[Ilugc] [offtopic] Netbook purchase

Ashok Gautham

May 8, 2009, 3:57:02 AM5/8/09
to ILUG-C
I was planning to buy a netbook for myself.

I narrowed down to
Asus EeePC 1000HE - 22k
Samsung N120 -
Samsung NC310 - $399

I was still kind of saddened by the fact that none of the above offer
a CD/DVD drive. I read online that that was the very purpose of
calling it a netbook. But I felt that the cd drive is going to be a a very
essential feature. There was then the latest Asus offering,
http://www.asus.com/news.aspx?N_ID=9CEa2w4Lz1370Mvz

I can max out on 30K. I need 160Gig of HD space, 2 Gig of RAM
and full Linux compatibility. I plan to install Arch/Fedora on it the very
day I buy it.

Is there another alternative. ie. A very compact USB DVDcombo that
comes in at around 2-3K so that I can go in for the NC120 that I actually
love at the moment.

Also
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G17L18?tag=epb-20&camp=211493&creative=379989&linkCode=op1&creativeASIN=B001G17L18&adid=01VG638XDTC98F6B2G7V&
I looks a little pricey and does not advertise a CD/DVD reader. But it does
give an XP downgrade CD. So It might have one. Also, how is its Linux
compatibility

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham

varadarajan narayanan

May 8, 2009, 5:40:15 AM5/8/09
to ILUG-C

> I was still kind of saddened by the fact that none of the above offer
> a CD/DVD drive. I read online that that was the very purpose of
> calling it a netbook. But I felt that the cd drive is going to be a a very
> essential feature.

Hi !

Netbook by definition is for basic tasks like browsing ,e-mail and
net-centric functions. If you want cd/dvd and also a huge HD the you
should go for regular notebooks. Netbook is not notebook.

And Notebooks with small screen sizes like 12' have always been priceier.

There is nothing to be sad about netbooks and in fact you should be happy
that netbooks put MS is a fix and gave exposure to Linux and open source .

And soon Netbooks will be based on ARM processors and Android operating
systems which will make them nothing but a glorified cell phone !

Cheers

Varadarajan

www.cloudversity.com

Karanbir Singh

May 8, 2009, 5:59:50 AM5/8/09
to ILUG-C
Ashok Gautham wrote:
> I was still kind of saddened by the fact that none of the above offer
> a CD/DVD drive. I read online that that was the very purpose of
> calling it a netbook. But I felt that the cd drive is going to be a a very
> essential feature.

Just my 2c worth... I've had as my portable a HP TC4400 for about 2years
and a bit. It came with an external USB dvd-rw drive that I've never
used. Its still in its packing.

My 'other' Laptop, mostly to do r&d and play around with, reinstall
things often and use as a demo machine is an Acer Ferrari 4005, its been
with me about 3 years and a bit. It came with a built in dvdrw, After 2
months of having the laptop, I removed it and replaced it with a similar
red coloured blank. It worked out to roughly about 8% longer battery
life ( even though I never used it, it was still consuming power ). I've
never got around to replacing that drive back into the machine.

So, what do you think you will miss the optical media interface for on a
portable ?

- KB

Kapil Hari Paranjape

May 8, 2009, 11:39:22 AM5/8/09
to ILUG-C
Hello,

On Fri, 08 May 2009, Ashok Gautham wrote:
> I narrowed down to
> Asus EeePC 1000HE - 22k
> Samsung N120 -
> Samsung NC310 - $399

As far as I know none of these come with GNU/Linux pre-installed and
so it is a bit sad to see that you have narrowed down to these!

Regards,

Kapil.

Ashok Gautham

May 8, 2009, 1:42:58 PM5/8/09
to ILUG-C
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Kapil Hari Paranjape <ka...@imsc.res.in> wrote:
> As far as I know none of these come with GNU/Linux pre-installed and
> so it is a bit sad to see that you have narrowed down to these!
I find it tough too. I hate this Vista Only choice that many of the
laptops below
offer too. I guess I can say "NO OS" and get a 2K-3K rebate... FreeDOS is what
they may install :P

Actually, the situation has changed quite a bit. My budget went up by 10K :D
(Thanks Mom!)

