Content Management Review (v5.0.x)

Phil

Jan 25, 2010, 4:43:35 PM1/25/10
to In-Portal Design & Interfaces Team
Hello Team,

after many tests I've done about content management, I would like to
post here my thought about the changes made in v5. I can't say that
the mix between folders and content is a good idea, as far as I've
tested it.

>>Ergonomy
- compared to v4, where folders were including contents, the actual
way of doing is absolutly ununderstandable for an average user
(including me). Actually, a folder can contain only other folders, as
the folder itself can be a content... It's not what we are used to
see, as all actual users interfaces, from x11 to OsX and Windows, use
at least different icons for folders and files.
Of course I explain it to new users when they are in training courses,
but it doesn't seems very smart, and the content managment looses all
it's intuitivity.

- impossible to edit a content if we already are inside the folder,
as we have lost the "Edit actual category" button. The user need to
click and wait for the upper lever menu to display, and then click
again on the folder name to edit it's content

- the icon used to view directly the content in Browse mode, next to
folder name is very cute... and very small :-) when users need to
click on it all day long, it could be interesting to have a
reasonnable sized icon (or even a real button)

>> Functions
- compared to v4, we can't choose anymore to display the content in
additionnal places, like we were used to do by using "Category" tab in
v4. We can do it putting our hands into theme coding, but this remove
a lot of flexibility for end-users, and isn't the goal of a CMS

- due to folders/content mix, it's impossible to have a content into
a subdirectory, without having the sub-directory beeing himself a new
page, and thus a non-desired content (undesired page which can be
accessed trought navigation bar & drop-down menus)

May I didn't understoud everything in the new way of doing, but this
proove at least the loss of intuitivity, when a 5 years regular user
can't achieve his basical needs.

As easier can be the page coding, peoples who'll spent the more time
on In-Portal are end-users, and everything should be done to ease
their everyday's life, with a less-click-as-possible strategy, if we
want to compete with others CMS.

I hope my post will help, and I'll appreciate all your comments, good
or not!

Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 26, 2010, 3:52:46 AM1/26/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
About "View in Browse Mode" I agree, that it should be made larger or even should replace link to page name, which now leads to given page editing (page name link would lead to front-end, that's more intuitive).

Toolbar button "Edit current category" was moved to submenu under "Tools" toolbar button to make sure, that toolbar buttons are not wrapped on 2nd line for users with lesser screen resolutions. At the development stage of 5x version there were attempt to remove it, but I insisted, that it's very useful button for users and it stayed, but has been moved.

We still can make one category appear in other categories by using "Relations" tab on category editing. Slight change should be made in templates (on front-end) to show related categories.

There is way to tell, that category/page should not be shown in menu, by using "Menu Status" radio button on page/category editing. By default all new pages are created and displayed in menu, but user can choose that "Menu Status" field value upon page creation to archive what he wants. Maybe by default we shouldn't show all new pages in menu and let user decide that.

Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Jan 26, 2010, 8:16:26 AM1/26/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander,

thank you for your fast reply.

I agree to avoid the toolbar growth on 2 lines, but all on versions I've installed, even if there's a lot of free space between buttons and search box, I have 2 lines (see attached file, screenshot taken under 5,0,1).

Ok about menu status, even if the content page is still reachable by entering the directory name...

I forgot to mention that we have also lost the URL's view in listing mode, and this was very usefull for everyday use, to know the page address without editing it, and this URL was also the link actually replaced by the tiny editing link.

The "Relation" tab isn't doing the same work as "Category", we had this Relation tab in previous versions, and as far as I've understoud, it's still working the same way: to suggest other content, not to display the content itself somewhere else.

I still can't find the interest to have a page appearing the same way as folder.
Just imagine a content-only website (like the ones I'm actually doing), I finally have many elements appearing exactly the same way, some of them are menus, others are content, and there's no way to distinguish them, neither impossible to know the final URL... at least we can see in list view if it's shown in menu or not, but we don't know more: is it a page, a menu, or just a folder to had a directory for the content?
Before, we just had to write the full path into filename field, now we need to create a folder and put the content inside this folder... the result is that when you edit a page, you can't know the final path, as it depend on parent's folder, whom we don't know the path without editing them... I just go crazy !

