iFlicks beta 1.3.5

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 1, 2011, 2:28:28 AM4/1/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have just released a new beta, which includes some major changes regarding encoding of videos. As always you can download the beta from http://www.iflicksapp.com/download/iFlicks-beta.dmg

All presets for encoding videos have been redone and improved. Even encoding of mkv videos should have a speed similar to HandBrake now.
Please test this extensively to make sure the resulting videos are working as promised.

This version is know almost feature complete and I will focus on stabilizing iFlicks and fixing the remaining bugs. This will hopefully also allow me to push updates with smaller fixes more frequently.

Thanks again for all your support. I appreciate it.

Jendrik

Jas

Apr 3, 2011, 5:01:58 AM4/3/11
to iFlicks
Will there ever be a PPC version?

On Apr 1, 4:28 pm, Jendrik Bertram <jend...@iflicksapp.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just released a new beta, which includes some major changes regarding encoding of videos. As always you can download the beta fromhttp://www.iflicksapp.com/download/iFlicks-beta.dmg

nant

Apr 3, 2011, 10:29:35 AM4/3/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Would be great if you could continue supporting Leopard/32bit. I'm running my media on modified ATV, 1st generation, which is 32bit only, and can't run the new beta.

Also, is there (or planned) a command line version of iFlicks for scripting?

Regards,

Inigo Saez

Apr 4, 2011, 1:19:14 PM4/4/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have converted few movies with dual audio (spanish and english) using "iTunes Compatible" setting, generating a .mov in about 1 minute (GREAT!!)
Everything is fine on iTunes, so they appear there, with right video and both audio tracks.

The problem is that I can't send them to my old AppleTV1 nor to my iPhone4 (message is that they can't reproduce that file).

Any idea? Is it because the option "Make it compatible with AppleTV" has disappeared in this version?

Kind regards / Un saludo

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 4, 2011, 2:47:46 PM4/4/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com

On 03.04.2011, at 16:29, nant wrote:

> Would be great if you could continue supporting Leopard/32bit. I'm running my media on modified ATV, 1st generation, which is 32bit only, and can't run the new beta.

I'll try to make iFlicks compatible with Leopard before releasing the stable version. It might just be, that some minor features might not be available.

> Also, is there (or planned) a command line version of iFlicks for scripting?

You can use Apple Script together with iFlicks for this.

Cheers,
Jendrik

> Regards,

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 4, 2011, 2:56:54 PM4/4/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
I was originally hoping so, but PPC is not supported by Apples Development environment anymore.

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 4, 2011, 2:59:53 PM4/4/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
You have two options:

1. give it a try with the option "Allow muxing of MPEG-4 Visual tracks" enabled in the iFlicks preferences.
2. choose a preset fitting for both devices like Universal

Inigo Saez

Apr 5, 2011, 3:45:55 AM4/5/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jendrik.

Unfortunately with option 1 ("Allow muxing of MPEG-4 Visual tracks") it does not work neither (I can see the movie on iTunes, but still not able to get in on ATV1 or iPhone4
I like the "iTunes Compatible" option because it is very fast and keeps the 2 audio tracks for dual movies. If I use "Universal" it is much slower and the it only converts one of the audio tracks, which is a shame --> Is there any option to keep both tracks so that I can choose language when playing it?

Kind regards / Un saludo
_______________________________________
Iñigo
Madrid, Spain

Rob Lembke

Apr 5, 2011, 9:43:31 AM4/5/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if it is related to Inigo's issue or not but since upgrading to the new beta, I've had several issues getting converted videos to display on ATV2.  iTunes Compatible didn't work and I've tried Apple TV 2 and iPad compatible - none will display on ATV2.

Rob

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 5, 2011, 10:23:50 AM4/5/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Can you please send a feedback report from within iFlicks referencing the problem? I am going to look at it ASAP.

Steve Mulcahy

Apr 7, 2011, 3:41:12 AM4/7/11
to iFlicks
Hi Jendrick,

Is there a mode similar to 'Flatten to Quicktime' which will just
convert the audio track to aac and remux the mkv to mov?

