Trying to remove iGoogle Skins. Always returns.

geta...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2007, 6:40:46 AM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
Hi there,

For some reason, I am unable to load the skins directory after adding
the iGoogle Skins feature.

All i see when going to iGoogle is "Loading skins directory..."

I have clicked on the [x] to remove the Skins add-on, then clicked
[Close] when the "Custom iGoogle Skins : Off has been removed. Undo |
Close" options appears.

Refreshing the iGoogle page brings back the Skins Add-on with again
the "Loading skins directory..." appearing but not apparently doing
anything.

I would like to either remove the Skins add-on completely or be able
to use it. At the moment, I can do neither.

Regards,

Bonstio

Jul 19, 2007, 7:00:36 AM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having problems :-/ Can you try moving the skins
gadget to a new tab on its own? Usually it's another gadget or
something else interfering. Of course this gadget works fine for 99.9%
of users.

What browser are you using? Did you try disabling all browser plugins?

Any javascript errors you can supply me with please?

What URL are you accessing Google via? Is it http://www.google.com/ig
or another country's domain suffix?

It's hard - almost impossible - to five you an answer without a bit
more info. It sounds like a javascript error is preventing things from
happening - preventing the remove gadget from working, preventing the
skins directory from being listed and probably other things.

Hope this helps. Look forward to your reply.

geta...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2007, 9:31:06 AM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
Thanks for getting back to me.

Can you try moving the skins gadget to a new tab on its own?

I added a new tab via the "Add a Tab" button and tried to move the
skins gadget across. Though it initially cleared from the first tab,
on selecting the second tab, nothing was there and returning to the
first tab, the skins gadget was back.

I also tried to move a BBC UK Edition headline gadget the same way and
had the same results.

What browser are you using?

Portable Firefox 2.0.0.5 on a USB stick via XP and Vista

Did you try disabling all browser plugins?

Not yet, will try once I've replied here. I'd think to try that out
and it would take some time to do so I'm firing off the reply first.
Will report back later today on the result.

Any javascript errors you can supply me with please?

Not sure how I would access that but no error codes and/or window has
popped up

hat URL are you accessing Google via?

http://www.google.co.uk/ig?hl=en is my normal link but http://www.google.com/ig
give the same result when trying to remove the skins gadget

Interestingly, I'm currently running Firefox Portable via the USB at a
public library and I get the above "Loading skin " freeze but running
the iGoogle in the unpatched IE6 browser on the PCs here, I can see
the loaded skins, select a new skin and remove the gadget from the
iGoogle page. I then refresh the iGoogle page in Firefox and the
changes, including the new skin colour are applied.

Would seem therefore that the skins gagdet does not like running via
my portable Firefox setup though that could be a plugin I use.

As I have now successful removed the gadget, my request for help ends
here BUT, should you require me to further test the skins gadget, I
would be happy to help if you would like.

Regards,

Bonstio

Jul 19, 2007, 12:21:41 PM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
> Thanks for getting back to me.

NP

> Can you try moving the skins gadget to a new tab on its own?
>
> I added a new tab via the "Add a Tab" button and tried to move the
> skins gadget across. Though it initially cleared from the first tab,
> on selecting the second tab, nothing was there and returning to the
> first tab, the skins gadget was back.

OK something is deffo up here....

> I also tried to move a BBC UK Edition headline gadget the same way and
> had the same results.
>
> What browser are you using?
>
> Portable Firefox 2.0.0.5 on a USB stick via XP and Vista

Can you pls try a regular Firefox, just to rule this out :)

> Did you try disabling all browser plugins?
>
> Not yet, will try once I've replied here. I'd think to try that out
> and it would take some time to do so I'm firing off the reply first.
> Will report back later today on the result.

Sure sure

> Any javascript errors you can supply me with please?
>
> Not sure how I would access that but no error codes and/or window has
> popped up

If you use a regular Firefox, it's via Tools -> Error console

> http://www.google.co.uk/ig?hl=enis my normal link buthttp://www.google.com/ig

> give the same result when trying to remove the skins gadget

OK thx.

> Interestingly, I'm currently running Firefox Portable via the USB at a
> public library and I get the above "Loading skin " freeze but running
> the iGoogle in the unpatched IE6 browser on the PCs here, I can see
> the loaded skins, select a new skin and remove the gadget from the
> iGoogle page. I then refresh the iGoogle page in Firefox and the
> changes, including the new skin colour are applied.
>
> Would seem therefore that the skins gagdet does not like running via
> my portable Firefox setup though that could be a plugin I use.

This could well be the case - but it's not very easy for me to test
this out. I'll see what I can come with of come up with.

> As I have now successful removed the gadget, my request for help ends
> here BUT, should you require me to further test the skins gadget, I
> would be happy to help if you would like.

Thanks - it's not a veryu satisfactory experience for you. I'd like
for you to give it a fair test on a "normal" Firefox - or IE. I'll see
what I can do re borrowing a portable Firefox on a thumbdrive and get
back to you if I possibly can!

