Feature idea/request: strand aware igvtools

Steve Lianoglou

Dec 30, 2011, 12:46:11 PM12/30/11
to igv-help
Hi,

Somehow related to issue #14[1] (but not entirely), I was just
thinking it would be handy if `igvtools count BAM` could take a
`strand` option so it only produces a TDF for coverage on forward (or
reverse) strand.

Thanks,
-steve

[1] Issue #14: http://code.google.com/p/igv/issues/detail?id=14

--
Steve Lianoglou

Jim Robinson

Jan 18, 2012, 10:00:25 PM1/18/12
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Steve, we're working on this now, but with a strand option that computes coverage for both strands  (not one or the other).   Do you really have a case where you want one, and only one, strand?

Jim

Steve Lianoglou

Jan 18, 2012, 10:15:24 PM1/18/12
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

The use case I have is to be able to see a coverage-like track but to
know which strand the coverage is coming from and the only way I
thought I could do that and display it in IGV is to make a tdf for the
positive and negative strands separately.

From what you describe, I don't understand how the feature you are
working on now differs from the normal `count`-ing?

Are you making a new type of *.tdf (say) that displays coverage on the
positive strand above the y axis, and the coverage from the negative
strand below the axis (ie. as negative values), or something? That'd
be cool :-)

-steve

Jim Robinson

Jan 18, 2012, 10:22:55 PM1/18/12
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Steve, yes, that is exactly it. It will be a 2-value TDF. TDF
format already supports multiple values for a location. We'll also
give the option of computing this by read strand, or by the
"first-of-pair" strand. The latter is important for many paired-end
libraries.

Jim

Steve Lianoglou

Jan 18, 2012, 10:36:17 PM1/18/12