I tried using 'iTunes compatible' but it seems to convert the video.
Admittedly, it takes around 20 minutes to complete, which is pretty
impressive, but I'd like to leave the video in my mkvs fairly
untouched if they are h.264.

Thanks,

Steve

On Apr 1, 7:28 am, Jendrik Bertram <jend...@iflicksapp.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just released a new beta, which includes some major changes regarding encoding of videos. As always you can download the beta fromhttp://www.iflicksapp.com/download/iFlicks-beta.dmg

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 12, 2011, 10:30:08 AM4/12/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
The new "iTunes compatible" preset is the same as the old "Flatten to QuickTime Movie" preset. This shouldn't take 20 minutes and doesn't do any re-encoding of video.
Was the file you were processing located on your local hd? How big was it?

steve mulcahy

Apr 12, 2011, 12:14:14 PM4/12/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, I think the first one I tried was actually on a USB disk. All movies since have taken around 10 minutes to do and I just tried a Family Guy episode (720p mkv as are the movies) which took 3 minutes.

I think the fact it was on USB disk to begin with was my issue...

Thanks!

Steve

Jeaz

Apr 13, 2011, 11:37:41 AM4/13/11
to iFlicks
Hey,

First off, I gotta say big thanks for writing such an awesome app,
I've used it for ages for meta-data coding and really love it.

I saw that you with this beta should compete with HB for performance
and after running a few tests I say you are at least close enough to
replace HB.
However, I have one problem and that's with the presets.
I'm still running on a aTV 1G while waiting for it to be released in
my country and thus convert all my mkv to support it it, usually 720p
and around 2300kbit/s. More will cause a stutter on the aTV.
In your presets you have would fit Apple TV, iTunes Comp. and aTV2.
Now, the aTV preset is set to 540p which is too low and the other two
keeps the data rate too high so video can't play the aTV.

Also, ran across a "bug" or what have it, but since 1.3.4 (still there
in 1.3.5) it refuses to auto tag my videos as HD. I can do it
manually, but videos that before used to be considered HD by iFlicks
are now branded SD, and since I'm using folder actions and try to do
things on auto, it causes problems.

Finally, a feature request. I prefer grabbing cover art from
http://getvideoartwork.com since it has iTunes original artwork. Now,
I understand adding a million different sources for grabbing artwork
isn't fun but maybe add support for scanning an "artwork-folder" where
it'll look for a image with a name that fits the video, and use it
instead. Not a major hassle though, so if it's very easy to implement,
then it would be swell, if not I'll still love ya.

Kind regards
Jeaz

On 1 Apr, 08:28, Jendrik Bertram <jend...@iflicksapp.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just released a new beta, which includes some major changes regarding encoding of videos. As always you can download the beta fromhttp://www.iflicksapp.com/download/iFlicks-beta.dmg

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Apr 16, 2011, 2:01:40 PM4/16/11
to iFlicks
Hi All,

I tested the latest beta and noticed a few things tat I thought had to
be reported:
- If you select the iTunes tabs in the Preferences, it immediately
launches iTunes (even if all you want to do is make sure it will NOT
add to iTunes).
- I also selected the "iTunes Compatible" preset: I had mp4 videos
that did not require transcoding. When I pressed the Start button,
iFlicks started re-encoding the files instead of simply saving a new
copy with the metadata. On this topic, I would love it if the metadata
could simply be appended to the original file…
- I imported files that had titles in French. All words were
capitalized (which typographically is incorrect for French). I'd
rather have iFlicks leave the title as it was. Some words had accented
letters. The result was even weirder: rêve became RêVe (I suspect it
treated the accented letter as a space).

Beside that, the new version seems to be working fine for me :-)

Corentin

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 18, 2011, 4:25:06 AM4/18/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com

On 13.04.2011, at 17:37, Jeaz wrote:

> Hey,
>
> First off, I gotta say big thanks for writing such an awesome app,
> I've used it for ages for meta-data coding and really love it.

Thanks.

