E-filing with Open-Office

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 13, 2011, 12:02:03 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Has anyone tried using the Open-Office hack for form ITR-2 from the
KSEB website[2]?
Some history for those interested: The IT website[0] only supports
the Windows platform, so two companies[1][2] had put out O-O hacks for
two (ITR-1 and ITR-2) of the Excel files provided on the government
website for folks using free formats like Open-Office.
However, one of the O-O forms ITR-2 has some errors in the conversion
for Open Office --In Part B - TI in Computation of total income, it
does not allow you to enter any figures in the following fields:
1. Salaries (6 of Schedule S)
2. Income from house property (C of Schedule-HP) (Enter nil if loss)
3. Capital gains
4. Income from other sources
This prevents the macro from tabulating the Total (Example: A + B +
Total of (I) for all fields), due to which its not possible to
tabulate the final tax payable. All help and pointers to get these
hacks working on Open-Office would be a big help.

Thanks,

[0] https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/index.do
[1] http://freedom-matters.in
[2] http://www.kseboa.org/download/utilities.html

PS: It would be even more nice if KSEB and Freedom-matters put out
documentation on how they converted them to O-O so that others can
learn </thinking out loud>

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

Jul 13, 2011, 12:17:27 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com

On 13 July 2011 21:32, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ <v...@svaksha.com> wrote:
Hi,
[1] http://freedom-matters.in

freedom-matters is not a company. That form was developed by Terence Monteiro who was working at http://deeproot.in at that time. He can be reached at terence.monteiro@gmail.com

--
Debayan Banerjee

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 13, 2011, 12:27:01 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 16:17, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 July 2011 21:32, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ <v...@svaksha.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> [1] http://freedom-matters.in
>
> freedom-matters is not a company.

Its not a company but that site is backed by Abhas of Deeproot, so if
they had not supported him (as he admits on their website) on company
t(d)ime), the O-O hack would not exist. </tangential nit-pick>

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

Jul 13, 2011, 12:29:50 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com

Actually I was working at deeproot at that time. I was still at deeproot when Terence relesed this form and yes, he did work during office hours on this as well.

When he released this form we had a mini-party in the office and Terence was gifted a token of appreciation by Abhas and rest of the deeproot team.

Without a doubt, Abhas supported this endeavour all along.

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 13, 2011, 12:35:19 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 16:29, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually I was working at deeproot at that time. I was still at deeproot
> when Terence relesed this form and yes, he did work during office hours on
> this as well.
>
> When he released this form we had a mini-party in the office and Terence was
> gifted a token of appreciation by Abhas and rest of the deeproot team.
>
> Without a doubt, Abhas supported this endeavour all along.

Debayan, How exactly is this even relevant to the question I asked. I
answered to your nit-picking about the word "company" in my first
email, that's all. Please refrain from taking threads off on a tangent
if you dont have an answer for the original query. Much appreciated,
Thanks.

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

Jul 13, 2011, 12:42:10 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com

I gave you the email id of the developer (actually i should not have for spam reasons) so you could contact him and ask for pointers. Adding a "thinking aloud" tag might not cut it you know.

And I did not nit-pick. You said freedom-matters is a company which is *wrong*.

And dont assume I wont take this forward on a tangent if you add "Much Appreciated" at the end.

Not appreciated at all. No Thanks.

--
Debayan Banerjee

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 13, 2011, 12:55:32 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 16:42, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I gave you the email id of the developer (actually i should not have for
> spam reasons) so you could contact him and ask for pointers. Adding a
> "thinking aloud" tag might not cut it you know.
>
> And I did not nit-pick. You said freedom-matters is a company which is
> *wrong*.
>
> And dont assume I wont take this forward on a tangent if you add "Much
> Appreciated" at the end.
>
> Not appreciated at all. No Thanks.

O'really? And your patronizing attitude in assuming that I dont know
how to get in touch with him or Abhas should be considered as help,
Debyan? Fwiw, did you even read the question I asked? Obviously not,
so here, let me repeat it for your benefit
<quote>

Has anyone tried using the Open-Office hack for form ITR-2 from the
KSEB website[2]?

[BIG SNIP of "some history", which is the part _you_ chose to concentrate on.]

However, one of the O-O forms ITR-2 has some errors in the conversion
for Open Office --In Part B - TI in Computation of total income, it
does not allow you to enter any figures in the following fields:
1. Salaries (6 of Schedule S)
2. Income from house property (C of Schedule-HP) (Enter nil if loss)
3. Capital gains
4. Income from other sources
This prevents the macro from tabulating the Total (Example: A + B +
Total of (I) for all fields), due to which its not possible to
tabulate the final tax payable. All help and pointers to get these
hacks working on Open-Office would be a big help.

</quote>

FWIW, IF _you_ had actually bothered to _read_ my first email you
would have noticed that a large part of the question was on ITR-2
which has nothing to do with freedom-matters, Terence, or you. But,
yes, you did chose to take the thread off on an irrelevant tangent,
with some patronizing nit-picking and in general being unhelpful
because my question had nothing to do with ITR-1 whatsoever. And,
since you dont appreciate politeness, I'll save the 'thanks'.

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

Jul 13, 2011, 1:08:13 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On 13 July 2011 22:25, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ <v...@svaksha.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 16:42, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I gave you the email id of the developer (actually i should not have for
> spam reasons) so you could contact him and ask for pointers. Adding a
> "thinking aloud" tag might not cut it you know.
>
> And I did not nit-pick. You said freedom-matters is a company which is
> *wrong*.
>
> And dont assume I wont take this forward on a tangent if you add "Much
> Appreciated" at the end.
>
> Not appreciated at all. No Thanks.

O'really? And your patronizing attitude in assuming that I dont know
how to get in touch with him or Abhas should be considered as help,
Debyan? Fwiw, did you even read the question I asked? Obviously not,
so here, let me repeat it for your benefit

And I am supposed to know that you know Abhas and have his contact details? Even if you do know Abhas it does not necessarily mean you get Terence's id from him. I gave that to you.

And you could just have been conservative and not announced freedom-matters as a company, and you could also have chosen not be offended at my pointing it out.

Being an ex-employee of deeproot I felt like pointing out the real company behind the effort. (again I was not aware of your past exposure to deeproot/Abhas)

You lack tolerance (so do I). You choose to sugar coat that intolerance with "much appreciated" and "thank yous". I lay things out straight,.

<quote>
[...]

I replied to your mail with Terence's mail id. That you chose to ignore. Instead you highlight the other part of my mail, which was factually correct. It was an extremely minor thing. Your ego got hurt. Not my problem.

And do save the thanks the next time you do not really mean it.

--
Debayan Banerjee

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 13, 2011, 1:33:22 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 17:08, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I am supposed to know that you know Abhas and have his contact details?
> Even if you do know Abhas it does not necessarily mean you get Terence's id
> from him. I gave that to you.
>
> And you could just have been conservative and not announced freedom-matters
> as a company, and you could also have chosen not be offended at my pointing
> it out.
>
> Being an ex-employee of deeproot I felt like pointing out the real company
> behind the effort. (again I was not aware of your past exposure to
> deeproot/Abhas)
>
> You lack tolerance (so do I). You choose to sugar coat that intolerance with
> "much appreciated" and "thank yous". I lay things out straight,.

Ad hominem[0]?
[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

> correct. It was an extremely minor thing. Your ego got hurt. Not my problem.
>
> And do save the thanks the next time you do not really mean it.

More Ad hominem? Nice, but there are too many logical fallacies[1] in
your emails(s) so I wont bother to waste others time and mine. Feel
free to continue with the illogical rants. I'm ignoring it.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Logical_fallacies

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

Jul 13, 2011, 1:38:55 PM7/13/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com

The distaste is mutual madam. Wikipedia does not do much to hide your nit-picky intolerance. Ad hominem withal.

--
Debayan Banerjee

Balachandran Sivakumar

Jul 14, 2011, 2:40:54 AM7/14/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Freedom matters site gives an email to report bugs(
itr-for...@freedom-matters.in) did you try that ? Did you get any
response if yes ? But, what has this comment above of yours got to do
with the fact that freedom matters is not a company ? Thanks

--
Thank you
Balachandran Sivakumar

Arise Awake and stop not till the goal is reached.

Mail: benig...@gmail.com
Blog: http://benignbala.wordpress.com/

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 14, 2011, 7:30:53 AM7/14/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 06:40, Balachandran Sivakumar
<benig...@gmail.com> wrote:

>            Freedom matters site gives an email to report bugs(
> itr-for...@freedom-matters.in) did you try that ? Did you get any
> response if yes ? But, what has this comment above of yours got to do
> with the fact that freedom matters is not a company ? Thanks

Did you read the question at all? If you had read it, you will notice
that my question was about the "ITR-2 form" not working --THAT has
nothing to do with freedom-matters or the word 'company' that you both
are intent on harping about. I realise that folks who have replied to
the thread thusfar may not have tried using ITR-2 or technically aware
to solve the problem, which is perfectly fine but by trying to answer
a question I have not asked and resorting to ad hominem personal
attacks[0] only displays a lack of basic comprehension skills.