It's really boring to seriously use CMS now... and more and more complicated, for the same result.

Phil.

2010/1/26 Alexander Obuhovich <aik....@gmail.com>:
inp-admin-view.gif
inp-admin-view-2.gif

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 26, 2010, 8:38:12 AM1/26/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Here is some thoughts about relations.

In 4.x versions we have Categories and Pages, that resided inside them. Categories tab on page editing allowed to show same page in different categories. This can be used on templates, that are showing pages, that are located inside category. In 5.x version Page and Category terms are united into one Section term.

So to gain Categories tab effect you should edit all sections, that should appear in other categories and make one way relation to target section, where they should shown. It's a bit reversed process looking back on Categories tab, I agree with that. There is no problem with recreating Categories tab functionality for sections, because I also thinking, that this will more straight forward to migrating (from 4.x) and new users.

Related to search toolbar buttons in two lines, please specify browser version and operation system used. I have witnessed same problem on Linux systems (don't have one myself, so I need help here). Also on that screenshots all textboxes have grey color instead of white, that's strange. Haven't seen such appearance in any windows theme I've used.

Related to page url.
In 4.x version there was no real connection of page url and it's location in structure, so it seemed, there is no way to locate page in administrative console just knowing it's url. The attempt was made to fix this by making page url automatically formed based on it's location in "Structure & Data" section. By my opinion this is only effective for pages, that are shown in menu, because by url it's clear to user from where he has came on this page.

For other pages, that are not located in menu that's not so good idea I agree, but I can't see an easy solution for now. On other hand we could allow to place "/" inside Filename field during page editing. When user does so it will unlink page's url from it's location in structure. Such page editing technique may not be so obvious to user.

What you think about it? Looking forward for you response, because it looks like you have a lot of experience dealing with cms systems and in-portal in particular.

Dmitry A.

Jan 26, 2010, 8:45:30 AM1/26/10
to In-Portal Design & Interfaces Team
Hello Phil,

First of all thanks for your detailed review and notes on 5.x
interfaces.

1. I'll reply right away about your last screenshot where the search
box is wrapped - it's my fault since I haven't thought that text would
be that longer in non-English installations. I'll be adjusting in
5.0.3 today and posted a patch for you here - very easy.

2. Old Categories tab - you can easily place the same Section within
multiple sections using Relations and I haven't seen too many cases
when the same page was placed in multiple categories, but I agree with
Alex that we can recreate old Categories tab (would be called Sections
nows)

3. Pages vs. Sections approach, Phil let me ask you a question - how
would you list/show products or other items on the CMS Page in old In-
Portal? Now you simply add them in that Section (in Catalog), add
corresponding Tag that would list the items and you are done. This
wouldn't be possible in 4.x with Pages since they are the Catalog
items themselves.

Cheers!

On Jan 26, 7:16 am, "Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::.."

> 2010/1/26 Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com>:

> > About "View in Browse Mode" I agree, that it should be made larger or even
> > should replace link to page name, which now leads to given page editing
> > (page name link would lead to front-end, that's more intuitive).
>
> > Toolbar button "Edit current category" was moved to submenu under "Tools"
> > toolbar button to make sure, that toolbar buttons are not wrapped on 2nd
> > line for users with lesser screen resolutions. At the development stage of
> > 5x version there were attempt to remove it, but I insisted, that it's very
> > useful button for users and it stayed, but has been moved.
>
> > We still can make one category appear in other categories by using
> > "Relations" tab on category editing. Slight change should be made in
> > templates (on front-end) to show related categories.
>
> > There is way to tell, that category/page should not be shown in menu, by
> > using "Menu Status" radio button on page/category editing. By default all
> > new pages are created and displayed in menu, but user can choose that
> "Menu
> > Status" field value upon page creation to archive what he wants. Maybe by
> > default we shouldn't show all new pages in menu and let user decide that.

> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/in-portal-design?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > Best Regards,
>
> >http://www.in-portal.com
> >http://www.alex-time.com
>
> > --

> .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/in-portal-design?hl=en.
>

>  inp-admin-view.gif
> 43KViewDownload
>
>  inp-admin-view-2.gif
> 36KViewDownload

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Jan 26, 2010, 12:40:57 PM1/26/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

1. toolbar on 2 lines
- Alexander, this happens on FF 3,5,7, on W7, and does the same on Vista. I can test on OsX, but I think it rely only on browser behavior. Don't be afraid of grey boxes, I've setup a grey background by default on my OS to save my eyes :D
- Dmitry, screenshots have been made from a clean english install, not a french one, you can see labels

2. I agree to the fact that it'd be more intuitive and obvious to have a Sections tab, instead of something tricky.

3. Pages vs. Sections approach
Dmitry, even if the result is the same, this is totally confusing for any user to have the same appearence for folders and content. The main idea is that In-Portal need to be understoud by everybody, with less knowledge as possible. Anybody who use a mouse and a keyboard have at least the knowledge of a folder and a file (my mother still doesn't, but it's another problem ^-^). Why would we create a new approach, a new way of thinking, when everybody have at least this base? I feel myself a bit stupid when I'm teaching the new interface and I need to tell users "yes, pages and folders have the same appearance". It doesn't seems so hard to change an icon when the folder is used as a page content, don't you think so?

Alexander, about my uses in v4, I was just putting "about/policy" in the field "filename" and the path to the content was "http://domain.tld/about/policy.html". In this old good time, because page's path was also displayed in listing, we had all pages in one directory. We could arrange them into subfolders, but anywhere the page was, just a quick look at the path told us were was appearing this page.

Dmitry, tell me how you can do actually to quickly know the complete path to a given page, provinding that the page is in a subfolder?

For example, one of my customers, who have a merchant website (http://www.freshheure.fr) have 97 content pages for... SEO purposes ! Don't just  think about pages displaying, think about search engines optimization too.

Finally, about my experience in CMS and In-Portal, it's more than 5y (now 6) I'm using In-Portal, and I have frequent look at competitors (Magento, Prestashop, OsCommerce). I'm working and doing support indifferently on Windows all versions, Mac Os and I use Linux. That's why is focus on efficient things, and with all the work achieved for In-Portal being what it is, it's sad to need learning a programmer aproach. Mac OsX is a good example: it's doing exactly the same things as Windows, but have been always more intuitive and easy to use, even if the goal was the same: handle files and folder, and display a mouse pointer :)

Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 26, 2010, 1:02:31 PM1/26/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
About icons we already have:
  • yellow folder for page (created by user) in menu
  • yellow grayed out folder for page (created by user) not in menu
  • red folder for page (created by system) in menu
  • red grayed out folder for page (created by system) not in menu
  • yellow folder with green question mark for pending category added via front-end
  • yellow folder with red cross for disabled category added via front-end

When page doesn't contain any sub-pages, then it should be marked with file icon (same color states)? And entering inside file to create sub-page doesn't seem to intuitive. I'm not a designer, but if we stick with 4 new icon approach, then we need to imagine some new icons here.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::.. <ph...@domicilis.biz> wrote:
Hello guys,

1. toolbar on 2 lines
- Alexander, this happens on FF 3,5,7, on W7, and does the same on Vista. I can test on OsX, but I think it rely only on browser behavior. Don't be afraid of grey boxes, I've setup a grey background by default on my OS to save my eyes :D
- Dmitry, screenshots have been made from a clean english install, not a french one, you can see labels

2. I agree to the fact that it'd be more intuitive and obvious to have a Sections tab, instead of something tricky.

3. Pages vs. Sections approach
Dmitry, even if the result is the same, this is totally confusing for any user to have the same appearance for folders and content. The main idea is that In-Portal need to be understood by everybody, with less knowledge as possible. Anybody who use a mouse and a keyboard have at least the knowledge of a folder and a file (my mother still doesn't, but it's another problem ^-^). Why would we create a new approach, a new way of thinking, when everybody have at least this base? I feel myself a bit stupid when I'm teaching the new interface and I need to tell users "yes, pages and folders have the same appearance". It doesn't seems so hard to change an icon when the folder is used as a page content, don't you think so?

Alexander, about my uses in v4, I was just putting "about/policy" in the field "filename" and the path to the content was "http://domain.tld/about/policy.html". In this old good time, because page's path was also displayed in listing, we had all pages in one directory. We could arrange them into subfolders, but anywhere the page was, just a quick look at the path told us were was appearing this page.