Thanks for the feedback. CHEERS

earthsfu...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2007, 1:36:28 PM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
I too am having problems removing this from my iGoogle homepage. This
is on normal Firefox 2.0.0.5. Every time I close/move/remove it from
the homepage it keeps on coming back up in the top left column. How
the heck do I remove it fully?

On Jul 19, 12:21 pm, Bonstio <bons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> NP
>

> > Can you try moving the skins gadget to a new tab on its own?
>
> > I added a new tab via the "Add a Tab" button and tried to move the
> > skins gadget across. Though it initially cleared from the first tab,
> > on selecting the second tab, nothing was there and returning to the
> > first tab, the skins gadget was back.
>
> OK something is deffo up here....
>

> > I also tried to move a BBC UK Edition headline gadget the same way and
> > had the same results.
>
> > What browser are you using?
>
> > Portable Firefox 2.0.0.5 on a USB stick via XP and Vista
>
> Can you pls try a regular Firefox, just to rule this out :)
>

> > Did you try disabling all browser plugins?
>
> > Not yet, will try once I've replied here. I'd think to try that out
> > and it would take some time to do so I'm firing off the reply first.
> > Will report back later today on the result.
>
> Sure sure
>

> > Any javascript errors you can supply me with please?
>
> > Not sure how I would access that but no error codes and/or window has
> > popped up
>
> If you use a regular Firefox, it's via Tools -> Error console
>

> >http://www.google.co.uk/ig?hl=enismy normal link buthttp://www.google.com/ig

dan.gr...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2007, 1:41:18 PM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
I'm also unable to remove this gadget.

Same problem... I can remove it or move it to another tab but then the
change will not hold.

I am running Firefox 2.0.0.4.

I do not have this trouble with other gadgets and I have disabled all
plug-ins.

However... the directory loads and I can remove the gadget when I load
my homepage in IE 6.

Firefox compatibility would be nice.

Bonstio

Jul 19, 2007, 1:43:42 PM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
OK there's deffo some kind of problem here although I don't know what
or how.. I've tested it loads on various machines / browsers and it
works for most people but there seems to be some issue. I understand
this is absolutely no consolation to you guys tho.

Please bear with me as I will work to have it resolved. I will post
these problems in the Google Gadgets API group where we will get some
more help. In the mean time, can any of you please post a screen shot
to this group please?

If you could please bear with me whilst I investigate!

Thanks

On Jul 19, 6:36 pm, "earthsfuturek...@gmail.com"

> > >http://www.google.co.uk/ig?hl=enismynormal link buthttp://www.google.com/ig

Bonstio

Jul 19, 2007, 1:52:05 PM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
I have started a thread here
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Gadgets-API/browse_thread/thread/b5b777818ae9cfce/d4c18ba02e19c94c#d4c18ba02e19c94c

If anyone suffering from this problem is willing to give me
(supervised) remote access via VNC or a Windows remote assistance
session, I'd be ready and willing to see what I could see for myself.

You may also want to install Firebug and see what comes up in the
error console there. This will also show why clicking the close button
to remove the gadget is not working.

Please sit tight!

Bonstio

Jul 19, 2007, 2:35:08 PM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
Dann from Google has very helpfully posted a reply in the thread I
mention above.

earthsfu...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2007, 4:49:31 PM7/19/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
Yeah that thread helped. Thank you. Sadly the only option that worked
was resetting my entire iGoogle page. Oh well.

Bonstio

Jul 20, 2007, 8:19:50 AM7/20/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
Here's a post from someone else who had this problem and managed to
fix it. This may help somebody.

------>8---->8----

Fixed it. Though I haven't used Windows for over a year, I am dual
booted with Feisty. It took me over an hour to update everything, but
when I finally got to a working copy of XP, I deleted the modules from
IE. It worked. Just rebooting into Linux, and they're gone.

Apparently the bug is in Firefox for sure, and/or maybe in the Linux
version, don't know, but this info ought to help you zero in on it.

Steve

------>8---->8----

f I really struggle to replicate this, I will esculate it to Google. I
know a few people and I know that the users' ability to remove gadgets
at will is of paramount importance. Imagine if it were a malicious
gadget that had got stuck.

As another work around, if you access to another machine / browser
combo, I suggest you move / remove the gadget on that and see if it
works.

BTW do you have any FF plugins installed? If so, try disabling ALL of
them.

HTH

theberg

Jul 21, 2007, 9:18:32 AM7/21/07
to Custom iGoogle Skins
I just wanted to chime in that I had the same experience. I added the
module, then when viewing the google.com/ig I could only see the
'Create' tab. I didn't see the tab bar to switch. I ended up adding
it twice more, for a total of 3 on the page. I'm not sure why, but
the first one I added eventually started working. I wasn't able to
remove any of them.

I have since removed in IE, and on immediate refresh in FF, they are
gone. Same thing with actually changing skins. The change won't stay
when made in FF, but will transfer to FF if done in IE. Ver. IE7 and
FF 2.0.0.5

extensions:
Adblock Filterset.G Updater
Adblock Plus