Torch

Hans Fugal

Sep 18, 2008, 6:11:47 PM9/18/08
to imms-users
I'm trying to get an IMMS solution on OS X (Leopard). So far I've
managed to get xmms working (with the jack output plugin) and imms
installed (patch to come soon), and it's working great. But I'm still
stuck on getting the analyzer built, because it depends on Torch and I
am completely flabbergasted by Torch. It built easy enough, but I
can't figure out how to install "it" (whatever that means) to the
satisfaction of the IMMS configure script.

For those of us unfortunate enough to have to deal with torch
directly, can anyone give an outline of what needs to be done? The
torch docs are useless, they say "put your application in a
subdirectory and use our makefile".

Hans Fugal

Sep 19, 2008, 9:34:05 AM9/19/08
to imms-...@googlegroups.com
Figured it out. For future reference:

Extract into Torch3/ then cd Torch3, copy the appropriate .cfg file from
config/ to ./ then edit it so that

packages = gradients distributions

Then run ./xmake

Now for the manual bit,

mkdir -p /usr/local/include/torch
cp core/*.h gradients/*.h distributions/*.h \
/usr/local/include/torch
cp libs/*/libtorch.a /usr/local/lib

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Dave Schaefer

Jun 29, 2009, 12:25:27 AM6/29/09
to imms-...@googlegroups.com
Hey list,

On Sep 19, 2008 Hans Fugal wrote:
> [Analyzer depends on Torch]
> [I figured out how to get Torch working on OSX]

From the existing documentation it looks like the analyzer is an
optional component of IMMS - is that correct? If so, should it be
possible to build IMMS from source without having any Torch files
installed? Without Torch on my system, running ./configure works fine,
but 'make' outputs some torch-related errors:

"../analyzer/mfcckeeper.cc:19:26: torch/KMeans.h: No such file or directory
../analyzer/mfcckeeper.cc:20:26: torch/Random.h: No such file or directory
../analyzer/mfcckeeper.cc:21:29: torch/EMTrainer.h: No such file or directory
../analyzer/mfcckeeper.cc:22:31: torch/NLLMeasurer.h: No such file or directory
../analyzer/mfcckeeper.cc:23:31: torch/MemoryXFile.h: No such file or directory
../analyzer/mfcckeeper.cc:24:28: torch/Sequence.h: No such file or directory
../analyzer/mfcckeeper.cc:25:33: torch/MemoryDataSet.h: No such file
or directory
../analyzer/mfcckeeper.cc:26:31: torch/DiagonalGMM.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [mfcckeeper.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2"

These appear even if I run ./configure with the --disable-analyzer
switch. Is that supposed to happen?

If I run ./configure without any switches and no Torch files, it warns
me that "torch >= 3.0 required for analyzer and missing. Acoustic
analysis engine will not be built". If the build system can detect
that the analyzer will not be built, should it refrain from attempting
to build said analyzer, and possibly skip those steps entirely? Or am
I doing something wrong by trying to build without having Torch source
files installed?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Schaefer

May 29, 2010, 9:30:33 PM5/29/10
to imms-...@googlegroups.com
Hey list,

On June 29 2009 Dave S wrote:
> From the documentation it looks like analyzer is optional
> Should it be possible to build IMMS without having Torch installed?

It's been a while since I looked at this, but I believe if we add a
few '#ifdef WITH_TORCH' statements we can make torch an optional
component once again. I would like to propose the attached patch to do
this.

With the patch applied I can run './configure --disable-analyzer', and
then 'make', and have IMMS successfully compile when no torch files
are installed.

Does this sound like a good approach? Would you rather do something
else? I haven't tested the resulting .exe much but I thought I would
mention this to see what people think.

Dave

--
PS - what's the preferred way to share/propose patches? Post to this
list as an attachment? Host the file somewhere?

notorch.patch.gz

Dave Schaefer

Oct 16, 2010, 2:07:20 PM10/16/10
to imms-...@googlegroups.com
> Should it be possible to build IMMS without having Torch installed?

Following up on this: after some off-list discussion, yes this is a
bug, but it is low priority because all of the platforms that
currently run IMMS can also build torch. Very few (if any?) people who
run IMMS do not want the analyzer.

If and when we run into a platform that cannot build Torch,
refactoring the code to fix this bug will be bumped up in priority.
For more details see the issue tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/imms/issues/detail?id=2

Dave