Dmitry, tell me how you can do actually to quickly know the complete path to a given page, providing that the page is in a subfolder?

Phil

Jan 26, 2010, 3:51:48 PM1/26/10
to In-Portal Design & Interfaces Team
About graphical ideas, maybe an overlay on standard icon, like a small
notepad, or even the background of the line, could be changed when
something is entered into Description field, in order to see quickly
where we have content.
The idea is to recognize a content vs. a folder.

I've also proposed, few monthes ago, to make the "Description" and
"Short description" fields working the following way:
- if a text is entered directly into the cell, the system will
interpret line breaks as <br> and thus display it correctly
- if we click on a surrounding link "Advanced editing", FCK editor
will be loaded AT THE SAME PLACE (and the editor will load again
everytime we edit the content)

Yes, I've just described how Gmail is working with e-mails edition,
and this approach seems to be the best for content:
- if we want the content to be displayed according to the theme's
CSS, we just enter text.
- If we need to add photos, links, and so on, we switch to advanced
edition mode (switch=less change as possible in the interface)
- for next editing, the last used mode (text or html) will be used

I also propose to restore the "path" column in list view, and as
before, it could be a link for text editing.

Phil.

On Jan 26, 7:02 pm, Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> About icons we already have:
>

>    - yellow folder for page (created by user) in menu
>    - yellow grayed out folder for page (created by user) not in menu
>    - red folder for page (created by system) in menu
>    - red grayed out folder for page (created by system) not in menu
>    - yellow folder with green question mark for pending category added via
>    front-end
>    - yellow folder with red cross for disabled category added via front-end

> When page doesn't contain any sub-pages, then it should be marked with file
> icon (same color states)? And entering inside file to create sub-page
> doesn't seem to intuitive. I'm not a designer, but if we stick with 4 new
> icon approach, then we need to imagine some new icons here.
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::.. <
>

> > 2010/1/26 Dmitry A. <dandre...@gmail.com>

> read more »

ky4ep

Jan 26, 2010, 7:17:49 PM1/26/10
to In-Portal Design & Interfaces Team
Phil,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

First, let me explain the thinking behind new folders (sections). For
many years we had been receiving complaints from web customers about
how confusing the old catalog was (both from the point of view of
interfaces and logic of separate pages and content). I personally had
to explain this to dozens of people who just weren't getting it. I
have thought about it for years and realized that most users actually
think of sections (pages) of a website as a tree-like structure
(hence, folders). The old approach wasn't making sense to most
people. I found that most were expecting to see same structure
(navigation) on their website as the folders on the backend. The only
difference in this approach is that every folder also has associated
built-in content blocks but essentially folders and pages on the site
is same thing in people's minds (they represent a tree-like structure)

I was afraid that it will be confusing to current In-Portal users.
After all, we have been using it for years and it is a major direction
change. I really hope it is for the best. I actually wrote about this
in the FAQs:

What are Sections? What can I do with them?
You can think of Sections as Folders on your computer. Sections are
used to organize data and content of your website but they also act as
pages of your website. For example, you may have a section called
“About Us” that contains information about your company. You can also
have subsections under “About Us”, for example: “Our History”,
“Contact Information”, etc. In-Portal will accordingly maintain the
structure and the navigation of your website. Additionally, sections
act as “folders” or “containers” for other data types. For example,
you may have products listed under the “Product Catalog” section, news
articles under “News”, etc. This allows you to easily maintain the
structure and navigation and keep everything organized on your
website.

How can I change the structure of my website?
The structure of your website can be managed through the Structure &
Data section of the Administrative Console of In-Portal. Each Section
that you see there represents a separate webpage on your website. You
can add new sections, rename, modify, and move them around like you do
with folders on your computer. Please refer to the previous question
for more information on how to work with sections.

Phil, does this make sense? Do you still dislike this idea?

I am curious to see what new users who have never seen In-Portal will
think of this. Maybe I am wrong but I hope this will be more
intuitive to new users...

Andrew

> read more »

Dmitry A.

