help me regarding Ekiga softphone

ganesh h

May 11, 2008, 4:10:23 AM5/11/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
please tell how can i make pc to pc calls in ekiga softphone, i was using yahoo msngr in xp nw in pidgin their is no option to call ,i am new to linux and using ubuntu 7.10 i cant find a suitable skype distribution for this distro........

ashik salahudeen

May 11, 2008, 4:30:25 AM5/11/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
You can just use skype.

Go to

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/choose/

click on the link that says Ubuntu7.04+

save the skype package. after the download finishes , double clik to install.

ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | shyam karanattu

May 11, 2008, 8:31:01 AM5/11/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 2:00 PM, ashik salahudeen <aas...@gmail.com> wrote:
You can just use skype.
HE cannot do it that easy :P thats a propreitary software :( which  takes away users Freedom,and i heard that skype takes away users voices too! to the american spy org or what ever.Its only because Propreitary software is EVIL  we have GNU here:) (and there by ilug-tvm:P )

Ekiga wasnt that good before, but I think ekiga is a lott better this time.I had some checks with my friends online.It IS successful.I had some calls with gtalk and yahoo users in old ekiga with minor issues, i couldnt test the new one  with gtalk users yet.(I Use ekiga 2.0.11 in last month's lenny)
So how to solve the problem?
almost all gnu distros i have seen have ekiga by default.
If you start ekiga,it should show u some druid(wizzard),or else u can get it from the menu as configuration druid(മാറ്റം വരുത്തുക-‍> configuration druid). Inorder to start using ekiga you want to have an ekiga account The druid,provides the link to register for an ekiga account.So you can make it from the druid ,which leads you to the website to register.after registering,u can give the username and password in the druid and continue with the druid settings i.e  choose the connection which is appropriate(dont leave it as 56k when u have broadband;-), choose audio and video devices (those should be the default)and finish.
As u finish,ekiga phone should show u whether it could connect or not.. or else go to Tools->General History(ഉപകരണങ്ങള്‍->സാധാരണയുള്ള വിവരം) to see the log of messages.
If its successful,
u can call 5...@ekiga.net(i.e. at ur ekiga, it will be like sip:5...@ekiga.net) which provides a facility that echoes back the sound u say,after an introduction.

Using gtalk2voip.com which is a gate way,by inviting people by giving their gmail/yahoo id at the site gtalk2voip.com,u can call gtalk,yahoo users too! say the user on other side to accept the invitation from ser...@gtalk2voip.com
and give the sip id if the user is us...@gmail.com ,it should be like,
sip:user%gmail.com@gtalk.gtalk2voip.com
or if its us...@yahoo.co.in,
sip:user%yahoo.co.in@yahoo.gtal2voip.com

pls call sip; aeshyamae at ekiga.net ,i would like to recieve calls before 8 am when i have free net time:)

Visit zerobeat.in for yet another free software to call gtalk users and check out wengophone,which is another free software voip phone Having pc-to-phone prices less than nasty skype

Happy calling
Shyam.k

ashik salahudeen

May 11, 2008, 8:34:19 AM5/11/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Hmm nice :) Thanks syam for that small writeup ;).

ashik salahudeen

May 11, 2008, 8:35:37 AM5/11/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
GyachE is said to support Yahoo voice chat. I havent tried though.

Anivar Aravind

May 11, 2008, 9:08:37 AM5/11/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
ashik salahudeen wrote:
> Hmm nice :) Thanks syam for that small writeup ;).

Ashik,

It will be good if we can start a Usergroup page in FCI wikia and
Document these notes

I found that Evdo howto is also worth to upload

Anivar

ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | shyam karanattu

May 11, 2008, 10:01:49 AM5/11/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Anivar Aravind <ani...@movingrepublic.org> wrote:

Ashik,

It will be good if we can start a Usergroup page in FCI wikia and
Document these notes

I found that Evdo howto is also worth to upload
and Broadband howto too though in two threads.I already reffered that to  two of my friends.
Great Work!

Thanks
Shyam.k

ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | shyam karanattu

May 11, 2008, 1:46:22 PM5/11/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Hi this is to convey my heart full joy of having a successful,neat call with my aunt at yahoo.and several other good friends at ekiga.
I think NOW especially 2.0.11 IS able to replace 3 others(gtalk,yahoo,skype)BY its technical ability too,other than the bigger ethical ability of being a free software.

And here is a maths.I took a 10 mins(9:37) length call to my aunt using yahoo and my network monitor counted less than 6mb
what u say? deal?

thanks guys..,

Happy Calling
Shyam.k

ganesh h

May 12, 2008, 8:01:57 AM5/12/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

Shyam.k

skype is not working in ubuntu 7.10 during installation of the package it says error i386

Rajiv Nair

May 12, 2008, 8:05:40 AM5/12/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
@ganesh

Are you by any chance running the 64-bit edition of ubuntu 7.10?
--
Rajiv R Nair

"Love, Peace, GNU/Linux..."

ganesh h

May 12, 2008, 5:04:34 PM5/12/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
yes am running 64 bit edition of ubuntu 7.10