> I saw that you with this beta should compete with HB for performance
> and after running a few tests I say you are at least close enough to
> replace HB.
> However, I have one problem and that's with the presets.
> I'm still running on a aTV 1G while waiting for it to be released in
> my country and thus convert all my mkv to support it it, usually 720p
> and around 2300kbit/s. More will cause a stutter on the aTV.
> In your presets you have would fit Apple TV, iTunes Comp. and aTV2.
> Now, the aTV preset is set to 540p which is too low and the other two
> keeps the data rate too high so video can't play the aTV.

The problem you are experiencing might not just be related to the bitrate of the files for Apple TV 2. The Apple TV 2 preset uses some features that can cause stutter on the old Apple TV.
If you are willing to run some more test, I can send you a version which uses a higher resolution for the old Apple TV preset. From what I am aware of, the old Apple TV doesn't support full 720p (at 30fps) though.

> Also, ran across a "bug" or what have it, but since 1.3.4 (still there
> in 1.3.5) it refuses to auto tag my videos as HD. I can do it
> manually, but videos that before used to be considered HD by iFlicks
> are now branded SD, and since I'm using folder actions and try to do
> things on auto, it causes problems.

> Finally, a feature request. I prefer grabbing cover art from
> http://getvideoartwork.com since it has iTunes original artwork. Now,
> I understand adding a million different sources for grabbing artwork
> isn't fun but maybe add support for scanning an "artwork-folder" where
> it'll look for a image with a name that fits the video, and use it
> instead. Not a major hassle though, so if it's very easy to implement,
> then it would be swell, if not I'll still love ya.

I would love to support getvideoartwork. The problem is that parsing the website is error prone and something I am not really willing to so. Due to this I tried talking to them about implementing an API (see http://getvideoartwork.com/index.php?topic=761.0 ), but sadly it went nowhere.

> Kind regards
> Jeaz
>
> On 1 Apr, 08:28, Jendrik Bertram <jend...@iflicksapp.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have just released a new beta, which includes some major changes regarding encoding of videos. As always you can download the beta fromhttp://www.iflicksapp.com/download/iFlicks-beta.dmg
>>
>> All presets for encoding videos have been redone and improved. Even encoding of mkv videos should have a speed similar to HandBrake now.
>> Please test this extensively to make sure the resulting videos are working as promised.
>>
>> This version is know almost feature complete and I will focus on stabilizing iFlicks and fixing the remaining bugs. This will hopefully also allow me to push updates with smaller fixes more frequently.
>>
>> Thanks again for all your support. I appreciate it.
>>
>> Jendrik

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 18, 2011, 4:33:00 AM4/18/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com

On 16.04.2011, at 20:01, Corentin Cras-Méneur wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I tested the latest beta and noticed a few things tat I thought had to
> be reported:
> - If you select the iTunes tabs in the Preferences, it immediately
> launches iTunes (even if all you want to do is make sure it will NOT
> add to iTunes).

This happens because iFlicks has to talk to iTunes in order to get some of it settings and available playlists. There is not much I can do about this.

> - I also selected the "iTunes Compatible" preset: I had mp4 videos
> that did not require transcoding. When I pressed the Start button,
> iFlicks started re-encoding the files instead of simply saving a new
> copy with the metadata. On this topic, I would love it if the metadata
> could simply be appended to the original file…

This is really a bug in the latest beta. Will be fixed soon.

> - I imported files that had titles in French. All words were
> capitalized (which typographically is incorrect for French). I'd
> rather have iFlicks leave the title as it was. Some words had accented
> letters. The result was even weirder: rêve became RêVe (I suspect it
> treated the accented letter as a space).

I don't think this was caused by iFlicks itself. Have you checked the capitalization of the title on TMDB/TVDB?

> Beside that, the new version seems to be working fine for me :-)
>
> Corentin

Phil Spitler

Apr 19, 2011, 1:12:07 PM4/19/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have my iFlicks set up to look at a folder and it's working great.

I have two issues right now.

Firstly, iFlicks is trying to convert everything that goes in the folder so I end up with lots of unwanted files such as sample movies and files it tries to create from subtitle files etc.