Jan 28, 2010, 5:34:18 PM1/28/10
to In-Portal Design & Interfaces Team
Hi everyone,

Phil, I don't think Andrew meant to say that you don't have a point.
We just thought about this very long and really should have more
opinions on this before decide to change something in the interfaces
again. I hope you agree with me here?!

Anyways, let's talk about all other things you have pointed out:

1. You wanted to have Sections for tab with functionality when you are
editing a Section. Would you please list how you think it should
work / do so we have clear understanding.

2. I'll be taking care of "wrapped Search" element in Admin grid (In-
Portal 5.0.3) - thanks for pointing it out!

I think we had some other things - would you outline them again
please!.

Cheers!

DA.

> read more »

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Jan 29, 2010, 6:34:46 AM1/29/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

Andrew, the actual folder approach is good, so good that I'm confused
when it doesn't act like my favorite OS :) In fact, the only missing
thing is identifying an item containing text with a different design,
such as described before (icon with a notepad, or line background
color change). Doing so, it will perfectly reflect our everyday use
and let us see quickly what we have into the current folder.

Dmitry:

1. the section tab would be used to display the product in other
place, and would act like products categories does. I agree this won't
be for everyday use, but it can be used for example to display
specific terms or annoucement in many places on the website, just
editing on page.

2. ok.

3. I was also talking about the display in listing of page path, and
as before, clicking on the path would lead to page editing. Sounds
intuitive for me, don't you think so?

4. Clicking on the page name actually edit the page; this is also not
very intuitive, as we all are used to click on a folder to go into
submenu. Actually we need to click in left menu to go inside the
folder, no other way. In everyday use, we are more likely to navigate
into folders and subfolders than changing their properties, so I
suggest to edit the page by using Edit button or by clicking twice
inside the line, to keep the page name as a link to enter the folder,
and tp keep page path as a link to enter the editing mode.

5. I was also suggesting a text edit mode, with could be very usefull
for editing text products: text entered in description box would
display with it's line breaks (actually it just interpret HTML), and
when clicking on "advanced edition", we swith to fck editor, in the
same place. To have a clear understanding, I just ask to do the same
as gmail does for managing e-mails.

Phil.

2010/1/28 Dmitry A. <dand...@gmail.com>:
> Hi everyone,

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 29, 2010, 8:06:16 AM1/29/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
0 - so new notepad icon (or some other row background color) will be present, when page contains at least one filled (with data) block. In case all page content blocks are empty or doesn't exist at all, then we will display icon as now.

3 - this could be confusing, especially in "Show All", where path to page is shown and there will be one more field then? Will look good on "Show Structure" view, where are no path displayed. This would be really visible then super small shortcut icon near page name.

4 - completely agree with that, exactly my thoughts.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Jan 29, 2010, 9:07:38 AM1/29/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
0. sounds great, and I hope this will give a better intuitive interface usage

3. I forgot to precise my thought: it's just the "path" column which
is missing in structure, while we have this column available in "show
all". Could it be possible to have this column in Column picker pop-up
when we are in structure mode?

3.1 In "Show all" mode, the column named "path" doesn't display the
real path, but rather the names of all parents folder, and not their
real filename. It's still impossible to know the exact path to of an
element (again, when we do SEO, we add keywords in path, then the path
isn't at all like the foder name)

3.2 what do you think about this idea: transform the top title (with
blue background, on top of icons) to make each element of the title
clickable, to access directly the clicked folder, and of course
displaying the real path, and not folder name?

Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 29, 2010, 9:13:39 AM1/29/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
3 - path in "Show All" is not page path, but path to parent page (category), where this page resides.

3.2 - each element is already clickable and goes to list of pages inside clicked page.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Jan 29, 2010, 9:30:08 AM1/29/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
3. ok, but then where can we see and check the full real path of an item?

3.2 sorry, I was in the phone when I wrote my reply ^-^

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 29, 2010, 10:38:47 AM1/29/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
3 - nowhere in administrative console, because it has no functional purpose there, maybe only as link on that small shortcut icon. If we will show it in "Show Structure" view as you propose, then all except of last component (components are separated by "/") will be the same, because it's path to current category/page and only last component will be different. This field really makes sense in "Show All" view, where all pages are mixed together no matter of they origin.

Dmitry A.

