbtc.fr --" <p...@wbtc.fr> wrote:
> in addition to the task, we need to add "status" column available in
> column picker for section, otherwise we'll loose the status filter for
> sections.
>
> 2010/5/23 Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com>:
>

> > Task:http://tracker.in-portal.org/view.php?id=746
>
> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Seems, that you haven't read all discussion Dmitry, since Phil and I have
> >> already listed them before.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

May 23, 2010, 5:53:26 PM5/23/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Dmitry, I was in the mood of thinking task by task, by that's right,
the forecoming flexgrid will overide any other filter/menu.