Debian package for openFOAM

Skip to the first unread message

yuva

8 Sept 2009, 14:24:4008/09/2009
to Linux User Group @ IIT Delhi
Can some one tell me a good debian repository for the software
openFOAM-1.5 or later . Compiling from source seems pretty much
difficult.

swapna singha

9 Sept 2009, 03:13:1709/09/2009
to iit...@googlegroups.com
yuva,
 R u able to install openFOAM-1.5, i tried a lot. but failed to install in linux based system.
swapna

Shakthi Kannan

9 Sept 2009, 03:53:5409/09/2009
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM, swapna singha<ssr...@gmail.com> wrote:
|  R u able to install openFOAM-1.5, i tried a lot. but failed to install in
| linux based system.

\--

It would help if you actually told what you did, how you did it, and
where it failed. What error/outputs you got etc. Please read:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

The README file is well written, and explains how to install OpenFOAM.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

manoj

9 Sept 2009, 12:07:0609/09/2009
to Linux User Group @ IIT Delhi
No i didn't compile from source yet.but I ve downloaded an rpm package
(http://www.rage.net/aero/4/i386/OpenFOAM-1.3-1.i386.rpm) and used
'alien' to install it in ubuntu. But it still shows minor errors, ll
post when successful.Plz note the version i ve tried is 1.3-1.

Shakthi Kannan

9 Sept 2009, 12:16:4509/09/2009
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM, manoj <yuvaae...@gmail.com> wrote:
| No i didn't compile from source yet.but I ve downloaded an rpm package
| (http://www.rage.net/aero/4/i386/OpenFOAM-1.3-1.i386.rpm)

\--

1.3 is old. Their latest release is 1.6.

---

| and used
| 'alien' to install it in ubuntu.

\--

Which Ubuntu version?

Using an old package version with a recent distro will break
dependencies. I'd suggest filing a request for the distro packagers to
package this software and push it in their repository. For now, you
can manually build it from sources, so you also know how it builds.

yuva

21 Sept 2009, 10:17:5021/09/2009
to Linux User Group @ IIT Delhi
Hi fellas i ve succesfully installed openFoam-1.6 in my ubuntu-9.04.
Download openfoam binary from (for 32 bit systems)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/foam/files/foam/1.6/OpenFOAM-1.6.linuxGccDPOpt.gtgz/download
and third party (necessary for openfoam) from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/foam/files/foam/1.6/ThirdParty-1.6.linuxGcc.gtgz/download
Juz follow the instructions given in
http://www.opencfd.co.uk/openfoam/doc/README.html
YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND:
1. This is a binary file and all you need to do is source the source
the appropriate bashrc file (explained in detail in README)
2. It is beneficial if you install this software in a separate user
account (as you are redirecting your bashrc it becomes difficult in
typing CONVENTIONAL commands)
if you need further clarifications mail me.

Shakthi Kannan

21 Sept 2009, 10:56:2721/09/2009
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM, yuva <yuvaae...@gmail.com> wrote:
| 2. It is beneficial if you install this software in a separate user
| account (as you are redirecting your bashrc it becomes difficult in
| typing CONVENTIONAL commands)

\--

Why is it difficult to type conventional commands? You shouldn't have
to create a new account just to use software.

You should add ". $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/etc/bashrc" (which I
believe exports PATH, environment variables) to your ~/.bashrc, so you
don't need to source the file everytime you login.

yuva

23 Sept 2009, 14:17:1923/09/2009
to Linux User Group @ IIT Delhi
when you source the bashrc file, path containing executables is set to
$HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/bin and not /usr/bin/
So when i type 'clear' (for example), it says
command 'clear' is found in /usr/bin but the path is set to $HOME/
OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6

Is there a fix for this issue?

Shakthi Kannan

23 Sept 2009, 14:27:1523/09/2009
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

\--

You will need to append the PATH and not overwrite it when you export.
For example:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/OpenFoam/OpenFOAM-1.6/bin