Jan 29, 2010, 12:39:44 PM1/29/10
to In-Portal Design & Interfaces Team
Hi guys,

These are my responses:

0 - so new notepad icon (or some other row background color) will be
present, when page contains at least one filled (with data) block. In
case
all page content blocks are empty or doesn't exist at all, then we
will
display icon as now.

A: Can't really visualize this... Phil / Alex are you able to provide
some screenshot?

1. Sections tab - Phil you are referring to the Product, but we have
that for Catalog Items already. I thought we are talking about
Sections tab for the actual Section. By the way it was never there.

This is what we have in "Section tabs" in default install (when adding/
editing section):

- General
- Properties
- Relations
- Related Searches
- Images
- Permissions
- Custom

Can you please clarify?

2. Wrapping Issue for Search task is created.

http://tracker.in-portal.org/view.php?id=558 - http://tracker.in-portal.org/view.php?id=558

3. I think we can add fields to Column picker (not on grid by default)
that will show:

- in Structure Mode - last part of the URL - basically filename with
mouse over absolute URL on the site?
- in Show All Mode - all parts of the URL excluding Domain and mouse
over absolute URL on the site?

Alex what you think it's possible?

4. Agree, but Andrew is against it - we need to convince him. We can
add some other shortcut to Edit the Section/Item - what you think.

5. Phil, can you explain again plz with some examples. I am having a
hard time visualizing your thoughts.

Cheers!

DA.

On Jan 29, 9:38 am, Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3 - nowhere in administrative console, because it has no functional purpose
> there, maybe only as link on that small shortcut icon. If we will show it in
> "Show Structure" view as you propose, then all except of last component
> (components are separated by "/") will be the same, because it's path to
> current category/page and only last component will be different. This field
> really makes sense in "Show All" view, where all pages are mixed together no
> matter of they origin.
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::.. <
>

> p...@domicilis.biz> wrote:
> > 3. ok, but then where can we see and check the full real path of an item?
>
> > 3.2 sorry, I was in the phone when I wrote my reply ^-^
>

> > 2010/1/29 Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com>:

> > > 3 - path in "Show All" is not page path, but path to parent page
> > (category),
> > > where this page resides.
>
> > > 3.2 - each element is already clickable and goes to list of pages inside
> > > clicked page.
>
> > > On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

> read more »

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 29, 2010, 1:11:53 PM1/29/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
0 - can't create a screenshot, since such functionality isn't even created
3 - everything is possible
5 - no need to visualize, it's exactly like gmail editor; main idea is that you don't see <br/> while viewing textarea, but they exist for fckeditor and anyone else, who is using this field's value.

> read more »

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Jan 29, 2010, 1:57:29 PM1/29/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
0. please see attached file and give me your comments.

5. thanks Alexander to have explained better than me :-)

2010/1/29 Alexander Obuhovich <aik....@gmail.com>:

icon+mods+phil.gif

Phil

Feb 4, 2010, 7:40:53 AM2/4/10
to In-Portal Design & Interfaces Team
Hello back,

I forgot something important about menus and content.

Folders can hold content, but even if it's just a folder, it's still
possible to land on an empty page, by clicking on the folder name in
the dynamic menu.

To avoid this problem (which leads me to simply remove all dynamic
menus from new websites), I'd suggest to link the "content detection"
described before with a "clickable menu option": if a menu hold
content, it's possible to click on it, if it doesn't hold anything
else than sub-folders then it just display submenu, but it won't be
clickable.

I hope I made myself clear.

About the "full path" we talked about, it's a matter of SEO: when a
serious user want to optimize his website, he needs to add keywords in
path, and thus, it become a nightmare if we need to remember all
parent keywords.

Theses 2 demands are based on my experience with customers, and I bet
I won't be the only one to ask about this.

Phil.

On 29 jan, 19:57, "Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::.." <p...@domicilis.biz>
wrote:

> 0. please see attached file and give me your comments.
>
> 5. thanks Alexander to have explained better than me :-)
>

> 2010/1/29 Alexander Obuhovich <aik.b...@gmail.com>:

> > 0 - can't create a screenshot, since such functionality isn't even created
> > 3 - everything is possible
> > 5 - no need to visualize, it's exactly like gmail editor; main idea is that
> > you don't see <br/> while viewing textarea, but they exist for fckeditor and
> > anyone else, who is using this field's value.

> plus de détails »
>
>  icon+mods+phil.gif
> 2KAfficherTélécharger

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 4, 2010, 9:24:24 AM2/4/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
About "clickable menu option":

There is "Points to Section" field, that allows you to specify any other section. This is especially useful in menus, when instead of opening empty page you want to open one of it's subpages instead.

Dmitry V. Andrejev

Feb 4, 2010, 11:30:18 AM2/4/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

About Menu part, I are you talking about making Folder icon on the LEFT tree not-clickable if there are NO sub-sections or I am missing something?

Thanks.

DA.
--
With best regards,

Dmitry V. Andrejev

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Feb 4, 2010, 11:42:24 AM2/4/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitry,

sorry I wasn't clear enought, I was talking about front-end menu.

Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 4, 2010, 3:15:18 PM2/4/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
I also understand that as front-end menu issue (see my previous post about that).

Dmitry V. Andrejev

Feb 4, 2010, 3:54:56 PM2/4/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for clarification, Phil.

I don't think we should worry about much. As Alex pointed out you can "Point it" to any other section or completely exclude from the list if I am not mistaken.

Thanks.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Feb 4, 2010, 4:41:54 PM2/4/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
I'll try theses options. the point is not to exclude from list, but
rather having it like a menu, and not a page.

I still think that the use should be as easy as possible, everyday
end-users are not programmers, they don't remember easily non-obvious
things.

We should adapt interface to users, better than asking users to adapt
to interface. (like it was 20 years before, when only few -high paid-
people were able to use a computer).

Dmitry A.

Feb 6, 2010, 1:39:23 PM2/6/10
to In-Portal Design & Interfaces Team
Hi Phil,

No doubt it should be more intuitive these days.

I think we've got carried away from our original discussion, let's try
to relist all things we need to look and decide on:

0. New Section Icon to indicate whether it has Items inside - current
me if I am wrong.

1. New Sections tab available when Editing a Section in Admin? Phil
you haven't explained this since my previous question on this - please
indicate if it's still active.

2. Resolved.

3. ADD Fields to Column picker (by default turned OFF on Grid) that
will show:

- in Structure Mode - last part of the URL - basically filename with

mouse over absolute URL on the site.

- in Show All Mode - all parts of the URL excluding Domain and mouse

over absolute URL on the site.

4. Find a way to ADD new interface Icon (or change current way) to
allow Users to go inside the Section to see it's children by clicking
on it (or new Icon next to it).

5. Improve Textarea so it treats New Lines as HTML BRs by default.

6. In Front-End Top navigation Menu change the behavior so menu
elements (sections) without sub-sections can NOT be clocked?

Please correct me if I am wrong or missing something.

Thanks.

DA.

On Feb 4, 3:41 pm, "Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::.." <p...@domicilis.biz>
wrote:

> I'll try theses options. the point is not to exclude from list, but
> rather having it like a menu, and not a page.
>
> I still think that the use should be as easy as possible, everyday
> end-users are not programmers, they don't remember easily non-obvious
> things.
>
> We should adapt interface to users, better than asking users to adapt
> to interface. (like it was 20 years before, when only few -high paid-
> people were able to use a computer).
>

> 2010/2/4 Dmitry V. Andrejev <dandre...@gmail.com>:

> > Thanks for clarification, Phil.
>
> > I don't think we should worry about much. As Alex pointed out you can "Point
> > it" to any other section or completely exclude from the list if I am not
> > mistaken.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> > On 2/4/2010 2:15 PM, Alexander Obuhovich wrote:
>
> > I also understand that as front-end menu issue (see my previous post about
> > that).
>
> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..
>
> >> Hi Dmitry,
>
> >> sorry I wasn't clear enought, I was talking about front-end menu.
>
> >> Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 6, 2010, 2:45:44 PM2/6/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
0 - new section icon OR row background color
3 - show full patch (maybe excluding domain), not just filename. Also you missed ability to specify full page url no matter of it's location in structure

6 - what's cloaking stuff, first time I hear about it

Dmitry Andrejev

Feb 6, 2010, 3:03:24 PM2/6/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Alex, Phil would please NOT skip the items when we list them since we are getting lost. I see no problem with NOT replying anything for something that was listed, but it's then hard to keep the original list together which is what I am doing over and over again...