My current choices are
1) Lenovo Thinkpad Y450 - 418398U
2) HP Pavillion DV2
3) HP Pavillion DV4tse
4) Dell Studio15 <- Does this have a huge touchpad problem. A friend
of mine said if that has been resolved, this is the best
5) HP Probook 4510s
6) Acer Aspire 6930

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham

pavithran

Jun 3, 2009, 5:46:36 PM6/3/09
to ILUG-C
2009/5/8 Kapil Hari Paranjape <ka...@imsc.res.in>

> As far as I know none of these come with GNU/Linux pre-installed and
> so it is a bit sad to see that you have narrowed down to these!
>

> On a related note M$ is pushing the hardware companies quite hard to gain
the market share in netbooks
check out
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Microsoft_strikes_back_at_Linux_netbook_push

Regards,
Pavithran
--
pavithran sakamuri
www.pavithran.org

Sri Ram

Jun 4, 2009, 12:11:48 PM6/4/09
to ILUG-C

> As far as I know none of these come with GNU/Linux pre-installed and
> so it is a bit sad to see that you have narrowed down to these!

Dell Mini Netbooks are pre-installed with ubuntu.
See the following links:

http://www.dell.com/home/netbooks

http://www.ubuntumini.com/

--
Regards
Sriram B

Kapil Hari Paranjape

Jun 4, 2009, 1:40:14 PM6/4/09
to ILUG-C
Hello,

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009, Sri Ram wrote:
> > As far as I know none of these come with GNU/Linux pre-installed and
> > so it is a bit sad to see that you have narrowed down to these!
>
> Dell Mini Netbooks are pre-installed with ubuntu.
> See the following links:
>
> http://www.dell.com/home/netbooks
>
> http://www.ubuntumini.com/

Unfortunately, these options are not offered by Dell in India.

On http://www.dell.co.in/ I could not find any option of choosing
Ubuntu pre-installed.

Kapil.

Arun SAG

Jun 4, 2009, 1:47:08 PM6/4/09
to ILUG-C

> >Unfortunately, these options are not offered by Dell in India.
>
> >On http://www.dell.co.in/ I could not find any option of choosing
> >Ubuntu pre-installed.
>
> >Kapil.
> --

Inspiron mini 12 is shipped with ubuntu i guess (is it a netbook?)
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-12?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

yes i agree with you, we indians are not provided with options :(

--
A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows.

Aanjhan R

Jun 4, 2009, 5:58:18 PM6/4/09
to ILUG-C
On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Kapil Hari Paranjape<ka...@imsc.res.in> wrote:
> Unfortunately, these options are not offered by Dell in India.
>
> On http://www.dell.co.in/ I could not find any option of choosing
> Ubuntu pre-installed.

I think Dell recently announced the Dell Latitude 2100 netbook in
India which has the option of chosing Ubuntu as the pre-installed OS.

wkr,

varadarajan narayanan

Jun 5, 2009, 8:10:08 AM6/5/09
to ILUG-C
Hi !

Hope this helps !

http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=168

Cheers

varadarajan

www.cloudversity.com

varadarajan narayanan

Jun 5, 2009, 8:11:22 AM6/5/09
to ILUG-C
Hi !

Hope this helps !

http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=168

cheers

Varadarajan

www.cloudversity.com

Kapil Hari Paranjape

Jun 5, 2009, 10:58:25 AM6/5/09
to il...@ae.iitm.ac.in
Hello,

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009, varadarajan narayanan wrote:
> http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=168

That's a bit too far from Chennai to be placing orders!

A local vendor who appears to be friendly to GNU/Linux is
zxyware --- www.zxyware.com. At least the web site runs drupal!

I also recall that they used to have the early HCL Edubuntu
based netbooks. (Not available anymore!)

Regards,

Kapil.

Ashok Gautham

Jun 5, 2009, 12:57:24 PM6/5/09
to ILUG-C
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Kapil Hari Paranjape<ka...@imsc.res.in> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 05 Jun 2009, varadarajan narayanan wrote:
>> http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=168
>
> That's a bit too far from Chennai to be placing orders!
>
> A local vendor who appears to be friendly to GNU/Linux is
> zxyware --- www.zxyware.com. At least the web site runs drupal!

A small correction. It is zyxware.

And yeah. I am settling for an Acer Laptop (Not a netbook. I could
do with a little more power :D ). This comes pre-installed with Linux
and is being sold by a friend of a friend's father. Will post the details
soon!

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham