Which laptop to buy

narendra sisodiya

Dec 25, 2009, 9:13:49 AM12/25/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM, akshay khatri
<akshayk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> Well this question may seem to be out of context.
> I wanted to ask which laptop to buy ? I wanted good performance and a good battery life. Infact need it work for  we all do. Programming, College work and it will run for atleast 10 hrs a day( as per my current requirements). You all may be having experience with various range of laptops.
> Please help me out and share your experiences for my first one. Preferably in 35-40k range.
> Would dell inspiron 14 would be a good option ?
> Pre-installed Windows is not a problem for me because I am going to reformat it and install linux anyways.
>
> Thank you
>>
>> --
>> Do you have another question? Click here - http://groups.google.com/group/iitdlug/post

Dear Lazy Akshay,
Always start a new thread for new discussion, I have kept a one in
footer which says "Do you have another question? Click here -
http://groups.google.com/group/iitdlug/post" , do use this link for
posting new question from next time. Or you can compose a new mail and

Thanks

--
┌─────────────────────────┐
│    Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )

akshay khatri

Dec 25, 2009, 9:18:56 AM12/25/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou Sir

Will keep it in mind. Got carried away as I got the news that I am going to get a new laptop but which one is up to me.

So everyone, please share your experience here now.

narendra sisodiya

Dec 25, 2009, 9:24:32 AM12/25/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 7:48 PM, akshay khatri
I have used Acer4736 laptop, it worked great with fedora box. only
thing that its brightness applet won't work.

Tanay Mathpal

Dec 25, 2009, 9:37:03 AM12/25/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com

2009/12/25 narendra sisodiya <narendra...@gmail.com>

I have Dell Inspiron 1520 and it has absolutely no issues with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala.
Earlier i have used Ubuntu 8.04, Fedora 9 and openSuse 11.3 and everything worked smoothly (though the default Vista did crash once!! lol!!)

--
Tanay Mathpal
Final Yr, Computer Engineering

Alok Singh Mahor

Dec 25, 2009, 5:27:38 PM12/25/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
I purchased Lenovo G550 with freeDOS, I am using ubuntu 9.10. eveything(graphics accelator,wifi, etc) is working fine

--
Alok Singh Mahor
CSE, IIT Delhi

Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!

Abhishek Indoria

Dec 26, 2009, 12:56:36 AM12/26/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Alok Singh Mahor <alok...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Tanay Mathpal <tana...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> 2009/12/25 narendra sisodiya <narendra...@gmail.com>

Well, really! This is complicated, but you must check all of your
requirements. Its the type of question, "Hey, which subjects should I
study first?" Its your own choice, and you should look forward to it.

I personally prefer Apple Macbooks, but they are expensive :P So, I
think you should go with HP instead of Dell. Battery life is good, and
support is excellent, and yes, you'd find HP repair centers nearly in
every city.
Choose the model which appeals most to you. My bro has HP Z-530 or ZX
530, I dunno exactly, but it is that:)

Good luck,

-Abhishek

--
Abhishek Indoria
OLPC Support Volunteer

naresh babu M

Dec 26, 2009, 10:16:15 AM12/26/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Hi....I have DELL STUDIO....

I prefer only DELL Studio rather than any other Lap's like  HP.Dell is more reliable than HP or any other lap's.As most of my friends are facing problems with HP,some of these are :
  • Heating problems
  • Less battery backup
  • Less reliability
  • After one year most of the batteries will not work properly
 Where as in DELL studio there won't be any such problems.
  • Battery backup is 4-5 hrs
  • No heating problems
  • More reliable...
  • Looking nice....
But only problem with DELL is having less number of service centers.But it is not a issue as we can get the support from any where by just calling to DELL customer  care.

narendra sisodiya

Dec 26, 2009, 10:29:15 AM12/26/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
My friend has Compaq C700, Fedora 10 is working fine from last 1 year

Arjun Ghosh অর্জুন

Dec 26, 2009, 1:07:36 PM12/26/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is it possible for someone to create a wiki page to provide reviews for the performance of various Linux distros on various laptop/ netbook models?

Arjun Ghosh

narendra sisodiya

Dec 26, 2009, 2:27:13 PM12/26/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Why not you be first :)
well, here is one article which i started sometime back. you can actually start a new article.
http://lug-iitd.org/List_of_laptop_with_preinstalled_GNU-Linux_in_India

ApinderSingh

Dec 27, 2009, 3:36:37 AM12/27/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM, naresh babu M <naresh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi....I have DELL STUDIO....

I prefer only DELL Studio rather than any other Lap's like  HP.Dell is more reliable than HP or any other lap's.As most of my friends are facing problems with HP,some of these are :
  • Heating problems
  • Less battery backup
  • Less reliability
  • After one year most of the batteries will not work properly
 Where as in DELL studio there won't be any such problems.
  • Battery backup is 4-5 hrs
  • No heating problems
  • More reliable...
  • Looking nice....
But only problem with DELL is having less number of service centers.But it is not a issue as we can get the support from any where by just calling to DELL customer  care.

2 of my friends who had brought Dell laptops around a year ago experienced problems with laptop battery. One of them was able to get it changed, but they didn't help the other one even though it was under warranty period. No such problem with HP. Even there customer care executives (unofficially) accept that Dell batteries start giving problems even in the first year.

Apinder Singh
Sent from Delhi, DL, India

Tanay Mathpal

Dec 27, 2009, 1:37:52 PM12/27/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com

2009/12/27 ApinderSingh <as.n...@gmail.com>

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM, naresh babu M <naresh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi....I have DELL STUDIO....

I prefer only DELL Studio rather than any other Lap's like  HP.Dell is more reliable than HP or any other lap's.As most of my friends are facing problems with HP,some of these are :
  • Heating problems
  • Less battery backup
  • Less reliability
  • After one year most of the batteries will not work properly
 Where as in DELL studio there won't be any such problems.
  • Battery backup is 4-5 hrs
I agree with the fact that Dell has excellent battery backup of Dell but the Battery life is far from satisfactory.. Dell is not reliable when it comes to battery issues, otherwise it's the best...
  • No heating problems
  • More reliable...
  • Looking nice....
But only problem with DELL is having less number of service centers.But it is not a issue as we can get the support from any where by just calling to DELL customer  care.

2 of my friends who had brought Dell laptops around a year ago experienced problems with laptop battery. One of them was able to get it changed, but they didn't help the other one even though it was under warranty period. No such problem with HP. Even there customer care executives (unofficially) accept that Dell batteries start giving problems even in the first year.

Apinder Singh
Sent from Delhi, DL, India

--
Do you have another question? Click here - http://groups.google.com/group/iitdlug/post
Read archive - http://www.mail-archive.com/iit...@googlegroups.com/

Anshul Jain

Dec 30, 2009, 9:33:33 AM12/30/09
to iit...@googlegroups.com
dell's battery life is indeed poor. Make sure you buy an extended warranty for your product that includes the battery warranty as well if at you plan on buying Dell. Other than this Dell rocks...

--
Anshul Jain
2nd Yr, Computer Engineering