0. I am afraid will end up with TOO many folder icons on the Grid. what if we have a field which just show number if sub-items (links, products, articles, topics and so on)?

1. Phil, please comment if this what you meant.

2. Search button Interface issue - completed.

3. Okay we need total 3 fields - please list them fully

4. Please comment if needed and post your ideas for this.

5. Please comment if needed and post your ideas for this.

6. Sorry I meant "clicking", no clocking.

Cheers!

DA.

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 7, 2010, 5:14:49 AM2/7/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
0. I am afraid will end up with TOO many folder icons on the Grid. what if we have a field which just show number if sub-items (links, products, articles, topics and so on)?

1. Phil, please comment if this what you meant.

2. Search button Interface issue - completed.

3. Nope, it's one field (hidden or not hidden by default, I don't know) in both "Show Structure" and "Show All" that will display full path (e.g. "path/to/page" without leading "/"), that will link to this page on Front-End. Ability to specify full page path (filename part with "/" in it) for each structure page.

4. I vote for row background change, this will also indicate, that page content should be entered (for pages, that should contain data, but it wasn't entered yet).

5. Please comment if needed and post your ideas for this.

6. Why menus without subsections should not be clickable? It's not a rule, that every top level menu should have submenu in it. "Home" top level menu doesn't have submenus for example and is clickable.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Feb 7, 2010, 2:16:33 PM2/7/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitry,

1. The new section tab would be used to display the content in more
than 1 location (do you agree with me on the fact that this could be
usefull?)

3. - in Structure Mode - last part of the URL - basically filename

with mouse over absolute URL on the site.

YES

- in Show All Mode - all parts of the URL excluding Domain and mouse
over absolute URL on the site.

YES

4. ADD new interface Icon: the new icon or link or whatever shoud
permit to edit content, BUT clicking on the name shoud display
children directly (making more intuitive the interface)

5. Improve Textarea so it treats New Lines as HTML BRs by default. =>
definitively YES + adding a "gmail like" link; on the top of text area
to toggle to advanced editing, and display fck in the same text area
(Dmitry, do you use gmail or need some images?)

6. Menu elements (sections) without sub-sections can NOT be clocked?
YES, and also ability to lock menus for clicking when they hold
sub-menus (they could be locked by default)

Thanks
Phil.

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 7, 2010, 2:44:15 PM2/7/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
5 - fck has a huge toolbar and it's window is larger, then any texarea, that we are using. Are you sure, that you want small inline fckeditor instead of popup version and keep in mind, that we can have multiple textareas on same form, but gmail only have one big.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Feb 7, 2010, 4:43:55 PM2/7/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Alexander,

is my idea in images.

Maybe it's not so important as most of the content editing job will be
done from WYSIWIG editor (Browse website).

I'd also ask for an automatic switch to advanced edition is there is
something than <br> tags in text, for example we can detect anything
in <> which isn't br as advanced text mode.

Phil.

2010/2/7 Alexander Obuhovich <aik....@gmail.com>:

simple-edition.png
advanced-edition.png

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 8, 2010, 1:51:50 AM2/8/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
As I've expected you've increased fckeditor height to do this. There will be jumping effect upon switch link is clicked.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Feb 8, 2010, 5:06:56 AM2/8/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Well, it was just an example, but anyway maybe the most important is
the way it works while browsing website from admin, as my users prefer
this method rather than going to structure...

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 8, 2010, 5:54:36 AM2/8/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Nothing to worry about and sorry if my post looked too aggressive. You look at picture from client point and I look from programming point and already imagine how it will work, when implemented based on screenshot.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Feb 8, 2010, 6:51:43 AM2/8/10
to in-porta...@googlegroups.com
Alexander, be sure I didn't took your post as agressive to me, it's
good if we can give frankly our though :)

You are right, I give all my opinions based on users experience (I'm
also an everyday user, as I do training session to customers). But I
still understand all programming requirements, and I try no to ask
crazy things.

I was realizing when I posted about the "gmail-like" system that most
of the time now users go to "browse structure", and we should focus on
more important things.

Phil.