[0] http://svaksha.com/post/2011/e-filing-income-tax-returns-in-india#comments

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

Jul 14, 2011, 7:40:07 AM7/14/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On 14 July 2011 17:00, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ <v...@svaksha.com> wrote:

Did you read the question at all?

I tried out the form at the KSEB website. I could replicate your problem on my machine as well. It says the cell is protected. If you try to unprotect it (from  Tools > Protect Documents > Sheets) it asks for a password.

I do not think the KSEB developer actually put in a password there. I read in one of the openoffice forums that during conversion of xls to ods sometimes some macro based fields get incorrectly converted to password protected fields.

I am looking into it. Will get back if I find anything useful.

--
Debayan Banerjee

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 14, 2011, 8:23:13 AM7/14/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:40, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried out the form at the KSEB website. I could replicate your problem on
> my machine as well. It says the cell is protected. If you try to unprotect
> it (from  Tools > Protect Documents > Sheets) it asks for a password.
>
> I do not think the KSEB developer actually put in a password there. I read
> in one of the openoffice forums that during conversion of xls to ods
> sometimes some macro based fields get incorrectly converted to password
> protected fields.

He didnt put a password, rather the difficulty lies in converting
closed source VBA to OO. Since the websites dont have a link to the
source code there is no way to check if their code can be tweaked. The
only option is, rewrite it from scratch.

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

Jul 14, 2011, 8:43:55 AM7/14/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On 14 July 2011 17:53, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ <v...@svaksha.com> wrote:

He didnt put a password, rather the difficulty lies in converting
closed source VBA to OO. Since the websites dont have a link to the
source code there is no way to check if their code can be tweaked. The
only option is, rewrite it from scratch.

See the attached screenshot. Is this what you get? In fact if you go ahead and try to unprotect it from the menu (as I said in my previous mail) it does ask you for a password.

The ITR1 form developed by Terence has all the macros as editable from within openoffice, which the KSEB form does not have.

--
Debayan Banerjee

Screenshot.png

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 15, 2011, 3:42:21 AM7/15/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:43, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> See the attached screenshot. Is this what you get? In fact if you go ahead

It is the same thing.

> The ITR1 form developed by Terence has all the macros as editable from
> within openoffice, which the KSEB form does not have.

Two things to keep in mind, ITR-1 != ITR-2, both of which have
different purposes and done by different people. You cant use/reuse or
substitute either of them as the IT department wont accept it 'in lieu
of'. That said, JFTR, I think there is an error in the original excel
sheet on the government website itself because I just returned from a
friends place where I tried downloading it afresh on a windows machine
and the same fields (described in my first mail) dont work. Maybe
someone with a windows machine might want to check if it works for
them. Good if it works, else the problem lies with the ITR-2 on the
govt site, not with the OO hack.

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com

Debayan Banerjee

Jul 15, 2011, 5:13:20 AM7/15/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On 15 July 2011 13:12, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ <v...@svaksha.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:43, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> See the attached screenshot. Is this what you get? In fact if you go ahead

It is the same thing.

> The ITR1 form developed by Terence has all the macros as editable from
> within openoffice, which the KSEB form does not have.

Two things to keep in mind, ITR-1 != ITR-2,

Ya I realised that. Why I brought up the ITR-1 form again is that one can try to modify the macros from openoffice to convert it to ITR-2.

them. Good if it works, else the problem lies with the ITR-2 on the
govt site, not with the OO hack.

I think the KSEB form is a auto-converted spreadsheet. Terence rewrote the entire form and logic using macros from scratch by referring to the IT calculation formulae.

--
Debayan Banerjee

॥ स्वक्ष ॥

Jul 15, 2011, 5:36:56 AM7/15/11
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:13, Debayan Banerjee <deba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ya I realised that. Why I brought up the ITR-1 form again is that one can
> try to modify the macros from openoffice to convert it to ITR-2.
>

>> them. Good if it works, else the problem lies with the ITR-2 on the
>> govt site, not with the OO hack.
>
> I think the KSEB form is a auto-converted spreadsheet. Terence rewrote the
> entire form and logic using macros from scratch by referring to the IT
> calculation formulae.

When you say rewrote, do you mean one of the following:
o. wrote a perl script to do the grunt conversion work and redid the
macros by hand? There are some libs that do this but I'm told its
still flaky because you are dealing with VBA. I guess that is true for
any close format, but I digress.
o. rewrote the complete OO file manually.

Additionally, I'm not sure how it will mangle OO macros (hence
entries) when you reconvert it to .xls for submission. I dont think
the govt. dept will accept non-excel formats so although XPath support
exists, its still an unknown variable when you go .odt to.xls. Sadly,
even with computerization we seem to be stuck with the manual method
of "print the form and fill and send it", the simplest option
available atm.

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com