replacing TC .

AMIT KUMAR

Jan 11, 2010, 9:45:45 AM1/11/10
to iit...@googlegroups.com
I am a 4th sem CSE undergraduate . My college had been using the same old TC compiler for the past 2 semesters ,for many courses . Now when the 4th sem had started i want them to switch to some other environment (on Windows though) ,can somebody give a letter which i should give to my Deputy-Director/HOD ,stating disadvantages of the old TC  .

narendra sisodiya

Jan 11, 2010, 10:14:51 AM1/11/10
to iit...@googlegroups.com
> --
> LUG@IITD - http://tinyurl.com/ycueutm

What is your college name. where it is located? Better try to setup
some workshop so that we can have personal interaction.

PS: Can somebody start writing "Template Letter on wiki" which tell
"Please dump TC"
PS1: Those who to make screen-casting tutorial/VideoTutorial may
contact me (offline), I can provide facilities at my Office (Malviya
Nagar)

--
┌─────────────────────────┐
│ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )

Sharad Birmiwal

Jan 11, 2010, 12:17:45 PM1/11/10
to iit...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:45 AM, AMIT KUMAR <amitkb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a 4th sem CSE undergraduate . My college had been using the same old TC
> compiler for the past 2 semesters ,for many courses . Now when the 4th sem

I remember there was a discussion on this list where somebody was
inquiring about C/C++ for graphics and many good C/C++ compilers were
listed at that time (some worked for Windows platform too). You can
read a bit about those.

Eclipse can be a nice IDE for development. Eclipse is free and has a
plugin for C development.

My 2 cents,
SB

narendra sisodiya

Jan 11, 2010, 12:33:41 PM1/11/10
to iit...@googlegroups.com

At recent visit, at ANDC, I and Mohit were discussing about this
thing. We discussed for an idea to create a website, where users can
submit their old styled TC code and other member can provide the
latest and standard code.

OpenGL code can be used instead of graphic.h ,

You can send me old graphic.h code and we can convert them to OpenGL
code. This is can a good start. Also, Those who are studying/learning
openGL, may write wiki tutorial to quick start on OpenGL.

Also, we must produce a new book "Let us GCC" which must replace "Let us C".

these are the set of initiative which student must take to improve the
status of student community in India.

satyaakam goswami

Jan 12, 2010, 12:10:13 AM1/12/10
to iit...@googlegroups.com
At recent visit, at ANDC, I and Mohit were discussing about this
thing. We discussed for an idea to create a website, where users can
submit their old styled TC code and other member can provide the
latest and standard code.

OpenGL code can be used instead of graphic.h ,

You can send me old graphic.h code and we can convert them to OpenGL
code. This is can a good start. Also, Those who are studying/learning
openGL, may write wiki tutorial to quick start on OpenGL.

Also, we must produce a new book "Let us GCC" which must replace "Let us C".

these are the set of initiative which student must take to improve the
status of student community in India.

What about the books which already exists http://www.network-theory.co.uk/gcc/intro/ and people who have already started reselling  them in India  http://fsm.co.in/site/

-Satya
satyaakam.net

Pratik Anand

Jan 12, 2010, 12:51:38 AM1/12/10
to iit...@googlegroups.com
@Amit

its good that you are thinking of putting up a request to your admininstration to change to some better IDE than old TC.
Google the texts and you will find enough points for your claims there. But they may raise  questions like  "Most of the college computers are old, slow machines which can barely Turbo C compiler (they are very slow, often plagued with viruses). How will they will ever to run a full-fledged IDE?" So, be prepared for such things. And ofcourse, you can suggest lightweight IDEs like codeblocks or even Notepad++(its a good multi-language supported editor). And Geany is now available for Windows platform too. You can try that also.

Also try to take up a workshop for students differentiating the syntax between TC++ and GCC.
--
Pratik Anand
B.Tech - CSE (2nd year)

Blog: pratik3d.blogspot.com

Twitter: twitter.com/pratikone

Parin Sharma

Jan 12, 2010, 8:37:12 AM1/12/10
to iit...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM, AMIT KUMAR <amitkb...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am a 4th sem CSE undergraduate . My college had been using the same old TC compiler for the past 2 semesters ,for many courses . Now when the 4th sem had started i want them to switch to some other environment (on Windows though) ,can somebody give a letter which i should give to my Deputy-Director/HOD ,stating disadvantages of the old TC  .
TC has several disadvantages in my opinion:
1. the biggest one is we can't implement what we study ( in books) because TC is a 1993 thing ("Baap ke Zamane ka IDE") and after that C++ standards have changed a lot so books have changed, this causes confusion.
for example: we study namespaces in C++ just show your HOD that you can't implement that concept with TC so it is useless.
there are a lot of issues like this.

2. In the early stages IDE should not be used to learn C++ because a lot of things like linking object files etc. are not seen by students so the real basics are missed.

3. Its proprietary

Replacing graphics.h
Since it is not a standard library it can't be implemented without TC  so we shouldn't use it we can use libraries like Allegro which is open source + cross platform.

This has been implemented in other institutes too.

for allegro tuts go to

--
Parin Sharma
Another FOSS Lover,