desktop problem

Junise Safvan

Nov 25, 2008, 3:49:09 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
hi,
i have a problem with my friend's laptop. installed ubuntu 8.04 in it and upgraded it to ubuntustudio. but he only need simple ubuntu. so i reinstalled ubuntu desktop. but now the problem comes....

wat ever wall papers we set changes to the default hardy wallpaper when restarted. the no: of workspaces also got changed to the default no: (2).

please help me....

--
with love

Junise Safvan
+919746283383
ascent
Advanced Studies & Career in Engineering 'N' Technology
calicut
visit us @
http://www.orkut.com/Home.aspx?xid=15179132115688190630

http://ascentengineers.org

http://junisesafvanishere.blogspot.com/

http://code.google.com/p/ascentengineers/

Syam

Nov 25, 2008, 4:11:03 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Did you try using an image which resides in your home directory? If
mounting of partitions fails during boot (for whatever reason), the
wallpaper iage might be inaccessible.

I'm not sure if that's the problem. Please check and revert. And if it
doesn't work, feel free to download Fedora 10 tomorrow and install
it.. he he..

Thanks and regards,

Syam
--
Regards,

Syam
sya...@gmail.com

Junise Safvan

Nov 25, 2008, 4:15:49 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
i dont think its a good thing to  leave the complaint abruptly and go for another distro....

yes i used the picture in the home folder itself

Syam

Nov 25, 2008, 4:20:25 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
> "i dont think its a good thing to leave the complaint abruptly and go for another distro...."

That suggestion was on the lighter side of things. <sarcasm>Perhaps I
should've used some markup tags</sarcasm>

--
Regards,

Syam
sya...@gmail.com

Junise Safvan

Nov 25, 2008, 4:23:40 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
i think it is the problem with gnome environment......

Syam

Nov 25, 2008, 4:27:40 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Well.. in that case, if there are not much of application settings,
you can try deleting .gnome and .gnome2 directories. Perhaps you've
already done that :-(

Syam

On 11/25/08, Junise Safvan <junise...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Regards,

Syam
sya...@gmail.com

Junise Safvan

Nov 25, 2008, 4:39:36 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
not working with the deletion of those files

Manilal K M

Nov 25, 2008, 5:06:59 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
May be you should also try removing the cache/temporary files in /tmp

2008/11/25 Junise Safvan <junise...@gmail.com>:

--
Manilal K M : മണിലാല്‍ കെ എം.
http://libregeek.blogspot.com

Junise Safvan

Nov 25, 2008, 6:53:36 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
manilal....
oru rakshayumilla......

Manilal K M

Nov 25, 2008, 7:00:51 AM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
How did you re-installed ubuntu ?

Praveen A

Nov 25, 2008, 4:24:21 PM11/25/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2008/11/25 Junise Safvan <junise...@gmail.com>:

> hi,
> i have a problem with my friend's laptop. installed ubuntu 8.04 in it and
> upgraded it to ubuntustudio. but he only need simple ubuntu. so i
> reinstalled ubuntu desktop. but now the problem comes....
>
> wat ever wall papers we set changes to the default hardy wallpaper when
> restarted. the no: of workspaces also got changed to the default no: (2).
>
> please help me....

Try creating a new user and see if the problem persists.
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)

ranjith s

Nov 26, 2008, 1:17:03 AM11/26/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Try creating a new user and see if the problem persists.
then still have the same problem. may be the problem with display card. or the display configuration of X11
--
Regards

Ranjith S
www.itpublic.in
Open Source Technologies

Praveen A

Nov 26, 2008, 4:15:00 AM11/26/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2008/11/25 ranjith s <ranjith...@gmail.com>:

> Try creating a new user and see if the problem persists.
> then still have the same problem. may be the problem with display card. or
> the display configuration of X11

I think it is the file permissions problem then. Who is the owner of /home?

do
ls -ld /home
and send the output