igoogle personalised home page

Jarrah

Feb 4, 2008, 9:13:25 PM2/4/08
to Custom iGoogle Skins
I have what sounds like a similar problem to removing igoogle skins. I
have just set-up a new computer and reinstalled Mozilla FireFox and
can no longer set my chosen homepage as the default. Each time I open
Firefox it defaults to the Dell-Google 'personalised' home page which
I do not want. I have searched high and low for a way to remove this
intrusion but to no avail. Can anyone out there help?
regards
Jarrah

Bonstio

Feb 5, 2008, 8:46:56 AM2/5/08
to Custom iGoogle Skins
Hi Jarrah,

I don't think this group is the place for this problem. It sounds like
a FF problem. All I can do is suggest you dbl check the contents of
the homepage setting visible via tools->options->main->startup

HTH

Bonstio

Feb 17, 2008, 8:10:27 AM2/17/08
to Custom iGoogle Skins
What you are saying, If I'm not mistaken, is that Firefox is not
setting your preffered homepage and instead the Dell-branded iGoogle
page remains your homepage? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Brad Collis

Feb 17, 2008, 7:02:18 PM2/17/08
to igs...@googlegroups.com
Yes ... I have since learned that Dell and Google have made a commercial arrangement to embed what amounts to spyware to impose the Dell-iGoogle personalised 'homepage' as the default, irrespective of what you set-up in the browser settings.

This so far only applies to the new Dell XPS machines.

The deal, according to several forum threads that have recently started, is that Dell and Google share the advertising revenue from the imposed default homepage.

The issue for many, of course, is that imposes on open source programs like FireFox.

Anyway, after much investigation I have discovered that it can be turned off by removing the 'spyware' software from the computer. It has been given a name that bears no resemblance to its role which is why people have not noticed it in the add/remove programs options.

Unfortunately it is on my home computer so I can't tell you immediately the name (as I say it is somewhat obtuse and deliberately so to make it difficult for people to bypass the Dell-Google deal).

regards
Jarrah

Brad Collis