I would love to be able to tell iFlicks to only look for certain file extensions such as mkv and avi. I am guessing this should be somewhat easy to add in the automater script. Also, it would be great if it ignored anything with "sample" in the title.

Also, iFlicks keeps crashing on me (I sent the crash report through the gui this morning). It only seems to happen when it is taking files from my watch folder and I'm guessing this problem would go away if we only tried to encode video files.

A feature request would be to also make the watch folder be a little more intelligent, again maybe this is just done through the script. But I would love to have the option to encode mkv and avi files to the AppleTV2 preset but if it found an mp4, simply add the metadata. Right now I just re-encode everything.

Thanks for the great product.

Phil

Nathan

Apr 19, 2011, 2:00:43 PM4/19/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
OK so I have overlooked a great feature on this app.
Phil mentioned it... "I have my iFlicks set up to look at a folder and it's working great."
How do I set this up?
Is it fully automated?
Currently I have all .mkv, .avi, mp4, etc, files that I download moved to a folder via hazel.
I would love it if they were then automatically tagged & encoded via iFlicks!
Does it look at your folder every couple of hours or it it continually looking?
Does it eat up CPU power/resources if looking 24/7?
Thanks
nathan

Phil Spitler

Apr 19, 2011, 2:20:37 PM4/19/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Yep, you simply use "folder actions" in OSX.

Choose the folder you want to watch, add a folder action and look for the iFlicks one.

Pretty simple.

Phil

Nathan

Apr 19, 2011, 3:02:08 PM4/19/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
so how do you get it to start automatically?
Don't you still have to hit the start button?

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Apr 19, 2011, 11:23:22 PM4/19/11
to iFlicks

On Apr 18, 4:33 am, Jendrik Bertram <jend...@iflicksapp.com> wrote:
[…]
> This is really a bug in the latest beta. Will be fixed soon.

Wonderful news!

> > - I imported files that had titles in French. All words were
> > capitalized (which typographically is incorrect for French). I'd
> > rather have iFlicks leave the title as it was. Some words had accented
> > letters. The result was even weirder: rêve became RêVe (I suspect it
> > treated the accented letter as a space).
>
> I don't think this was caused by iFlicks itself. Have you checked the capitalization of the title on TMDB/TVDB?

I tried with random names that cannot be in any database and I got the
same issue systematically.
Trying with the just word Rêverie itself does it.

Corentin

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 21, 2011, 12:24:08 PM4/21/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com
Depending on which Folder Action Script you use it can be all done automatically. iFlicks itself doesn't watch the folder itself, it is triggered by Mac OS. Due to this there is no overhead involved.

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 21, 2011, 12:24:41 PM4/21/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com

Will do. Thanks for reporting.

Jendrik Bertram

Apr 21, 2011, 12:30:17 PM4/21/11
to ifl...@googlegroups.com

On 19.04.2011, at 19:12, Phil Spitler wrote:

> Hi,
> I have my iFlicks set up to look at a folder and it's working great.
>
> I have two issues right now.
>
> Firstly, iFlicks is trying to convert everything that goes in the folder so I end up with lots of unwanted files such as sample movies and files it tries to create from subtitle files etc.
>
> I would love to be able to tell iFlicks to only look for certain file extensions such as mkv and avi. I am guessing this should be somewhat easy to add in the automater script. Also, it would be great if it ignored anything with "sample" in the title.

I think this should really done in the folder action script. Just have a look on the internet how to filter the extensions from filenames. It should be fairly easy to do.

> Also, iFlicks keeps crashing on me (I sent the crash report through the gui this morning). It only seems to happen when it is taking files from my watch folder and I'm guessing this problem would go away if we only tried to encode video files.

I'll check the report. Thanks.

> A feature request would be to also make the watch folder be a little more intelligent, again maybe this is just done through the script. But I would love to have the option to encode mkv and avi files to the AppleTV2 preset but if it found an mp4, simply add the metadata. Right now I just re-encode everything.

You'll have to do this through the script for know, but I am planning on extending rules support in iFlicks to do this. That way you will also be able to check for the video resolution and other things to automatically choose a preset.